Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos make an amazing family friendly dinner. They are easy to make any night of the week and come together quickly. Even your picky eaters will devour these Chicken Tacos.
Don’t forget to serve up your tacos with some margaritas, chips and salsa, guacamole, Instant Pot Mexican Rice and these simple refried beans!
Next time try these ground beef tacos or creamy chicken tacos, both are delicious!
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos in the Instant Pot
You will start this recipe by laying a flavor base in your Instant Pot:
- 4 peeled and crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (apple cider or white)
- ½ cup of water or chicken broth
Cut each chicken breasts into 4 large chunks and set on a cutting board or rimmed baking sheet. Cutting your chicken gives it more surface area for more delicious flavor!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Mix the taco seasoning in a small bowl:
- 2 t Chili Powder
- 1 t Dried Oregano
- ½ t each: Onion Powder & Garlic Powder
- 1 ¼ t Kosher Salt
- ¼ t smoked paprika
Sprinkle all the seasoning over your cut chicken breasts, on all sides, pressing it in to make sure it sticks. As you pick up the chicken to place it in the Instant Pot mop up any extra seasoning with the chicken pieces. Don’t miss out on that flavor!
Pour ¾ cup of your favorite jarred salsa over the chicken, trying to keep most of it on top of the chicken.
Cooking Chicken in the Instant Pot
Pop the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to “seal”. Set the pot to cook on high pressure mode for 7 minutes.
At the end do a natural release for 7 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
Shredding Chicken for Tacos
Using tongs or a fork, pull the hot chicken out of the Instant Pot (note: do not discard the liquid in the bottom of the pot). There are a few ways to shred the chicken.
- Using a mixer
- By hand
- With 2 forks
Shredding Chicken with a Hand Mixer
Using a mixer to shred chicken is by far the fastest and easiest method you will come across! It literally takes seconds.
Place the warm chicken in a large mixing bowl with ½ cup of the juice from the Instant Pot. You can also add the garlic pieces in for extra flavor. Turn the hand mixer on low and shred the chicken until it is the consistency you are looking for.
If you use a stand mixer, use the same method but use your paddle attachment.
To finish off the shredded chicken taco meat squeeze a little fresh lime juice over top. Stir that in, give it a taste for additional seasoning (salt, pepper, or heat- cayenne or red pepper flakes) and it’s time to eat!
Toppings for Shredded Chicken Tacos
You can eat this shredded chicken in soft or hard shells and top them with all your favorite taco toppings, here are some favorites:
- red onions or green onions
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sour cream
This recipe can be made to completion and then frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw simply put in a skillet, over medium low heat, with a little water and pop the lid on until it thaws completely.
Other Ways to Use This Shredded Chicken
Of course chicken tacos are always a good idea, but if you want to use this deliciously seasoned shredded chicken in a different way here are a few ideas:
- Chicken Nachos
- My Favorite Chicken Enchiladas
- Add Chicken to these Veggie Enchiladas
- White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Enchilada Skillet
More Mexican Dinner Recipes
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- ½ cup water
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon vinegar apple cider or white vinegar
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5-2.5 pounds) cut each breast into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon each: onion powder & garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ cup jarred salsa
- 1 fresh lime
- Add the ½ water, 4 crushed garlic cloves, and 1 teaspoon vinegar to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl mix the chili powder, oregano, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and smoked paprika together.
- Sprinkle ALL the seasoning over your cut chicken breasts, on all sides, pressing it in to make sure it sticks.
- Place the seasoned chicken pieces in the Instant Pot. Pro Tip: As you pick up the chicken mop up any extra seasoning with the chicken pieces. Don't miss out on that flavor!
- Pour ¾ cup of jarred salsa over the chicken, trying to keep it on top of the chicken and not in the bottom of the pot.
- Pop the lid on the pot and lock the pressure valve to "seal". Set it to cook on manual/pressure mode, on high, for 7 minutes.Do a 7 minute natural release, then finish the rest of the pressure with a quick release.
- You can shred the chicken with two forks or by hand. The easiest way is using a mixer, see instructions below:
- MIXER: Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and add ½ cup of liquid from the bottom of the Instant Pot. (optional: add the garlic cloves too). Squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the chicken. Shred the chicken using a hand mixer (or stand mixer with a paddle attachment). You will want to do this while the chicken is still hot/warm. It will only take about 20-30 seconds. There may be some larger pieces left that you can shred with clean hands.
- Taste for additional seasonings – salt, pepper, lime, cayenne or red pepper flakes for heat.
- Serve in hard or soft taco shells with your favorite taco toppings!
- This shredded chicken taco meat freezes perfectly!
- Let it cool completely and then place in a freezer safe container.
- Keep frozen for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight and then warm to serve.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Always looking for more IP recipes – this was a winner!!
I know what we’re having for Taco Tuesday!
Perfect taco Tuesday recipe to add to your rotation!
Lauren Grant | Zestful Kitchen
Ahhh delicious! The chicken comes together so quickly, aaand it’s super versatile!
SO easy and the chicken was so moist, not dry at all!!! Best recipe for tacos ever, thank you!!