This is thick and delicious Instant Pot Chicken Chili that is FULL of flavor! It is for sure to become your new go-to White Chicken Chili Recipe. It has all your traditional chicken chili favorites- tender chicken, chili beans, northern beans, tomatoes and all the chili spices. But this recipe goes to the next level with a little lime juice and cream cheese. Best part- it is done in about 30 minutes!
If you love chili then you are in the right place! Check out this amazing Turkey Chili Recipe or for a beef version this Classic Chili Recipe can’t be beat. For another Instant Pot chili recipe these Instant Pot Beef Chili or Buffalo Chicken Chili are both excellent! Now, if you are veg all the way then this Instant Pot Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili is going to be your jam!
Using Your Instant Pot
If this is the first time you are using your Instant Pot make sure you are comfortable using all the functions and buttons for your particular brand and model. Reading the manual is tedious but will give you a really good understanding of how to use this amazing machine!
In the Mom’s Dinner kitchen we use the Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 6 quart.
This recipe is full of traditional chicken chili ingredients. You can see everything you will need pictured below:
Keep reading below for some pro tips on a few ingredients:
Chicken base is a great way to add a ton of flavor to your soup. You can find it in the soup aisle of your grocery store, next to traditional bouillon. It will be in a jar and comes in a paste form. I like to use the Better Than Bouillon brand.
Adding a block of cream cheese to the chili makes it so thick and creamy. I recommend sticking with a full fat cream cheese to make sure it melts completely into the chili.
You can use all boneless skinless chicken breasts or a mix of thighs and breasts. You will need about 2-2.5 lbs. of chicken total.
As with any chicken recipe on Mom’s Dinner we recommend using air chilled chicken. It gives you a consistent high quality texture and flavor.
Chili Beans in Sauce and Northern Beans
There are two types of beans in this Instant Pot Chicken Chili Recipe; chili beans in sauce and northern beans.
When buying the chili beans you will be able to choose if you want mild or spicy. Totally up to your personal preference. When using the chili beans make sure you do not drain the beans. You want all the delicious sauce in your chicken chili.
We highly recommend the Brooks Chili Beans Brand.
The northern beans are the second bean used. You can absolutely choose a different bean; kidney, pinot, or cannellini bean will all work here. Make sure you drain these beans!
Adding Extra Spice to Your Chili
If you want to add a little heat/spice to your chicken chili you can add a chopped jalapeno or two when you sauté the onions, celery and peppers. Another option is to add a couple dashes of cayenne pepper when you add the seasonings.
If you like a smoky flavor you can add a couple chopped chilies in adobo sauce when you add the tomatoes.
How To Make Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
** You can also watch me make this Instant Pot Chicken Chili in a 30 minute Pinterest TV Episode here.
Turn your Instant Pot on to sauté mode and add the olive oil. Once it reads “hot” add the chopped onions, celery, green peppers and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add in the quartered chicken breasts, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, onion powder, chili powder, oregano and chicken base. Give it a good stir and sauté for another minute.
Turn off the sauté function and add in the chicken broth, both beans, Rotel, and diced green chilies.
Place the cubed cream cheese on top.
Put the lid on the pot and set to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Do a 5 minute natural release and then finish with a quick release.
Remove the chicken from the pot (there should be 8 pieces), and give it a rough chop or shred it up. Set aside.
Pro Tip: put your warm, cooked chicken in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment for about 20 seconds. It shreds PERFECTLY!!
Stir the cream cheese into the soup until it melts in. Then add the chicken back to the chili. Finish with a tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
Serve hot with your favorite chili toppings
Topping Options For Serving
You can absolutely eat this chili as is, but if you like to load it up with toppings here are a few ideas:
- sour cream/Greek yogurt
- green onions or diced white onions
- avocado or guacamole
- fresh limes
It is well known that chili gets better with time, and this Instant Pot Chicken Chili is no exception! As it sits in the fridge the flavors combine and somehow seems even more flavorful.
You can make this chili ahead and refrigerate for up to 4 days. It will thicken in the fridge so you can add a ¼ cup or so of chicken broth or water to loosen it up when reheating.
Side Dishes for Serving
This Chicken Chili is excellent served with all types of cornbread. You could also make some cheese or bean quesadillas for dipping. A green side salad would also be a nice addition.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Instant Pot Chicken Chili Recipe
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1.25 lbs.) each breast quartered
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chicken base I use Better Than Bouillon brand
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 15 ½ oz can northern beans drained
- 15 ½ oz can chili beans do not drain
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 8 oz block cream cheese cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- green onions, diced white onions, jalapenos, Fritos, sour cream/ Greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, and/or cilantro
- Turn the Instant Pot onto sauté mode and add the olive oil. Once it reads "'hot" add the onions, celery, green peppers and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 yellow or white onion, 3 celery stalks, 1 green pepper, 4 garlic cloves
- Add in the quartered raw chicken breasts, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, onion powder, chili powder, dried oregano and chicken base. Give it a stir and sauté for another minute.2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon coriander, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder or regular chili powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 tablespoon chicken base
- Turn off saute mode. Pour in the chicken broth, both beans, diced tomatoes (Rotel), and green chilies. Stir everything together.1 cup chicken broth or stock, 15 ½ oz can northern beans, 15 ½ oz can chili beans, 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies, 4 oz can diced green chilies
- Cube the cream cheese and place on top of the soup. Do not stir at this point.8 oz block cream cheese
- Pop the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to seal. Set to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a 5 minute natural release and then finish with a quick release.
- Spoon out the chicken pieces (there should be 8) and then roughly chop into bite sized pieces or shred- set aside.Pro Tip: put the warm chicken pieces in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or hand held mixer) and run for about 20 seconds. The chicken shreds perfectly!
- Add the lime juice and then vigorously stir the chili so that the cream cheese dissolves into the liquid.1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Add the chopped chicken back to the chili give it one last stir.
- Serve hot with your favorite chili toppings!green onions, diced white onions, jalapenos, Fritos, sour cream/ Greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, and/or cilantro
- Keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It will thicken in the fridge so you may need to add a splash of water or chicken broth when reheating.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Can this recipe be doubled or should I just make it twice … for 12 people?
If you have a 6 quart pot it may or may not fit in the pot. If you have an 8 quart it will definitely work.
Also a tip about doubling using the Mom’s Dinner recipes… you can hover over the “servings” in the recipe card and slide it to the number of people you are serving. It will change the ingredients to the right amount. (also if you double on this recipe you do not need to double the cook time 🙂