Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread is like traditional Southern Style Cornbread that has weight and texture, yet it is still moist and flavorful. It is such a simple recipe that just has 4 steps: mix dry, mix wet, combine, and bake! How easy is that!?
Spread a little Honey Butter on a warm slice of this cornbread!
Why This Recipe is Amazing
- SUPER easy to make!
- This Cornbread has the perfect balance of salty/savory to sweet.
- The cornmeal is detectable! It has the weight and texture that Southern Cornbread should have.
- Great side dish to BBQ or Chili!
Buttermilk Cornbread just requires really simple ingredients. You probably already have everything you need!
Buttermilk – it is necessary to use buttermilk in this recipe because it is considered an acid, which activates the baking soda. If you do not have buttermilk you can actually make your own!
Buttermilk may not be something you keep in your fridge. If you don’t want to buy a whole carton, you can make your own. You just need milk and vinegar!
In a bowl combine 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon white vinegar (could also use lemon juice). Give it a stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It is ready to use!
Step by Step Picture Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prep a 9 inch round pan with some non-stick spray or oil.
In a bowl stir together the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients: buttermilk, eggs, and vegetable oil.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until they are combined. Do not overmix!
Pour the batter into the prepared 9 inch round baking dish.
Bake at 400 for 30-35 minutes.
This Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread is great served with BBQ or Chili!
For breakfast top it with fresh cut strawberries, butter and honey or syrup.
Or just eat it for a snack slathered with honey butter.
Storing & Freezing
Buttermilk Cornbread is absolutely best fresh! However if you have leftovers just store in an airtight container at room temp for 2-3 days.
You can also freeze your cornbread. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and place in a freezer bag. Keep frozen for 2-3 months.
To thaw place at room temp for 12-24 hours.
- Use a good quality (and fresh) medium grind cornmeal.
- Do not overmix your batter or you will have tough cornbread
- Don’t skip the buttermilk, it activates the baking powder in the recipe, make your own if you have to (see the recipe card).
More Bread Recipes
Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread Recipe
- 9 inch round baking dish/pan
- Optional – make this amazing butter spread- The Best Honey Butter
- Preheat the oven to 400°, prep a 9 inch round pan by spraying with non stick spray.
- Stir the dry ingredients together: cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt.1 ½ cups medium grind cornmeal, 1 cup all purpose flour, 3 tablespoon sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Whisk together the wet ingredients: buttermilk, eggs, and vegetable oil.1 ½ cups buttermilk, 2 large eggs, ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Pro Tip: Do not overmix your batter, just stir until it is combined.
- Pour into the prepared 9 inch round.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30- 35 minutes.
- Keep at room temp in an airtight container for 2-3 days.You can also freeze your cornbread. Wrap in plastic wrap or foil and place in a freezer bag. Keep frozen for 2-3 months. To thaw place at room temp for 12-24 hours.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.