Instant Pot Baked Potatoes is a foolproof way for making fluffy and fork tender baked potatoes in your electric pressure cooker. Baked Potatoes make such a perfect side dish, but when they bake in the oven it can take a really long time! Making them in your Instant Pot is the perfect short cut.
Simply set the Instant Pot to cook for 15 minutes with a 15 minute natural release for fork tender potatoes. You can also rub them with olive oil and place in the oven if you like crispy skin on your potatoes.
Bonus- If you have leftover baked potatoes you can always make Potato Soup!
For this recipe you will want to use Russet Potatoes – they are traditionally used for baked potatoes.
Russet potatoes can vary dramatically in size- from 7oz (small) all the way up to a pound (large).
I recommend using the medium sized potatoes , about 9-12 oz., to give you a decent size potato and allow 4-6 to fit into the Instant Pot.
How to Make Baked Potatoes in the Instant Pot
This baked potato recipe is so easy!! Let’s get started:
Clean and/or scrub your potatoes thoroughly. Generally russet potatoes have a layer or dirt on the outside and if you want to eat the skin you will want to remove the dirt.
Poke your potatoes with a knife or fork 8-10 times so that they can release steam as they cook.
Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place the metal trivet in the bottom of your pot.
Now place 4-6 potatoes into the pot. Layering the potatoes is ok. However do not go past the “fill” line that is marked on the inside of your pot.
Pop the lid on, close the pressure valve, and set the pot to cook per the times below, based on potato size:
Baked Potato Sizes & Cooking Variations
Do a 15 minute natural release and then do a quick release to release any remaining pressure.
Crispy Potato Skin
If you like your potato skin to be a little crispy, you can crisp it up in the oven.
Heat your oven to 450 degrees.
Place the tender baked potatoes on a baking sheet. Rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
Place in the oven for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Add time for your desired level of crispiness.
Watch your potatoes carefully so they do not burn.
Baked Potato Side Dish
You can load these baked potatoes up with sour cream, butter, salt, pepper, cheese, bacon – whatever you like! They would also be great filled with Chili!
They are an amazing side dish. Here are some main entree ideas to serve with your Instant Pot Baked Potatoes:
Instant Pot Baked Potato Recipe
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker
- 5 Russet Potatoes medium sized 9-12 oz each
- 1 cup water
- Scrub or wash your potatoes clean. Then, using a fork or knife poke 8-10 holes in the potato.
- Pour 1 cup water into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the metal trivet over the water. Layer your potatoes into the pot. Be careful not to go above the fill line marked in the lining of your inner pot.
- Pop the lid on and close the pressure vent. Set the pot to cook on pressure mode, high, for 15 minutes. **see notes about larger or smaller potatoes
- Do a 15 minute natural release, then release any additional pressure with a quick release.
- Load the potatoes up with all your favorite toppings and enjoy!
For Crispy Skin
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Remove the cooked potatoes from the Instant Pot. Place them on a baking sheet. Rub them completely with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Place in the oven for about 8 minutes, flipping halfway through. Add time for your desired level of crispiness. Watch carefully so they do not burn.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.