Roasting Broccoli in the oven is one of the very best ways to prepare it! It only takes 3 ingredients and about 15 minutes to roast to perfection. The broccoli becomes tender and the edges of the florets get nice and caramelized (flavor!!). It is a great side dish that goes with just about every protein.
Only three simple ingredients to make perfect Oven Roasted Broccoli; fresh broccoli, a neutral oil like olive oil or canola, and kosher salt.
The Most Important Thing!!
Above all things… make sure that you have a baking sheet large enough to fit all your broccoli without overcrowding.
When you are roasting ANY veggie (asparagus, carrots or fennel) it is important not to overcrowd the sheet pan. If the pan is stuffed with veggies too close together they will steam instead of roast. You will still end up with a cooked veggie but they will be a little soggy and won’t have any of that delicious caramelization.
Always err on the side of too much room instead of crowding the pan.
Best Tips for Cutting Broccoli
Instead of cutting through the top of the florets, which can make a huge mess, turn the head of broccoli upside down. Cut through the stem of the broccoli to separate into florets.
Then you can cut the florets into smaller bite sized pieces or pull apart ones with multiple stems.
See photos for reference:
Easier Clean Up
To make less dishes when making Roasted Broccoli I do most of my prep on the baking sheet; cutting, oiling and tossing. No need to use a cutting board and bowl!
Also, when you are roasting anything in the oven it is a great tip to line your baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. It makes for much quicker clean up.
A Great Side Dish For…
This roasted broccoli recipe is great for just about any dinner from the grill to Italian. Here are some of my faves to pair with broccoli:
- Roasted Chicken
- Buttermilk Grilled Chicken
- BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Next Level Swedish Meatballs
- Pork Tenderloin
- 15 minute Parmesan Tilapia
More Broccoli Recipes for Broccoli Lovers
Oven Roasted Broccoli
- parchment or foil optional
- 2-3 heads fresh broccoli cut into florets
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil or canola oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Wash and cut the broccoli into smaller bite sized florets.
- Place the florets on the rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle on the kosher salt.
- With clean hands or a spatula toss the broccoli to coat with the oil.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes. (I usually land around 16-17 minutes)Optionally toss the broccoli half way through cooking.
- Serve as a great side dish!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.