Rolo Cookies are delicious and tender chocolate cookies stuffed with a Rolo candy. When they bake the Rolo melts in the middle of the cookie and creates a fudgy caramel center.
If you love Rolo candies, like I do, definitely check out this recipe for Rolo Pretzel Turtles.
You can find Rolos in the candy aisle at your grocery store. When I am making these cookies I find that buying the 10.6 oz bag of Rolos is the best bet. You will have a couple left over, but they make a great after lunch sweet treat!
Kitchen Tip: Unwrap about 36 Rolo candies before you start this recipe (it’s a great job for kids, if you don’t mind them eating a few). Having them unwrapped and ready to go will make quick work of this recipe.
Freeze Your Rolo Cookies
You can absolutely freeze your Rolo Cookie dough or the baked cookies!
Freeze Rolo Cookie Dough
Make the dough completely and roll into balls filled with the Rolo candies. Do not roll in the sugar, wait and do that before you bake the cookies. Freeze the dough balls in an airtight/ freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
When it is time to bake, make sure to bake from frozen! Roll the dough balls in white sugar and bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. They may need a minute longer since they were frozen.
Freeze Baked Rolo Cookies
You can also freeze the baked cookies. Let them cool completely at room temp. Then wrap them in an airtight/freezer safe container and keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months!
Bring to room temp and enjoy. Or warm for 30 seconds in the microwave for a warm cookie treat!
How to Make Rolo Cookies
These Rolo cookies are pretty easy to make. Simply make the dough, stuff each cookie with a Rolo, and bake! Let’s get started:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper or a reusable silpat. Also fill a small bowl with ¼ cup sugar to dip the cookies in.
Unwrap about 34 Rolo Candies and set aside.
Using a fine mesh sieve, sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda together. Set aside.
In a stand mixer (or a bowl and a handheld mixer) cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Mix until it it completely creamy and fluffy.
Add the vanilla and eggs to the butter mixture. Blend until everything is well combines, about 1 minute.
Add the flour mixture, a little at a time, to the cookie dough. The dough will be thick!
Using a tablespoon scoop out a generous tablespoon of dough. Place it in the palm of your hand and press one Rolo into the center. Then form the dough around the candy, covering it completely.
Roll the cookie in the sugar bowl to coat completely.
Your bake time will vary per your cookie sheet:
- Dark colored cookie sheet – approx 10 minutes.
- Light colored cookie sheet – approx 11-12 minutes.
Storing Your Rolo Cookies
Keep your Chocolate Rolo Cookies in an airtight container, at room temp, for up to 5 days. They will be softest in the first couple days.
If you are always looking for easy & delicious cookie recipes, here are a few to check out on Mom’s Dinner:
Rolo Cookie Recipe
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Rolo candies The 10.6 oz bag is the best buy for these cookies
- ¼ sugar for rolling the cookies
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line one or two cookie sheets with parchment paper or reusable silpats. Also pour ¼ cup sugar in a small bowl – set aside.Unwrap about 30 Rolo candies.
- In a large bowl sift together the 2 ¼ cup flour, ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or a bowl with a hand mixer) cream together the 1 cup softened butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup white sugar, until it is creamy and fluffy.
- Add the 2 teaspoon vanilla and 2 eggs to the butter mixture, mix together until it is well combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, in batches. Only beat until it is combined.
- Using a tablespoon scoop out a generous tablespoon of cookie dough and place it in the palm of your hand. Press one Rolo into the center of the dough. Form the dough around the Rolo, covering it completely. Roll it in the sugar, covering all sides. Place on the cookie sheet.
- Bake the cookies 9-12 minutes. Time will depend on your cookie sheet:Dark colored cookie sheets – 9-10 minutesLight colored cookie sheets – 11-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for a few minutes and then enjoy!
- Baked Cookies – cool completely and then place in an airtight & freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Cookie Dough – Prepare the cookies completely but do not roll in the sugar. Place in an airtight & freezer safe container and keep frozen for up to 3 months. When you are ready to bake them, bake from frozen- roll in sugar and bake for 11-12 minutes. May need a minute or two longer since they were frozen.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.