A Tequila Sour is a delicious cocktail that is made with reposado or anejo tequila, fresh citrus fruit juice, and an egg white. It is served straight up in a stemmed glass, traditionally a coupe glass, with an orange peel garnish.
The darker anejo or reposado tequila gives this drink it’s depth of flavor and pairs perfectly with the orange and lemon. The citrus brightens the palate and the egg white mellows and give texture. It is a perfectly balanced cocktail, perfect for tequila lovers!
If you are looking for more amazing tequila drinks, check out the Mom’s Dinner Tequila Category!
Tequila Sour Ingredients
You just need a few easy ingredients for your Tequila Sour:
- Anejo or Reposado Tequila
- Fresh Orange Juice
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Egg White
- Agave Syrup
You will also need:
- Cocktail shaker
- Jigger or shot measure
- Stemmed cocktail glass
Egg White in Your Cocktail
Don’t be nervous about putting in egg white in your cocktail! As long as you are using fresh or non-expired eggs you should be fine**. No need to buy special or organic eggs. I usually use what is in my fridge and have been ok every time.
Adding an egg white adds texture to your cocktail as well as mellowing out the harsh citrus flavors. Not to mention it adds the most amazing froth/foam on top of your tequila sour.
**However, there is always a risk when eating raw eggs, just like eating undercooked meat. But I bet you aren’t eating all your steaks well done either!
A Dry Shake
To maximize the froth/foam on top of your cocktail you are going to do something called a “dry shake” before you add the ice.
You simply add all the cocktail ingredients to your shaker, pop the lid on and shake without ice. Then add the ice, shake again, and strain into your cocktail glass.
You should end up with the most amazing froth on top of your drink!
Tequila Sour Recipe
- coupe glass or martini glass
- 1.5 oz tequila reposado or anejo
- .5 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz orange juice save some of the peel for garnish
- 1 fresh egg white
- .25 oz agave syrup can omit for less sweetness
- In a cocktail shaker add 1 egg white, 1.5 oz tequila, 1 oz fresh orange juice, .5 oz lemon juice, and .25 oz agave syrup. DON'T ADD THE ICE YET.
- Pop the lid on and do a dry shake without ice, about 20 seconds.
- Add a scoop of ice and shake again for about 20 seconds.
- Strain into a stemmed cocktail glass, like a coupe glass or martini glass
- Garnish with orange peel.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.