Hot Cocoa Cookies are such a yummy chocolate cookie treat. It is like you are eating a cup of hot chocolate. A chocolate cookie base is filled with mini marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips.
Bonus, this Hot Cocoa Cookie recipe is super easy because it is made with a chocolate cake mix!! It is so easy your kids can make it (or at least help) without anyone breaking down in tears.
Did you know you can also make Brownies with Cake Mix! It’s another easy recipe that only takes 4 ingredients.
Free Gift Tag Printable
These Hot Chocolate Cookies also make an excellent edible gift. You can print out cute love and chocolate gift tags to go along with your treats!
Hot Cocoa Cookie Ingredients
Like I said before these Hot Chocolate Cookies are made with a chocolate cake mix. The nice thing about using a cake mix is that the flour, leavener, sugar, and flavor are already mixed for you! All you have to do it add the eggs, oil, vanilla, marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips.
You don’t even have to get the mixer out. You can blend this all by hand.
The cake mix that I prefer to use is the Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge cake mix. I find that it makes for really fudgy cookies. And who doesn’t love fudgy!!
The marshmallows that are in this cookie recipe are not traditional fluffy marshmallows. Instead, they are Kraft Marshmallow Bits. They are a little drier like a marshmallow you would find in cereal or a hot cocoa mix.
The size and texture of these marshmallows work well in the hot cocoa cookies.
How to Make Hot Cocoa Cookies
This is a super easy cookie recipe so if your kids love to bake, this is a good one to have them help with!
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees and prepping a baking sheet with parchment paper or reusable silpat.
In a large mixing bowl stir together the entire box of chocolate cake mix, 2 eggs, ½ cup canola or vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Once that comes together fold in ½ cup marshmallow bits and ½ cup mini chocolate chips.
Kitchen Tip: To achieve the look of my cookies with the marshmallow bits on the top, save a few bits back and place them on the tops of the raw cookie dough balls after you drop them onto the baking sheet.
Drop the cookies dough by the spoonful onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake accordingly:
- Dark sheet pan: 9-10 mins.
- Light sheet pan: 10-11 mins.
If you are baking the cookies in batches, place the dough in the fridge while the first batch is baking.
Let the hot cocoa cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 mins then place on a cooling rack.
Store your Hot Cocoa Cookies at room temp in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Easy Hot Cocoa Cookie Recipe
Easy Hot Cocoa Cookie Recipe
- 15.25 oz Chocolate Cake Mix I use Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup marshmallow bits I use Kraft Marshmallow Bits
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or reusable silpat.
- Mix the cookie dough. In a mixing bowl stir together the 15.25 oz chocolate cake mix, 2 eggs, ½ cup oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Fold in the marshmallow bits & chocolate chips. Once the dough comes together mix in the ½ cup marshmallow bits and ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Drop the cookie dough onto the cookie sheet. Drop the hot cocoa cookie dough by the spoonful onto the parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-11 mins. Dark baking sheet- 9-10 mins. Light baking sheet 10-11 mins.If you are baking these cookies in batches, place the dough in the fridge while the first batch is baking.Kitchen Tip: To achieve the look of my cookies place a few marshmallow bits and mini chocolate chips on the top of the cookie dough after it is dropped on the cookie sheet.
- Let cool. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-4 minutes then place on a cooling rack.
- Store at room temp. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Easy Cookie Recipes
If you are looking for other easy cookie recipes then you are in the right place! I keep all baking at Mom’s Dinner SUPER EASY! Here are a few to check out: