This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Mom’s Dinner at no cost to you!
We all love using our Instant Pots. It can really make meal time a breeze. You simply add all the ingredients, set it, and forget it! This recipe for Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli and Rice is no exception. Prep all the ingredients, pop them into your Instant Pot, set the timer for 12 minutes and go relax (or throw some laundry in the wash, or help with homework, or prep lunches for the next day) until the timer beeps. Then dinner is ready!
My recipe for Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, & Rice is a tasty twist on the classic comfort food, Broccoli & Rice Casserole. In my recipe you will find some of the traditional rice casserole ingredients like rice, broccoli and chicken.
However, in my recipe I try to keep things a little healthier. This Broccoli Rice Casserole is made without canned soup or butter. Instead it is made creamy with the help of plain Greek yogurt. For a little crunch I add chopped water chestnuts, which is my husbands favorite part of this recipe, you will love it too! I also add mushrooms for an extra layer of veggies and flavor.
I personally have the 6 quart 9-in-1, to be honest I am not sure I will ever use all 9 features (like the sterilize or yogurt), but I guess they are there if I want them. The main features I use are the saute, meat/stew, soup/broth, rice, and pressure cook.
The main reason that I recommend these two Instant Pots is the size, 6 quarts. This gives you the space you need inside the pot to make just about any recipe, for two people or ten people!
Did you know that your Instant Pot can also double as a Slow Cooker!!! I plan to take advantage of that feature more this winter.
Buy the Instant Pot here, thru my affiliate link. It will NOT cost you any extra, it simply supports me and allows me to continue providing awesome recipes for free on Mom’s Dinner! Thank you♥
How to Make Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, & Rice for Dinner
This is a great family dinner to plan whether you are super busy or it is a lazy Sunday. It is a very easy Instant Pot Dinner!
Start by prepping all your ingredients: chop the celery, and onions, cut the raw chicken into 1 inch cubes, drain the mushrooms, drain and chop the water chestnuts, chop the broccoli into large florets and then peel and dice the broccoli stem.
Broccoli Kitchen Tip: Last time I made this for dinner I was a little short on broccoli, so I decided to use the ENTIRE piece of broccoli that I had, that included the stem. I am telling you I almost liked the stem pieces better than the florets. So, when you make this I highly recommend peeling the stem portion of the broccoli, cutting it into 1 inch cubes, and adding it to the Instant Pot. Now that is what I call no food waste!
Turn the Instant Pot onto saute mode and add the oil. Saute the onions and celery with 1/2 tsp of salt for about 3 minutes. Add the water and the chicken base to the pot. Stir to dissolve the chicken base into the water.
Turn the saute mode off.
Add the next 4 ingredients to the instant pot in this order:
- chicken pieces
Pop the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it into place, turn the top pressure valve to “seal”, turn the pot on to Rice mode for 12 minutes.
At the end of 12 minutes do a quick release of pressure by turning the pressure valve to “vent”.
Add the chopped water chestnuts, milk, mayo, greek yogurt, and shredded cheese to the pot and stir to combine. Give it a little taste to see if you want additional salt & pepper.
Time for dinner! Enjoy!
Variations on the Recipe
This can be a pretty flexible recipe, depending on what you have in your kitchen. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Make this without the chicken for a vegetarian entree, or an excellent side dish.
- If you do not have broccoli, try making it with cauliflower.
- To add more veggies toss in a 1/2 cup of frozen peas at the end. The heat from the cooked rice will warm the peas thru.
- Use sour cream instead of plain greek yogurt.
- For a healthier version use brown rice instead of white.
- When asparagus is in season and inexpensive (spring), try subbing it for the broccoli, or add it for an extra veggie.
- If you want your Broccoli & Rice a little cheesier or creamier simply add a couple more tablespoons of greek yogurt, mayo, and a little more cheese.
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, & Rice for Dinner
This Instant Pot recipe is an all in one pot dinner. It has your veggie, starch and protein all in one, making meal time super easy.
You could also add a side salad, or an additional veggie on the side, like Oven Roasted Carrots.
Additional Instant Pot Recipes
If you are looking for other ways to use your Instant Pot here are some great IP recipe from Mom’s Dinner:
- Sausage Rigatoni with Tomato Cream Sauce
- Steak Soup
- Sausage & Kale Potato Soup
- Cajun Rice with Chicken & Sausage
- All Purpose Pulled Chicken
- Steak Burrito Bowls
- Beef & Barley Soup with Pistou
If you made this recipe, let me know how it turned out for you by rating the recipe, commenting below or dropping a pic into social media. The buttons at the top of this page make it super easy to share this recipe with your family and friends.
I hope you give this recipe for Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, & Rice a try in your kitchen!
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, & Rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped (about 1 small-medium onion)
- 1 cup celery, chopped (about 2 stalks)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp chicken base (see notes below)
- 1 1/2 cups rice (white or brown)
- 2 fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 head fresh broccoli (about 3 cups)
- 6.5 oz canned chopped mushrooms, drained
- 8 oz canned sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot on to saute mode and add the oil. Saute the onions and celery and salt for about 3 minutes.Add the water and chicken base, stir to dissolve the chicken base.
- Turn saute mode off
- Add the next 4 ingredients in this order: rice, raw chicken breast cubes, mushrooms, broccoli florets.Put the lid on the pot and lock it into place. Turn the top pressure vent to "seal". Set to cook on Rice mode, high, for 12 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps do a quick release by turning the top pressure valve to "vent".
- Add the chopped water chestnuts, milk, greek yogurt, mayo, and cheese. Stir to combine. Taste for additional salt and pepper.Enjoy!