Grab a bag of tortilla chips, get the grill fired up, mix up a Margarita and make some Grilled Tomatillo Salsa! It is like this Fresh Tomatillo Salsa but the tomatillos, onions, jalapeno and garlic are all charred with a delicious grilled flavor!
More Salsa Recipes
I can eat an embarrassing amount of chips and salsa! So you know we have a lot of salsa recipes on Mom’s Dinner. Here are some others to check out:
Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
- Charcoal or Gas grill
- 1 lb ( up to 1.25 lbs.) tomatillos husk removed and rinsed in warm water
- ½ white onion
- 2-3 fresh garlic cloves
- 1-2 fresh jalapenos **see notes about heat level
- ⅓ cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt more as desired after tasting
Prepping & Grilling
- Start by heating your grill for direct heat.
- While that heats up prep your veggies: remove the husk on the tomatillos and rinse under warm water (they will be sticky, that is ok, it may not all come off)Grab two garlic cloves, leaving the paper skin on, and place in a foil packet with a little olive oil.Cut half a white onion into quarters and then skewer. It will make it easier to manuver on the grill and prevent them from falling into the grill.The jalapeno will go on the grill whole, just as is.** no need to use oil on your veggies.
- Place the tomatillos, jalapeno, onions and garlic packet over direct heat for about 10 minutes. You will want to occassionally turn the jalapeno and tomatillos so they char on all sides.
- Let the veggies cool for a couple minutes and then place them in a food processor or blender along with the kosher salt, cilantro, and lime juice.**See the notes below about what portion of the jalapeno to use.
- Blend for about 20 seconds
- Taste with a spoon or chip and add more seasoning (kosher salt) as desired.
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or with tacos, quesadillas, burritos or salads.
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.