This Twice Baked Potato Casserole is about as good as it gets. It is the ultimate side dish, made with mashed potatoes that are loaded with cheese, sour cream, cream cheese and garlic and then topped with more cheese and bacon. How good does that sound?!
If you are looking for potato side dish recipes, check out these as well:
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
This is definitely not diet food, as you can tell by the ingredient list! This is feel-good, comfort food! Here is what you need to make this crazy amazing side dish:
- Russet Potatoes (mashed potatoes
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- half & half
- green onions
- salt and pepper
Making the Recipe
After the mashed potatoes are made, this is a REALLY EASY dish to make. Basically everything gets mixed together (except ½ cup cheese, ¼ cup green onions and the bacon) with a hand held mixer and then baked for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Top with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
TIP: Cook the bacon on a sheet pan in the oven while the casserole bakes!
Garnish with green onions and bacon and serve!
This recipe calls for mashed potatoes. You can either make them on the stove top by boiling potatoes cut into 3 inch chunks for 25 minutes. Or you can cook them in the Instant Pot cutting them in 2- inch chunks, adding ½ cup water and cooking on manual high pressure for 11 minutes with a quick release.
Completely mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a hand held mixer, then move on to the recipe below.
You can absolutely make this potato casserole ahead and have it ready to pop in the oven when you need it!
Simply make the casserole up to the point you would put it in the oven, instead cover it with foil pop it in the fridge for a day or two.
When you are ready to bake it, uncover and pop in the oven. Add about 5-10 minutes to the cooking time since it is going in cold.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 3-4 lbs mashed potatoes ** russet potatoes
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 cups sour cream
- ¾ cup green onions, chopped divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ lb cooked bacon, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- In a large bowl add the mashed potatoes, 4 oz cream cheese, 2 cups cheese, ½ cup butter, ½ cup half & half, 2 cups sour cream, ½ cup green onions, chopped garlic cloves, 2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper. Mix with a hand mixed until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish, smooth it out with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Pop in the oven, uncovered, and bake for 20 minutes.TIP: If you need to cook your bacon, pop it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and bake in the oven while the casserole bakes. Flip the bacon half way through.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining ¼ cup green onions and ½ lb bacon and serve!!
Mashed Potatoes **
- If you need to make the mashed potatoes here are two options: Instant Pot – peel and cut your potatoes into 2-3 inch chunks. Place them in the pot with ½ cup water. Pop the lid on and cook for 11 minutes on high pressure mode. Do a quick release and then mash! Stove Top – peel and cut your potatoes into 2-3 inch chunks. Place them in a large pot of cool water over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook until they are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the water and mash.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.