Thick and delicious Instant Pot Chicken Chili that is FULL of flavor! This is for sure to become your new go-to Chicken Chili Recipe. It has all your traditional chicken chili favorites- tender chicken, chili beans, northern beans, tomatoes and all the chili spices. But this recipe goes to the next level with a little lime juice and cream cheese. You are going to love it!
If you love chili then you are in the right place! Check out this amazing Turkey Chili Recipe or for a beef version this Classic Chili Recipe can’t be beat. For another Instant Pot recipe this Instant Pot Beef Chili or Buffalo Chicken Chili are both excellent! Now, if you are veg all the way then this Instant Pot Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili is going to be your jam!
Ingredients & Supplies
Here are the things you will need to make this Instant Pot Chicken Chili recipe:
- 6-8 qt. Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker
- olive oil
- green pepper
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt & pepper
- cumin, coriander, onion powder, chili powder, dried oregano
- chicken base (Better Than Bouillon is a great brand)
- chicken broth
- northern beans, chili beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies (rotel), diced green chilies
- cream cheese
Chicken base is a great way to add a ton of flavor to your soup. You can find it in the soup aisle of your grocery store, next to traditional bouillon. It will be in a jar and comes in a paste form. I like to use the Better Than Bouillon brand.
Adding Spice to Your Chili
If you want to add a little heat/spice to your chicken chili you can add a chopped jalapeno or two when you sauté the onions, celery and peppers. Another option is to add a couple dashes of cayenne pepper when you add the seasonings.
If you like a smoky flavor you can add a couple chopped chilies in adobo sauce when you add the tomatoes.
How To Make Chicken Chili in the Instant Pot
Turn your Instant Pot on to sauté mode and add the olive oil. Once it reads “hot” add the chopped onions, celery, green peppers and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add in the quartered chicken breasts, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, onion powder, chili powder, oregano and chicken base. Give it a good stir and sauté for another minute.
Turn off the sauté function and add in the chicken broth, both beans, Rotel, and diced green chilies.
Place the cubed cream cheese on top.
Put the lid on the pot and set to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Do a 5 minute natural release and then finish with a quick release.
Remove the chicken from the pot (there should be 8 pieces), and give it a rough chop. Set aside.
Stir the cream cheese into the soup until it melts in. Then add the chicken back to the chili. Finish with a tablespoon of fresh lime juice.
Serve hot with your favorite chili toppings
You can absolutely eat this chili as is, but if you like to load it up with toppings here are a few ideas:
- sour cream/Greek yogurt
- green onions or diced white onions
- avocado or guacamole
- fresh limes
It is well known that chili gets better with time, and this Instant Pot Chicken Chili is no exception! As it sits in the fridge the flavors combine and somehow seems even more flavorful.
You can make this chili ahead and refrigerate for up to 4 days. It will thicken in the fridge so you can add a ¼ cup or so of chicken broth or water to loosen it up when reheating.
This Chicken Chili is excellent served with sweet cornbread muffins.
Instant Pot Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow or white onion chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1-1.25 lbs.) each breast quartered
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder or regular chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chicken base I use Better Than Bouillon brand
- 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 15 ½ oz can northern beans drained
- 15 ½ oz can chili beans do not drain
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 8 oz block cream cheese cubed
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- green onions, diced white onions, jalapenos, Fritos, sour cream/ Greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, and/or cilantro
- Turn the Instant Pot onto sauté mode and add the olive oil. Once it reads "'hot" add the onions, celery, green peppers and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in the quartered raw chicken breasts, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, onion powder, chili powder, dried oregano and chicken base. Give it a stir and sauté for another minute.
- Turn off saute mode. Pour in the chicken broth, both beans, diced tomatoes (Rotel), and green chilies. Stir everything together. Top with the cubed cream cheese.
- Pop the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to seal. Set to cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- Do a 5 minute natural release and then finish with a quick release.
- Spoon out the chicken pieces (there should be 8) and then roughly chop into bite sized pieces. Add the lime juice and then vigorously stir the chili so that the cream cheese dissolves into the liquid. Add the chopped chicken back to the chili.
- Serve hot with your favorite chili toppings!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.