Super similar to this Tequila Soda, but this time we are making it with Añejo Tequila! It has just a little more depth of flavor but is still a completely refreshing tequila cocktail. A squeeze of a fresh orange wedge compliments the flavors of Añejo perfectly. Cheers!
There are three main types of Tequila:
Silver/Blanco – this is clear tequila that hasn’t been aged at all. It has a nice crisp salty/limey flavor. Margarita on the Rocks is a great cocktail for Silver Tequila.
Reposado – this is a blend of aged and unaged tequila. It is a great mild tequila that has just a little more flavor than silver, but not as much as Añejo. Roasted Strawberry Margarita is a perfect cocktail for Reposado.
Añejo – this tequila is darker in color, having an amber hue, like a whiskey. It is an aged tequila and has beautiful flavors of vanilla and caramel. Añejo Old Fashioned is an excellent cocktail!
I think that is true to a point…. if you are buying a $100+ bottle of Añejo you better damn well only be drinking it on the rocks or straight up.
But if you have a nice $25 bottle of Jose Cuervo Añejo by ALL MEANS get to mixing!!
How To Make an Añejo Soda
Start by filling a rocks size glass (8-10 oz.) with ice or use one large ice cube.
Pour in 1-1.5 oz Añejo Tequila.
Top with 3 oz. soda water.
Finish with an orange wedge or wheel.
Give it a light stir and enjoy.
- For a really great cocktail you have two options when it comes to ice- fill your glass to the RIM with crushed ice, or you one giant clear ice cube! (in the summer I want a glass filled with ice, in winter I like one large cube. Weird, I know)
- Since you are mixing the Añejo with soda aim for a mid priced Añejo tequila, around $25. We like Jose Cuervo or Espolon.
- Orange is the perfect citrus to pair with this cocktail.
- Use a plain sparkling water to mix in your cocktail.
More Añejo Cocktails
- 1 oz Anejo Tequila (up to 1.5 oz for a stronger cocktail)
- 3 oz sparkling water (seltzer water or club soda will work too)
- fresh orange slice
- Fill a rocks glass (about 8-10 oz in size) with crushed ice or with one large ice cube.
- Pour in the Anejo Tequila, then top with 3 oz sparkling water.
- Squeeze in an orange slice.
- Give it a stir and enjoy your cocktail!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.