Meatloaf Muffins are individual portions of savory ground beef meatloaf cooked in a muffin tin. This is an easy and quick way to have meatloaf for dinner.
Meatloaf is a classic ground beef recipe that is traditionally served during a Sunday family dinner. However with this easy recipe you can have meatloaf any day of the week.
This recipe also is a great make-ahead dinner. The meatloaf cups refrigerate perfectly and reheat in the microwave nicely!
If you want a non-traditional flavored meatloaf, you can also check out this Italian Meatloaf Recipe!
Ground Beef for Meatloaf Muffins
It is important to have some fat in your ground beef. It is what helps keep it moist and juicy, it also gives the beef really great flavor. When you purchase ground beef the meat to fat ratio is shown in a fraction- ex: 80/20. Which means the meat is 80% lean ground beef and 20% fat.
For this Meatloaf Muffin recipe I recommend using an 85/15 or you could go 93/7 for less calories.
I definitely would not use a 80/20 or 70/30 ground beef. That fat ratio will produce too much grease and your meatloaf cups will shrink quite a bit.
Meatloaf Muffin Topping
We are sticking with good old classic ketchup in this recipe. Nothing fancy. But, I will say when the ketchup cooks it takes on a whole different flavor. It deepens and becomes warm and savory.
If you have brown sugar glaze or tomato sauce topping you like you can absolutely swap that out!
How to Make Meatloaf Muffins
This is a much faster way to make meatloaf for dinner! Instead of cooking for an hour or more, this recipe bakes in under 30 minutes.
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees and greasing a 12 cup muffin pan with cooking spray or olive oil.
In a skillet over medium heat saute the onions and garlic in olive oil until they are softened, about 5-8 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Worcestershire sauce, fresh rosemary (could sub thyme), and tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste coats everything. Set aside.
In a large bowl combine the 2 lbs ground beef, panko bread crumbs, milk, the onion mixture, 2 lightly beaten eggs, salt, pepper, and onion powder. With clean hands lightly mix the meatloaf just until all the ingredients are distributed. It should still be a little fluffy, which will give you a more tender meatloaf (instead of a dense meatloaf).
Using ⅓ cup measuring cup portion out the meatloaf into 12 muffin cups.
Top each muffin cup with 1 tbsp ketchup.
Place the muffin tin on a rimmed baking sheet (in case you have any grease spill over). Pop that in the oven for 25 minutes until the center of the cups reaches 160 degrees.
Let the meatloaf cups cool for a few minutes and then remove them from the muffin tin and serve!
Storing & Reheating
If you have Meatloaf Muffins leftover store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
These reheat REALLY well (so they make a great meal prep)! Simply place one or two muffins on a microwave safe plate and microwave for a minute or two.
Tip: They will reheat through a little better if you cut them in half.
Bake & Freeze Meatloaf Muffins
Yes you can freeze your meatloaf muffin cups, making them a great option for meal prep (or a meal train dinner!). Simply prepare the meatloaf cups completely and let them cool. Place them in a freezer safe, airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To reheat let them thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat them in the microwave or in the oven, covered with foil, at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until the middle is warmed through.
What to Serve with Meatloaf Muffins
Like I said before meatloaf is a traditional Sunday dinner recipe. If you love a big family dinner on the weekends definitely check out my Instant Pot Pork Roast recipe or Dutch Oven Lasagna recipe, both are great for Sunday supper!
- 12 count muffin tin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small to medium yellow or white onion diced
- 3 plump garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 lbs. ground beef 93/7 is the best ratio for this recipe
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 400° and spray a 12 count muffin tin with baking/olive oil spray.
- In a skillet over medium heat saute the 1 diced onions and 3 chopped garlic cloves until softened, about 5-8 minutes.Remove from the heat and stir in the 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp tomato paste, and 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary.
- In a large bowl add the 2 lbs. ground beef, 1 cup panko bread crumbs, ⅓ cup milk, 2 lightly beaten eggs, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper, ½ tsp onion powder, and the sauteed onion mixture.With clean hands lightly mix the ingredients together. Only mix just until it comes together, over mixing will create tough meatloaf!
- With a ⅓ cup measuring cup portion out the meatloaf mixture into the prepared 12 cup muffin tin.
- Top each individual meatloafs with 1 tbsp ketchup.
- Place the muffin tin on top of a baking sheet to catch any spill-overs in the oven!
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes until the center of the meatloaf reaches 160°.
- Let rest for a few minutes and then serve!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.