A Tequila Hot Toddy is an Añejo based drink that is served warm. It has added notes of lemon, orange, cinnamon and clove. It is great if you are a little under the weather or it is freezing outside. The Hot Toddy will warm your bones and have you feeling really good in no time!
And if you have kids that want a nice hot drink too, pop over to this recipe for The Best Homemade Hot Chocolate!
What is a Hot Toddy?
If you have never heard of a hot toddy it is hot water, infused with liquor, and flavored with citrus, honey, herbs, and spices. It is traditionally consumed when you are under the weather with a cold or flu or the weather outside is frightful (COLD), or as a night cap before bed.
Traditionally a hot toddy is made with whiskey, rum or even brandy, but here we are updating the flavor profile with Añejo Tequila!
To have a perfectly balanced Tequila Hot Toddy recipe you need to have sweet, tart, and warm flavors
Añejo Tequila – We find that Añejo is the best tequila for a hot toddy. It has beautiful warm flavors of vanilla and caramel.
Fresh Lemon Juice – this is the tart flavor that this cocktail needs. You can also use orange if you prefer!
Cinnamon Stick and Whole Clove – A cinnamon stick and whole clove works a little different that ground spices. It will infuse your hot toddy without making your cocktail muddy or gritty. You can find these in the spice aisle at your local grocery store.
Cointreau – Is a triple sec orange liqueur. It not only adds a sweetness, it adds a hint of orange flavor, which pairs beautifully with the clove and honey!
Tips to Make your Toddy Perfect!
Follow these extra tips to make your Tequila Hot Toddy extra tasty:
- Use fresh squeezed lemon juice, the bottled stuff is not what you want here.
- Find an Añejo tequila that you like – we have tried and liked Casamigos and Jose Cuervo.
- Use whole spices, not ground – cinnamon sticks and clove, and if you have it star anise and all spice could be good too!
- Adjust the flavor profile with more honey or lemon to suit your taste buds.
Other Tequila Cocktails to Try
Añejo Tequila Hot Toddy Recipe
- heat safe drinking glass
- 4 oz hot/warm water
- 2 oz Añejo Tequila
- 1.5 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice (can use fresh squeezed orange juice instead)
- 1 oz honey
- .5 oz Cointreau
- cinnamon stick & whole cloves
- lemon wedge or wheel (or orange)
- In a heat safe glass pour 4 oz. hot water. Measure in the tequila, lemon juice, Cointreau, and honey.
- Give it a really good stir to melt the honey into the drink.
- Add a cinnamon stick, a couple whole cloves, and a lemon wedge. Let it steep for a few minutes and then enjoy!
- Take a sip to taste, adjust as you like:more lemon for tartnessmore honey for sweetnesscould also add whole star anise and/or whole all spice for more complex flavors
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.