A Christmas Trifle is a delicious dessert perfect for the Holiday Season! It has layers of chocolate brownies, fudge, peppermint cream cheese and Andes Peppermint Crunch Candies. Unlike this Thanksgiving Trifle, which is made in one large bowl, this dessert is made into individual trifle glasses. It is an incredibly easy trifle recipe and makes a super impressive Christmas dessert.
Some other great Christmas Desserts to check out are: Hot Fudge Pudding Cake, Homemade Butterscotch Pudding, or Apple Crostata with Caramel Sauce.
What is a Trifle
A trifle is a traditional English layered dessert. It generally has multiple cake layers, pudding or custard layers and fruit layers.
You can see a great example of a one bowl trifle with this Thanksgiving Pumpkin Trifle.
This Trifle recipe for Christmas is a little different. Here we are subbing some of the traditional layers for more festive flavors: brownies, fudge, peppermint whipped cream and peppermint crunch.
This is a rich and indulgent dessert, perfect for the season!!
Here are the ingredients that you need to make your Peppermint Christmas Trifle, plus some tips on a few ingredients:
Brownies: use the brownies that you like…fudgy, dark chocolate, triple chocolate, etc… Also, if you want to use store bought prepared brownies, go for it!!
Cream Cheese: purchase full fat cream cheese, and make sure that it is completely softened so your whipped cream is smooth.
Heavy Cream: make sure your cream is nice and cold, it helps your whipping cream come together faster and creamier!
Fudge: use a store bought fudge, we really like Mrs. Richardson’s.
Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips: If you have decided to make this dessert, then run out and buy this asap. It sells out quickly at the holidays. It is basically peppermint white chocolate pieces that have just a sparkle of crunchy candy cane bits. You will find this either in the baking aisle or by the Holiday candy.
If you cannot find the Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips you can sub some of these options:
- Wilton candy melts- candy cane flavor
- white chocolate and candy canes chopped/crushed together
- chopped up Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins
Individual Trifle Cups
Unlike a traditional Trifle Dish, this dessert is made in individual cups. Since it is such a rich dessert you can make them in a 6-8 oz. cup or if you really love dessert make them in larger 9-11 oz. cup (but I don’t recommend filling it all the way).
The glasses pictured are 11 oz. cups that I did not fill all the way. I got them at World Market, they are the Small Bodega Glass.
Step by Step Picture Instructions
If you are not buying premade brownies, start by making your brownies in a 9×9 or 8×8 cake pan. Then cool completely.
Cut the brownies into ½ inch pieces and set aside.
Now it’s time to make the peppermint whipped cream!
Start by adding a ¼ cup of the cold heavy cream and the 4 oz. softened cream cheese to a mixing bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk together for at least one minute until it is completely smooth.
Add in the peppermint extract and powdered sugar and whisk until combined, then gradually pour in the remaining heavy cream and whisk until it forms soft peaks. It will be the consistency of thick pudding.
Warm the fudge in the microwave until it is drizzling consistency.
That’s it…it’s time to layer your trifles! In each glass layer:
- 3-4 pieces of brownie
- 1-2 tablespoon fudge sauce
- cover with a layer of peppermint whipped cream
- now a generous layer of the Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- Repeat all the steps one more time.
Pop the individual trifles in the fridge for 12-24 hours.
Serve them cold, right out of the fridge.
Watch Us Make This Chocolate Trifle Recipe!
You can watch me make this Chocolate Trifle on a 30 minute Episode of Pinterest TV! This is a great way to learn how to make this dessert if you are a visual learner.
More Delicious Desserts to Try
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Christmas Trifle Recipe
- Dessert Glass (see notes)
- prepared brownies, cooled completely – 8×8 or 9×9 pan
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream (cold), divided
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup (heaping) powdered sugar
- 15.5 oz. jar hot fudge sauce (Mrs. Richardson's is a great brand)
- 10 oz. Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips (see notes if you cannot find this product)
- Either purchase already prepared brownies or prepare and bake your favorite brownie mix, any flavor will work. Cool them completely and then cut into ½ inch pieces. Set aside.prepared brownies, cooled completely
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment (or a large bowl and a hand held mixer), whisk ¼ cup cold heavy cream and the 4 oz. softened cream cheese until it is completely smooth. Pro Tip: This will take at least 1 minute, don't skimp on this step, you want your whipped cream to be smooth!4 oz cream cheese
- Now add the peppermint extract and powdered sugar, whisk until combined.1 teaspoon peppermint extract, ½ cup (heaping) powdered sugar
- Slowly stream in the remaining cold heavy cream. Whisk until very soft peaks form, which will look like very thick pudding and it will barely hold a peak when you pull the whisk out.Pro Tip: drizzle the cream down the side of the bowl so it doesn't catch the whisk and spray out of the bowl!1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Warm the fudge in the microwave until it is a pourable consistency, if it is too hot let it cool for a minute before assembling your trifles, you don't want it to melt the whipped cream. Pro Tip: If your fudge is in a glass jar you can pop it right in the microwave! It will warm from the bottom up, so warm in 30 second increments and stir after each time.15.5 oz. jar hot fudge sauce
- Time to layer your Chocolate Trifles!
- In each glass add:3-4 pieces of brownie1-2 tablespoon fudge saucecover with a layer of peppermint whipped creamnow a generous layer of the Andes Peppermint Crunch ChipsRepeat all the steps one more time.10 oz. Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips
- Pop the glasses in the fridge, covered, for 12-24 hours.
- Serve cold! Goes great with a cup of hot coffee!
- Wilton candy melts- candy cane flavor, chopped into pieces
- white chocolate chips and candy canes chopped/crushed together
- chopped up Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Could you make this 48 hours in advance?
Sure! Just pull it out of the fridge about an hour before serving.
Oh Susie this looks divine! I love to make trifles, they look so pretty too! I have to try yours! I’d love to invite you to come link up some of your recipes at my weekly link party that goes ever Wednesday-Sunday https://www.ourtinynest.com/2022/12/07/weekly-wednesday-link-party-325/
Have a great weekend!