Meatloaf Slider Sandwiches are the perfect combination of a small handheld sandwich and meatloaf, one of your favorite comfort food dinners! Tasty meatloaf cups, topped with caramelized ketchup are placed on slider buns and topped with melty cheese.
The best part is you don’t have to wait for leftover meatloaf, the recipe includes a quick and easy way to make meatloaf!
If you love slider sandwiches, also check out these BBQ Chicken Sliders!
Why These Are So Good!!
- With this recipe you don’t have to wait for leftover meatloaf to make Meatloaf Sandwiches!
- Making the meatloaf in a muffin tin makes them the right size for the slider buns.
- The Meatloaf recipe is DELICIOUS!
- It is made with really simple ingredients you can find at your local grocery store.
- Makes a great dinner or appetizer.
- Can be made ahead for easy dinner prep.
Pictured are the ingredients that you need to make Meatloaf Slider Sandwiches, plus some tips on a few ingredients:
Ground Beef or Turkey- You can absolutely use ground beef or turkey in this recipe. If using ground beef use a 85/15 or 90/10 to make sure your meatloaf is not too greasy. If using ground turkey purchase a 93/7 for the most flavor and moisture, avoid the 99% lean ground turkey.
Panko Bread Crumbs- Use a panko bread crumb, not traditional bread crumbs. The panko is perfect to create a panade with the milk. It keeps your meatloaf cups tender and juicy (we use this technique in a lot of ground meat recipes, like Italian Meatballs and Baked Chicken Meatballs).
Provolone- We like to use provolone. However, cheddar or other cheeses will work too. Use what you have!
Slider buns are basically a smaller version of a hamburger bun. Sliders have become so popular that they started making “slider buns”, Pepperidge Farm makes a great one.
However, we do love using the King’s Hawaiian Savory Butter Buns. They come attached in one pan, which makes them very easy to work with!
We recommend slicing the top buns from the bottom buns in one piece. See the photo below for reference:
Ketchup is a traditional and easy topping for Meatloaf. The sugars in the ketchup caramelize in the oven and become sweet and tangy.
If there is a different meatloaf topping that you like, by all means use what you like.
Step by Step Picture Instructions
Start by making the meatloaf cups, bake, then assemble the sliders, bake again and serve!
- Combine the panko crumbs and milk (panade), set aside to thicken.
- In a skillet soften the onions in oil, then add the tomato paste, garlic, and Worcestershire.
- Now in a bowl combine the egg, panko mixture, onion mixture, seasonings and beef.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non stick spray.
- Portion the beef mixture into the muffin cup, about ¼ each. Then press down lightly on each cup.
- Top with ketchup and then bake for 25 minutes at 400.
- Place the baked meatloaf on the slider buns, top with cheese, then brush the top buns with melted butter.
- Pop back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Time to serve!
You can definitely make these Meatloaf Slider ahead of time, which makes them a great weeknight dinner recipe.
Simply prepare the meatloaf cups and bake completely. Cool them and then pop them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When it is time to eat preheat the oven to 350.
Warm the meatloaf cups in the microwave for 1-2 minutes to take the chill off.
Place them on the slider buns, top with cheese, then brush the top bun with melted butter. Pop in the oven for 8-10 minutes and dinner is ready!
Meatloaf Sliders Appetizer
These sliders make a great addition to an appetizer party, perfect for game day! Here are some other appetizers you could pair with these sandwiches:
Meatloaf Slider Sandwiches for Dinner
Meatloaf Sandwiches also make a great dinner. Plan to serve 1-2 per kid and 2-3 per adult.
Since this is a pretty casual dinner recipe you can serve it with chips or fries and raw veggies with dip.
- Use 85/15 or 90/10 ground beef. An 80/20 ground beef may make your meatloaf cups too greasy.
- Sub ground turkey for a healthier option. Just make sure you use 93/7 ground turkey, not 99% lean!
- Lightly press down on your meatloaf cups before baking, it makes them a little more dense, perfect for meatloaf sandwich sliders!
- Don’t forget to spray your muffin tin with non stick spray so they remove from the tin easily.
More Delicious Dinner Recipes
Meatloaf Slider Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow or white onion finely diced
- 2 plump garlic cloves minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1.5 lbs. ground beef I like to use 85/15
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup ketchup
- 12 slider buns (see notes)
- 6 provolone slices (cheddar works too!)
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- non stick spray
- Preheat the oven to 400°, prep a muffin tin by spraying with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl combine the panko crumbs and milk, stir and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium heat sauté the onions in the oil, about 5 minutes.Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic, tomato paste and Worcestershire. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the panko mixture, egg, onion mixture, salt, black pepper and onion powder. Add the ground beef and with a fork or clean hands, mix just until it is combined.
- Divide the mixture into the prepared muffin tin, scooping about ¼ cup of meatloaf mixture into each cup. Press down lightly on each cup.Top each cup with 1 tablespoon ketchup.
- Bake at 400, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Place the muffin tin on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spills in the oven.You can check that they are cooked through with an instant read thermometer, they should register at least 165 degrees. If your meat was extra cold it may take 30-35 minutes to cook through.
- Let the meatloaf cool for about 5 minutes.
- If your slider buns came as one piece, like the Kings Hawaiian Savory Butter Buns, just slice the top buns from the bottom buns in one layer, keeping the 12 buns attached.
- Place the bottom buns on a large rimmed baking sheet. Top each one with a meatloaf muffin. Add more ketchup or BBQ sauce if desired. Evenly distribute the cheese slices across the meatloaf.
- Place the top buns on, brush the tops of the buns with melted butter.
- Place in the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.
- Slice the sliders apart with a serrated knife.
- Serve 1-2 sliders per kid, and 2-3 sliders per adult.
- They make a great addition to an appetizer party (perfect football game food)!! For dinner serve with chips or fries and raw veggies with dip.
- To reheat a lot of meatloaf slider sandwiches place them on a rimmed baking sheet, cover with foil and bake at 350 until warmed through, about 15 minutes.
- To reheat one or two sliders, cover with a damp paper towel and pop in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- To make these ahead, simply prepare and bake the meatloaf muffin cups. Then cool and pop in the fridge.
- When it is time to serve preheat the oven to 350. Heat the meatloaf cups in the microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds up to 2 minutes.Place the meatloaf and cheese on the slider buns, brush the top buns with butter. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melty and the meatloaf muffins are warmed through.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.