We have all had a grilled turkey burger that is dry, overcooked, and under-seasoned! Let me save you from that fate ever again with this amazing recipe for Grilled Chili Lime Turkey Burgers. This is a perfectly seasoned and flavorful, juicy turkey burger recipe.
To make sure you end up with a well seasoned and flavorful grilled turkey burger I fill it with garlic, fresh lime zest, green chilies, and chili powder. These ingredients make a perfect compliment to the grilled turkey flavor.
Chili Lime Turkey Burgers for Dinner
I am all about balance when I make my weekly meal plan. I do not strive to keep EVERY night low calorie, low carb or even healthy! Sometimes we have Sloppy Joes and fries or grilled steak and Cheesy Potato Casserole. Then sometimes we have Grilled Chicken Salad or Grilled Marinated Chicken Breast and Grilled Fresh Veggies.
I love this recipe for Chili Lime Turkey Burgers as a more “healthy” option to mix into our weekly meal plan. The lean ground turkey is a great healthy meat option and by adding all the seasonings and spices it still tastes decadent.
When we have these grilled turkey burgers for dinner I like to have baked sweet potato fries and skewered & grilled onions and peppers.
…However, in all honesty, if I’m too tired to make all those sides- I might just pull out some tortilla chips with salsa and guacamole to have on the side!…it’s better than the alternative- cereal!
How to Make Chili Lime Turkey Burgers
Start by prepping your grill for direct heat.
Make a panade with 1 slice of white or wheat bread cut into small pieces, crust removed. Add in the milk, lime zest, drained can of diced green chilies, minced garlic, chili powder, onion powder, kosher salt and pepper.
Mix that all together until it makes a nice paste. This will keep your turkey burgers juicy while they are on the grill.
Add the ground turkey. You want to make sure you are using a 93% lean ground turkey. It has more flavor and has enough fat to keep your burgers from drying out.
Using a fork or clean hands lightly mix the mixture until the seasonings and chilies are incorporated evenly. Overmixing will create a tough turkey burger.
Divide your ground turkey mixture into 4 equal portions and for four ¼ lb turkey burgers.
Pro Tip: You can use a large round cookie cutter to form equal and really pretty patties!
Now press your thumb into the middle of each patty and make a small dent. That will help the burgers from shrinking into little hockey pucks on the grill.
Pro Tip: Cut a large piece of parchment paper into 4 small squares. Place them under each patty or between each patty if you are stacking the turkey burgers. This will make it super easy to pick up the raw turkey patties and put them on the grill without having them stick to the sheet pan!
Do NOT skip this step….Prep the grill grate by brushing it with a little olive oil. I also brush the raw turkey burger patties with olive oil. This will prevent the burgers from sticking to the grill.
Grill the turkey burgers over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes per side. Make sure your burgers are cooked thru to 165 degree internal temperature.
Let the burgers rest for about 5 minutes, uncovered, before serving.
Toppings for your Chili Lime Turkey Burger
I like to top my Chili Lime Turkey Burgers with pico de gallo, guacamole and lettuce. The pico de gallo and guacamole compliment the flavors in the grilled turkey burger perfectly, and the lettuce adds a little crunch. Some other good toppings for this burger would be:
- Melted pepper jack cheese
- Pickled jalapenos
- Raw Tomatillo Salsa or Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
- Fresh Jalapenos for spice!
- A squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Pickled banana pepper rings
- Red onions
- Melted Pepper Jack Cheese
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Fresh sliced avocado
- Grilled onion slices
More Grilled Burger Recipes
Chili Lime Turkey Burgers
- Grill (gas or charcoal)
- Instant Read Thermometer optional
- 1 pound Ground Turkey 93% lean
- 1 slice white or wheat bread crust removed, cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 4 ounce can Diced Green Chilies -drained very well through a fine mesh sieve
- 1 teaspoon lime zest -about 1 lime
- 1 plump garlic clove minced
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Favorite Toppings – see options listed below
- Prep your charcoal grill with an even layer of white hot charcoals, or turn your gas grill to medium heat.
- In a large bowl make a panade with the bread pieces, milk, lime zest, garlic, green chilies, chili powder, onion powder, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Form 4 equal patties. Pro Tip: Using your thumb or a small spoon place a small dent in the middle of each patty. This will prevent your burgers from shrinking into little hockey pucks.
- Don't Skip This Step: Brush your grill grate AND both sides of the turkey burgers with a little olive oil. This will help the turkey burgers to not stick to the grill.
- Grill your turkey burgers over direct heat for about 4-5 minutes per side. ** You must make sure they are cooked all the way thru and have an internal temp of 165 degrees. An instant read thermometer is a great tool to have when you grill!
- Let the burgers rest for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Serving Chili Lime Turkey Burgers
- Serve the Chili Lime Turkey Burgers on a bun with the toppings of your choice. I like pico de gallo, guacamole and lettuce. Here are some additional options:Melted pepper jack cheesePickled jalapenosSalsa Tomatillo Salsa or Grilled Tomatillo SalsaFresh Jalapenos for spice!A squeeze of fresh lime juicePickled banana pepper ringsRed onionsCrumbled queso frescoMelted Pepper Jack CheeseFresh sliced avocadoGrilled onion slices
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.