This is the best recipe for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes that you will find, promise! They are creamy and rich in flavor. The best part is they cook in a flash in your Instant Pot, just pop the lid on and they are ready in 11 minutes.
Just add a little sour cream, cream cheese, butter, and milk, blend them up to a creamy consistency and they are ready to be the star of the dinner table.
If you do not have an Instant Pot, not to worry, hop over to this Mashed Potato recipe!
If you are looking for a baked potato recipe, these Instant Pot Baked Potatoes are perfect and easy!
Ingredients You Will Need
Don’t skip a single ingredient for this recipe, they all blend together for a perfect mashed potato:
- Russet Potatoes
- kosher salt
- cream cheese
- sour cream (could use a plain greek yogurt)
- milk or half & half
- 1 garlic clove
How Much to Make
When you are serving a crowd it is hard to know how many potatoes to cook! Use this to make sure you have the right amount of potatoes every time!
- Plan on making ½ lb of potatoes per person. Therefore this recipe will feed 6 people because it is 3 lbs of potatoes.
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in Your Instant Pot
Start by peeling and washing 3 lbs of russet potatoes. Cut the peeled potatoes into 2-3 inch chunks. This is the perfect size so they cook through without getting soggy.
Place the potato chunks in the Instant Pot. Pour ½ cup water over the potatoes and sprinkle with 2 tsp of kosher salt.
Pop the lid on and set to cook on high pressure for 11 minutes.
Do a quick release. NO NEED to drain any liquid! Add the sour cream, cream cheese, and butter to the potatoes. Blend with a hand held mixer… I just do it right in the Instant Pot!
Add 2 tbsp milk and 1 minced garlic clove and mix again.
Serve with butter or one of these gravy recipes:
Freezing Mashed Potatoes
Have you ever purchased frozen mashed potatoes at the store? They come in these convenient little pucks that you saute in a pan with water. Guess what?! You can freeze your homemade mashed potatoes too!
Simply scoop the cooled Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes with a small ice cream scoop or large spoon onto a baking sheet that will fit in the freezer. Freeze the pucks and then transfer them to a freezer safe bag or container.
They will be good in the freezer for about 3 months.
Thawing Frozen Mashed Potatoes
To “thaw” for serving, place the frozen mashed potatoes pucks in a skillet, add a couple tablespoons of water. Pop the lid on and saute/simmer for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until they are thawed and creamy.
Add extra butter, milk, salt and desired for consistency and taste.
Instant Pot Mashed Potato Recipe
The BEST Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 3 lbs russet potatoes, washed peeled and cut into 2-3 inch chunks
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp milk or half & half
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Wash and peel the russet potatoes. Cut each potato into 2-3 inch chunks.
- Place all the potatoes in the pot and then pour ½ cup water over the potatoes, sprinkle 2 tsp kosher salt over top.
- Pop the lid on and close the pressure valve. Set the pot to cook on high pressure manual mode for 11 minutes .
- Do a quick release. No need to drain any liquid!
- Add the sour cream, cream cheese, and butter to the potatoes. Mix the potatoes with a hand held mixer until it is well combined and creamy.
- Add in the milk and minced garlic clove. Mix again with the hand held mixer.
- Serve as is or with gravy on the side. (two gravy recipes linked below)
Add extra butter, milk, salt and desired for consistency and taste. Gravy GRAVY WITHOUT DRIPPINGS INSTANT POT GRAVY RECIPE
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.