An Apple Cider Margarita is a great twist on a traditional margarita and is perfect for the colder months (Hellooooo Fall!!). This tequila cocktail is sweet with warm flavors of cinnamon and apples. Yet when it is served cold it is cool and refreshing.
Some other really great fall time tequila drinks are my Tequila Sour or Tequila Sidecar. But, if you are looking for a more summertime tequila drinks, I love these Tequila Soda Cocktails and this Blackberry Tequila Smash. But you can also decide what sounds good by looking through all my tequila drink recipes!
Apple Cider is the main mixer in this cocktail. Which is fresh pressed apple juice that is usually mixed with seasonings and spices. Generally it has more of an opaque look than apple juice.
The cider that you do NOT want to use is hard cider, as in alcoholic fizzy beverage.
If you have a local apple orchard they usually have some really great apple cider during harvest season (fall). Here in Kansas City we have Louisburg Cider Mill. Which luckily it is also sold in our local grocery stores.
But I have also used Apple Cider from Trader Joe’s and it was delicious!
For this margarita recipe I recommend you use a darker tequila. The recipe calls for a reposado or anejo style tequila. Which, if you buy Anejo you can also drink it on the rocks and it is amazing!
Reposado is a mix of a silver/blanco or young tequila and aged tequila. This gives it a great mix of flavors which is pretty mello. The Anejo tequila, however, is a completely aged tequila which gives it the most delicious caramel/ vanilla flavor!
Apple Cider Margarita Recipe
Apple Cider Margarita
- 1 oz reposado or anejo tequila
- ½ oz triple sec
- 3 oz spiced apple cider
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch or two of kosher salt
- orange slice
- cinnamon sticks, apple slices OPTIONAL
Rim the Glass
- On a flat plate mix together 1 teaspoon sugar, ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, and a pinch or two of kosher salt.
- Run an orange slice around the rim of the glass, then dip the rim in the cinnamon sugar mix.
How to Make Apple Cider Margaritas
- Fill the rimmed glass with ice. Pour in 1 ounce reposado tequila, ½ ounce triple sec, and 3 ounces of apple cider. Give it a stir and enjoy!
- Add optional garnish – apple slice, orange slice, cinnamon stick or star anise.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.