This post contains affiliate links.
If you are looking for one of the best Instant Pot soup recipes, then keep reading (or jump to the recipe). This Instant Pot Potato Soup is made in a flash in your pressure cooker (you will only be setting your IP for 4 minutes) and it is full of flavor. It has a thick and creamy broth combined with tender chunks of potatoes.
This potato soup recipe is made without using cream cheese. Instead, I thicken it with a combo of Greek yogurt and instant potato flakes. You could also sub sour cream for the Greek yogurt. I just like using the yogurt to make this potato soup a little healthier.
Making a Creamy Recipe in the Instant Pot
Creamy recipes are kind of a no-no when it comes to your Instant Pot. The heating element and the pressure can creates a burn environment for anything creamy or cheesy.
However, in this recipe the main items that “cook” in the pressure cooker are just onions, potatoes, seasonings and broth. All the delicious creamy ingredients are added after the potatoes are cooked.
The Instant Pot I Recommend
I use the Instant Pot Duo 60 6 quart 9-in-1, I like this pot because it is big enough to make larger recipes, yet small enough to store. However, I don’t know that I will ever use all 9 functions, but they are there if I need them. I also recommend the Instant Pot Duo 6 quart 7-in-1.
Secret Ingredient for Super Flavorful Soup
Okay, so it’s not really super-secret, you can get it at any grocery store, but it is a game changer in the kitchen! Chicken Base (or Beef Base) is like a flavor packed punch that you can add to your recipes! Regular bouillon cubes do not hold a candle to this stuff.
You can find it in the soup aisle at any grocery store, it will be near the bouillon. It comes in a jar or tub and has a paste consistency. I use both L.B. Jamison’s or Better Than Bouillon brands.
What Potato Flakes to Use to Thicken Your Potato Soup
Do not turn your nose up at Instant Potatoes! They definitely have a purpose and place in the kitchen. I 100% would not use them to make mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving. But, they make an amazing thickener for potato soup!
I do find there is a quality difference in Potato Flakes, so if you can, buy a better brand, like Idahoan.
I like to buy the original or butter flavor potato flakes. You can experiment with fun flavors like garlic or applewood smoked bacon, but I have not tried those so I cannot give any advice on using them.
How to Make Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
This is a super easy Creamy Potato Soup recipe. It will be ready in a flash. Let’s get started:
Peel your russet potatoes and cut them into large chunks (about 1 ½ – 2 inch). Chop the onion into a small dice, and mince the garlic.
With your Instant Pot on saute mode, soften the onions and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the spices, seasonings, chicken base, and broth. Now turn off the saute mode.
Time to add the cubed potatoes. Give it a little stir.
Pop the lid on, and lock the pressure vent to the seal position. Set the pot to manual mode (pressure cooker), on high, for 4 minutes. I know, 4 minutes! It’s crazy!
***Pause- I love my Instant Pot- Unpause***
Do a quick release of pressure. Remove the bay leaf so nobody has to crunch thru it (I’ve also heard they are poison if you actually eat the leaf, that can’t be true, can it???).
Using the back of a spoon lightly break up some of the larger pieces of potato to give the soup good texture. Now, slowly stir in the potato flakes. Then stir in the half & half and the Greek yogurt.
Let the Potato Soup rest for about 5 minutes before serving. This will give the potato flakes time to absorb the liquid and thicken slightly.
Taste for additional seasoning and serve!
What Toppings To Serve with Your Potato Soup
This Creamy Potato Soup is amazing on it’s own, but I know everyone LOVES to load their potato soup with extra flavors and toppings. Here are a few ideas on what toppings to serve with your potato soup:
- green onions
- crispy bacon
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- Greek yogurt
- seasoned oyster crackers
- Tabasco or hot sauce
I hope you give this recipe for Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup a try in your kitchen.
Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Creamy Potato Soup
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 plump garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon each- garlic powder & onion powder
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt (I use Lawry’s)
- black pepper to taste
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups russet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 ½ inch dice) 2-3 russet potatoes
- ¾ cup Instant Potato Flakes I use Idahoan original or butter flavor
- 1 cup half & half
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- sour cream, Greek yogurt, green onions, shredded cheese, Tabasco, bacon, seasoned crackers
- Set your Instant Pot to saute mode and soften the onions and garlic in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, season salt, pepper, bay leaf, chicken base, and chicken broth, and potatoes. Give it a stir.Turn off saute mode.
- Put the lid on and lock the top pressure vent to seal. Set the pot to manual/pressure mode, on high, for 4 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure.With the back of a wooden spoon smash some of the larger potato chunks against the side of the pot, giving the soup great texture.Slowly stir in the potato flakes.Mix in the half & half and Greek yogurt.
- Let the soup sit for about 5 minutes before serving. This will give the potato flakes a chance to absorb the liquid fully.Serve with optional toppings.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.