Instant Pot Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili is such a flavorful and unique chili recipe that you will not even miss the beef. Bonus- it is cooks in just 5 minutes, such a great benefit of the Instant Pot! That is so much better than an hour or two on your stovetop, right?!
This quinoa chili has the perfect combo of flavors, it is a little sweet from the sweet potatoes, and balanced with savory onions, garlic and peppers, then the chili powder adds a nice warmth that you expect from chili. All-in-all the flavors are completely balanced, no one flavor overpowers the other.
You can make this Instant Pot Chili ahead if you have a busy week you are prepping for. You can make it on a day when you have a little more time to spend in the kitchen, then store it in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 5 days. The flavors will deepen with time in your fridge! When you reheat it you may need to add a little water or broth as it will thicken as it sits in the fridge.
Make Your Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili Vegetarian
I know a lot of Sweet Potato Chili recipes available are vegetarian. This one is not, but you certainly can make it that way! Simply swap the beef broth for your favorite vegetable broth.
Add Meat to Your Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili
This Instant Pot Chili recipe doesn’t include any meat, like a classic chili recipe. However, you can definitely add meat if that is what you are looking for! I recommend choosing a ground turkey (93/7), ground chicken, or ground beef (85/15) to compliment the flavors in this sweet potato chili recipe.
When you saute the onions, celery, and garlic, add the protein of your choice and crumble while it cooks for about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease and then proceed with the recipe. You may want to add a cup of water and and additional ½ tsp chili powder to the recipe to accommodate the extra ingredients.
How to Make Instant Pot Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili
Start by setting your Instant Pot to saute, once it reads HOT, add the oil, onions, celery and garlic and soften for about 5 minutes. Stir in the can of green chilies and all the seasonings (chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, garlic & onion powder). Now, turn the saute function off.
Next add in the sweet potatoes, quinoa, beef broth, and chopped bell pepper. Stir it once, then pop the lid on and lock the pressure valve to “seal”. Set the Instant Pot to Soup mode or pressure mode, on high, for 5 minutes.
Do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to “vent” at the end of the 5 minutes.
Add the diced tomatoes (undrained), chili beans in sauce, frozen corn, and 1 tablespoon of honey. Give it a good stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving. This give the beans and tomatoes a chance to warm thru and the honey to melt into the soup. It will also allow the soup to cool enough so it doesn’t burn your mouth!!
Chili Topping Ideas
You can top this chili just like you would top a classic chili. Here are some of our favorites:
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Shredded Cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Chopped Bell Peppers
- Chopped Green Onions
What to Serve with Instant Pot Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili
If you plan to have this for dinner here are a few things that go PERFECTLY with quinoa sweet potato chili
- Saltine crackers
- Raw veggie plate and ranch dip
- Indulgent Cinnamon Buns
- Tortilla Chips
- Green Lettuce Salad
Perfect Dessert for Chili
I hope you give this recipe a try in your kitchen!
Instant Pot Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili Recipe
Instant Pot Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced any color (could also use a poblano pepper)
- 1 4oz can diced green chilies
- 1 T + 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp each: garlic powder & onion powder
- pinch of ground clove a little goes a long way!!
- 1/2 cup dried quinoa
- 3 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes about a 1/2-1 inch dice
- 32 oz beef broth
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (DO NOT drain)
- 15.5 oz can chili beans in sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 T honey
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro **optional
- Turn the Instant Pot on to saute mode, once it reads HOT, add the oil, onions, garlic, and celery and soften for about 5 minutes. Stir in the green chilies and chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic, onion powder, salt, and clove.Turn saute mode off.
- Stir in the beef broth, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, and quinoa. Close the lid and lock the pressure valve to "seal", set the pot to soup mode or pressure mode, on high, for 5 minutes.Do a quick release of pressure.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, chili beans, corn, and honey. Let those added ingredients warm thru for about 5 minutes.Serve!
Toppings for Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili
- Cilantro, Fritos, Avocado, Sour Cream, Plain Greek Yogurt, Shredded Cheese, Jalapenos, Tabasco, Red Pepper Flakes, Chopped Bell Peppers, Chopped Green Onions