This RumChata Hot Chocolate is super rich and creamy. The recipe starts with a Homemade Hot Chocolate and has just enough RumChata to make it a boozy hot chocolate. It makes an amazing after dinner dessert drink, or adult hot chocolate on a snowy day!
What is RumChata
RumChata is a creamy liqueur of Caribbean rum that is flavored with cinnamon and vanilla. It is made to mimic the flavors of Horchata, a traditional Mexican, Central America and Spanish drink.
If you love RumChata you will go crazy for this adult hot chocolate, of course, but also this RumChata Espresso Martini.
A few tips for when you make your RumChata Hot Chocolate:
RumChata – You will find this at your local liquor store. Make sure you add it after the hot chocolate is removed from the heat. You don’t want to simmer out the alcohol.
Chocolate Chips – semi-sweet chocolate chips are sweet enough to give your drink a rich chocolatey flavor. You can also try dark chocolate. However I think milk chocolate chips may be too sweet here.
Cocoa Powder – Make sure to buy 100% cocoa, unsweetened cocoa powder. You will find it in the baking aisle.
Powdered Milk– Find this in the baking aisle. It will be in a box or canister.
Milk – Whole or 2% will work perfectly in this cocktail.
Step by Step Instructions
Warm the milk over medium-low heat on the stove top.
Now in a bowl whisk together the dry powdered milk, cocoa powder and powder sugar.
Whisk the dry ingredients into the warm milk, until it is completely mixed in. This is our very favorite whisk!
Add the chocolate chips and stir until they are melted in.
Remove from the heat and pour in the RumChata.
This will make 2 or 3 drinks, depending how big your mugs are.
Make a little RumChata Whipped Cream by beating 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream, 2 oz Rumchata, pinch of cinnamon and 2 tablespoon powdered sugar until it forms medium stiff peaks.
Andes Peppermint Chips are the most amazing thing available at the Holidays, add marshmallows and a sprinkle of Peppermint Chips. (then you can make this amazing Christmas Trifle with the rest of the peppermint chips)
And of course the traditional mini marshmallows, whipped cream, shake of cocoa powder, a cinnamon stick or candy cane stirrer.
Variations on RumChata Hot Chocolate
If you want to mix things up, here are some fun variations on this RumChata Hot Chocolate Recipe:
- Add a ½ teaspoon peppermint extract for a new flavor.
- Try using Peppermint RumChata, perfect for the Holidays.
- Stir the hot chocolate mixture before adding it to the warm milk to make sure there are no lumps.
- Whisk the dry hot cocoa ingredients really well into the milk to make sure it is smooth. This is one of my most used and favorite whisks I own!!!
- To avoid boiling out the alcohol, make sure you add the RumChata after you remove the hot chocolate from the heat.
Favorite Winter Cocktails
Rich & Creamy RumChata Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Start with a sauce pan over medium low heat on the stove top. Add the milk and let it warm through.3 cups whole milk
- In a bowl whisk together the powdered milk, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.¼ cup powdered milk, ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Whisk the dry ingredients into the warm milk, making sure there are no lumps.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until they are melted.1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Remove the hot chocolate from the heat and stir in the RumChata. Pro Tip: add the RumChata off the heat so the alcohol doesn't simmer out!¼ cup RumChata
- Serve in mugs. Will make 2-3 drinks depending on your mug size.
- Top with your favorite hot cocoa toppings: whipped cream, marshmallows, dusting of cocoa powder or cinnamon, maybe a candy cane stir stick!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.