Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos make an amazing family friendly dinner. They are easy to make any night of the week and come together quickly. Even your picky eaters will devour these Chicken Tacos.
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos in the Instant Pot
You will start this recipe by laying a flavor base in your Instant Pot:
- 4 peeled and crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp vinegar (apple cider or white)
- ½ cup of water
Next you want to add the metal trivet that came with your pot over the liquid and garlic. This will allow all the seasoning to stay on your chicken while cooking.
Cut your chicken breasts into 4 large chunks and set on a cutting board or rimmed baking sheet. Cutting your chicken gives it more surface area for more delicious flavor!
Taco Seasoning for Chicken
Mix the taco seasoning in a small bowl:
- 2 t Chili Powder
- 1 t Dried Oregano
- ½ t each: Onion Powder & Garlic Powder
- 1 t Kosher Salt
- ¼ t smoked paprika
Sprinkle all the seasoning over your cut chicken breasts, on all sides, pressing it in to make sure it sticks. As you pick up the chicken to place it in the Instant Pot mop up any extra seasoning with the chicken pieces. Don’t miss out on that flavor!
Pour 1 cup of your favorite jarred salsa over the chicken, trying to keep most of it on top of the chicken.
Cooking Chicken in the Instant Pot
Pop the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure valve to “seal”. Set the pot to cook on Meat/Stew mode, on high, for 7 minutes.
At the end do a natural release for 7 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
Shredding Chicken for Tacos
Using tongs or a fork, pull the hot chicken out of the Instant Pot (note: do not discard the liquid in the bottom of the pot). There are a few ways to shred the chicken.
- Using a mixer
- By hand
- With 2 forks
Shredding Chicken with a Hand Mixer
Using a mixer to shred chicken is by far the fastest and easiest method you will come across! It literally takes seconds.
Place the warm chicken in a large mixing bowl with ½ cup of the juice from the Instant Pot. You can also add the garlic pieces in for extra flavor. Turn the hand mixer on low and shred the chicken until it is the consistency you are looking for.
If you use a stand mixer, use the same method but use your paddle attachment.
To finish off the shredded chicken taco meat squeeze a little fresh lime juice over top. Stir that in, give it a taste for additional seasoning (salt, pepper, or heat- cayenne or red pepper flakes) and it’s time to eat!
Toppings for Shredded Chicken Tacos
You can eat this shredded chicken in soft or hard shells and top them with all your favorite taco toppings, here are some favorites:
- red onions or green onions
- salsa or pico de gallo
- sour cream
This recipe can be made to completion and then frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw simply put in a skillet, over medium low heat, with a little water and pop the lid on until it thaws completely.
Recipe for Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Tacos
- ½ cup water
- 4 fresh garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp vinegar apple cider or white vinegar
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1.5-2.5 pounds) cut into 4 pieces each
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp each: onion powder & garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup jarred salsa
- 1 fresh lime
- Add the ½ water, 4 crushed garlic cloves, and 1 tsp vinegar to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the metal trivet that came with your pot over the liquid.
- In a small bowl mix the chili powder, oregano, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and smoked paprika together.
- Sprinkle ALL the seasoning over your cut chicken breasts, on all sides, pressing it in to make sure it sticks.
- Place the seasoned chicken pieces in the Instant Pot on the metal trivet (note: As you pick up the chicken mop up any extra seasoning with the chicken pieces. Don't miss out on that flavor!)
- Pour 1 cup of jarred salsa over the chicken, trying to keep it on top of the chicken and not in the bottom of the pot.
- Pop the lid on the pot and lock the pressure valve to "seal". Set it to cook on Meat/Stew mode, on hight, for 7 minutes.Do a 7 minute natural release, then finish the rest of the pressure with a quick release.
- Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and add ½ cup of liquid from the bottom of the Instant Pot. (optional: add the garlic cloves too). Squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the chicken. Shred the chicken using a hand mixer (or stand mixer with a paddle attachment). You will want to do this while the chicken is still hot/warm.
- Taste for additional seasonings (salt, pepper, or heat- cayenne or red pepper flakes), and serve in hard or soft taco shells with your favorite taco toppings!
Ways to Use Shredded Taco Chicken
Of course tacos are always a good idea, but if you want to use this deliciously seasoned shredded chicken in a different way here are a few ideas: