Homemade Peppermint Hot Chocolate is a delicious treat perfect for a cold winter day, a snow day or the Holidays. It is a rich and creamy homemade hot chocolate with peppermint extract added. Chocolate and peppermint could not be a more classic winter flavor pairing.
Top it off with some whipped cream or a candy cane on the side. The whole family is going to love it.
…and if you have a lot of snow outside, have the kids make this snow ice cream!!!
This Recipe Is…
- a super rich and creamy peppermint hot chocolate.
- perfectly balanced with flavors of chocolate, cream and peppermint.
- easy to put together with ingredients you probably already have on hand!
You will find most of the ingredients you need in your baking cabinet, plus some milk from the fridge.
- Whole Milk – this results in the creamiest hot chocolate without being too thick. If you prefer a non dairy milk I would stick to oat milk or cashew milk since they tend to be creamier. A lower fat milk will work too, it just won’t be a creamy.
- Powdered Milk – powdered milk mixed with the whole milk makes for an extra creamy and rich hot chocolate! You can find powdered milk in the baking aisle at your grocery store.
- Peppermint Extract – can be a very assertive flavor so you will want to make sure that you only use ½ tsp, then taste and see if you want more. I have not tested this recipe with an edible peppermint oil.
- Cocoa Powder – you want to make sure you use an UNSWEETENED Cocoa Powder. You just want the chocolate flavor, not the extra sugar.
- Chocolate Chips – we recommend using a semi sweet chocolate chip, it is sweet enough when combined with the powdered sugar. If you like a more bitter chocolate, try using a dark chocolate chip.
Step by Step Picture Instructions
It is pretty easy to make homemade peppermint cocoa, follow these steps:
Place a small saucepan over medium low heat, warm the 3 cups of whole milk.
While that warms through, in a medium sized bowl whisk together the powdered milk, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar.
Slowly sprinkle the cocoa mixture into the warm milk, whisk until it is fully combined.
Stir in the ½ teaspoon peppermint extract.
Pour in the semi sweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips) and stir until they are fully melted.
Remove from the heat give it a taste for more peppermint.
Serve in mugs or heat proof glasses.
Peppermint Hot Chocolate is only made better with all the toppings. Here are some great options:
- Whipped Cream
- Candy Canes
- Chocolate Syrup
- Marshmallow bits
- Andes Peppermint Crunch Bits
Adult Hot Chocolate
If some of the adults want a boozy version of peppermint hot cocoa add any of these liquors for a delicious twist:
- Peppermint Schnapps
- Peppermint Rumchata
- Whipped Cream Vodka
- Marshmallow Vodka
- Chocolate Liqueur
If some adults want a warming cocktail that is not chocolate, or is dairy free, check out this Tequila Hot Toddy. It tastes like warm apple cider!
More Peppermint Recipes!
Homemade Peppermint Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup powdered milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan over medium low heat, warm the 3 cups milk.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the powdered milk, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar. Make sure all clumps are stirred out.
- Slowly whisk the cocoa powder mixture into the warm milk until it is smooth and fully combined.
- Stir in the ½ teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Pour the chocolate chips in and stir until they are fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and serve!
- Top with all your favorite peppermint hot chocolate toppings: mini marshmallows, whipped cream, crushed candy canes, Andes Peppermint Crunch bits, mini candy canes…
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.