Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are literally cookies made with cake mix from a box! How great is that! If you are not a baker or you need a cookie recipe shortcut, then this is the recipe for you. The cookies come out fudgey, chocolatey and delicious without a lot of effort.
You only 4 ingredients to make these amazing cake mix cookies!
Cake Mix for Cookies
How great is cake mix! It comes pre-mixed with almost everything you need for cookies: sugar, flavoring, leavener, and flour all mixed in one little package. All you need to do is add the fat and binder.
If you just add ½ cup vegetable or canola oil (fat) and 2 eggs (binder) you get the PERFECT cookie batter. I like to add mini M&M’s in this chocolate cake mix cookie recipe for texture and extra chocolate.
For this recipe I used a 15.25 oz Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge cake mix but you should be able to use any brand of chocolate cake mix you would like (or have).
Cake Mix Cookies
If you are not in the mood for chocolate you can make cake mix cookies in any flavor that sounds good: lemon, red velvet, strawberry…. Just follow the recipe card below. Then mix in whatever compliments your cookie flavor: peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, pecans….
How to Make Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
Start be preheating your oven to 350 degrees. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable silpat.
In a large mixing bowl stir together the entire chocolate cake mix, 2 eggs, ½ cup canola or vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
As soon as the batter comes together fold in ⅔ cup of mini M&M baking chips (you could also use mini chocolate chips).
Kitchen tip: to get the look of my cookies save a few M&M’s to the side and press them into the top of the batter after you place them on the baking sheet.
Using a spoon or a small scoop, like the one pictured below, drop the cookie batter onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
Kitchen tip: If you are baking the cookies in batches you will want to place the unused dough in the fridge while the first batch bakes.
Bake for 9-11 minutes. Here are time guides depending on your baking sheet:
- Dark baking sheet: 9-10 minutes
- Light baking sheet: 10-11 minutes
Let the cake mix cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes then move to a cooling rack.
Store the cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookie Recipe
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies
- 15.25 oz box of chocolate cake mix I use Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil vegetable or canola
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup mini M&M baking bits or mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable silpat.
- In a bowl stir together the chocolate cake mix, 2 eggs, ½ cup oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Fold in ⅔ cup mini M&M baking bits.Kitchen tip: if you want to achieve the look of my cookies, press a few M&M's on the outside of the cookie batter after you place it on the baking sheet.
- Drop the cookie batter by the spoonful onto the prepared baking sheet.If you are baking in batches place the unused dough in the fridge while the first batch bakes.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.light baking sheet: 10-11 mins.dark baking sheet: 9-10 mins.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Store the chocolate cake mix cookies at room temp. in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
If you are in the mood to bake or just are always on the lookout for great cookie that are easy to make, here are some to check out: