Chocolate Star Cookies are delicious peanut butter cookies that are soft and chewy on the inside with a little crisp on the outside. They are topped with a milk chocolate star that gets melty and gooey in the oven.
You can dunk these peanut butter cookies in milk or eat them as is. They are a great sweet treat or dessert!
Do not go to the baking aisle trying to find the chocolate stars with the chocolate chips. You will find them over in the candy aisle of your grocery store. Somewhere near the chocolate covered peanuts and gummy worms!
How to Make Chocolate Star Cookies
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or with a hand mixer, cream 1 stick of softened butter, ½ cup creamy peanut butter, ½ cup white sugar, ½ cup brown sugar together until it is fluffy and combined.
Add in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and continue to mix for another 30 seconds.
In a separate bowl sift together 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour, ½ teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture, a little at a time, until it is completely combined. NOTE: make sure to not over mix the dough at this point or you will have tough little hockey puck cookies.
Place about ⅓ cup white sugar in a small bowl.
Roll the cookie dough into small balls, a little smaller than a golf ball (it will be a heaping tablespoon of dough). Roll the dough in the sugar and then place on a parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes. Pull the cookies out of the oven and lightly press a chocolate star into the center of each cookie. Place back in the oven for 2 ½ minutes.
Let the peanut butter chocolate star cookies cool and it’s time for a cookie treat!!
If you don’t eat all 24 cookies in one sitting, then you will need to store the cookies. You will need an airtight container with a lid. You can leave the cookies in the airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 5 days.
Storage tip: To help the cookies not dry out you can put a small, very lightly moistened paper towel in the corner of the container.
More Delicious Dessert Recipes
If you need to make desserts or sweet treats for a crowd, here are a couple more that other Mom’s Dinner readers love:
Recipe for Chocolate Star Cookies
Chocolate Star Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 24 milk chocolate stars can be found in the candy aisle at your grocery store.
- ⅓ cup white sugar for rolling the cookie dough
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or white a hand mixer, cream the butter, peanut butter, white sugar, and brown sugar, until they are fluffy and completely combined.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the flour mixture the the butter mixture a little at a time until it is fully combined. NOTE: do not over mix at this point, or you will have tough cookies!
- Roll the dough into balls a little smaller than the size of a golf ball, it will be 1 heaping tablespoon of dough per cookie. Roll the dough balls in the sugar.Place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and lightly press 1 star in the middle of each cookie. Place back in the oven for an additional 2 ½ minutes. (NOTE: You may have to bake the cookies in 2 or 3 batches.)
- Cool the cookies on a cooling rack and then serve!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.