BBQ Chicken Sliders are smaller sandwiches that are filled with delicious pulled chicken smothered in BBQ sauce, topped with red onions, provolone cheese, and cilantro. They are just the right size for an appetizer buffet or game day party. Or they make an excellent dinner when paired with a side dish.
This is not a delicate sandwich, it is a hearty chicken slider filled to the brim with BBQ Chicken and toppings. If you are feeding a crowd this is a great go-to easy sandwich to prepare!
Another great slider to check out are these meatloaf sliders! It is the perfect beef alternative to these chicken sliders.
Rinsing Your Raw Onions
This recipe calls for rinsing the red onions. This is a great kitchen tip! If you have a recipe that calls for raw onions, like broccoli bacon salad, give them a quick rinse with cool water. Or you can pop them in a bowl of cool water and let them sit for a few minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
It rinses away the enzyme that makes you taste onions in your mouth all day long. All you are left with is the delicious onion flavor that doesn’t overpower the sandwich.
Pulled or Shredded Chicken
This slider recipe calls for pulled or shredded chicken. One of the easiest ways to get this done is purchase a rotisserie chicken and shred the two breasts. You could also make this Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken, All Purpose Instant Pot Shredded Chicken, or Instant Pot Rotisserie Chicken.
Another option would be to make poached chicken.
Any way you choose to cook your chicken, the easiest way to shred/pull the chicken is by using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Note: make sure your chicken is warm if you use this method! Watch the video below to see how easy it is:
How to Make BBQ Chicken Sliders
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Start with a 12 count package of buns or slider buns. I like to use the Kings Hawaiian Savory Butter Rolls. Do not separate the buns, keep them all intact.
Using a serrated knife remove the top of the buns from the bottom by cutting through the buns horizontally.
Place the bottom buns in a 9×13 casserole pan. Top the buns with all the chicken, spreading it all the way to the edges.
Top the chicken with a layer of onion that have been rinsed or soaked and then patted dry on a paper towel.
Layer 6 slices of provolone cheese over the chicken & onions.
Finish with a layer of cilantro.
Pop the top of the buns on the sliders. Cover the pan with foil and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile melt together 2 tablespoon of salted butter with 1 minced garlic clove and 1 tablespoon parsley.
Remove the foil from the slider pan. Brush the top buns with all the butter, garlic, and parsley mixture.
Pop it back in the oven for an additional 5 minutes.
Time to eat!!
Game Day Food
This BBQ Chicken Slider recipe makes the perfect addition to a game-day buffet. Here are some other easy recipes to add:
- Instant Pot Country Style Ribs
- Chili Dogs
- Meatloaf Sliders
- Classic Chili or Instant Pot Chili
- Queso and Chips
- Restaurant Style Salsa and Chips
- Bacon Jam & Blue Cheese Burgers, Grilled Burgers, or Pork Burgers (could make any into sliders!)
- Instant Pot Mac & Cheese or Skillet Mac & Cheese
Listen To This Recipe!
You can also listen to this full recipe on my podcast, Let’s Make Dinner! I share the full recipe, tips and tricks and serving ideas.
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
BBQ Chicken Sliders
- 12 count small buns or slider buns I use King's Hawaiian Savory Butter Rolls
- 2.5-3 cups shredded or pulled chicken
- 1 cup BBQ sauce use your favorite brand
- ½ small red onion sliced
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Slice the onions and rinse with cold water or place in a bowl of cool water for a few minutes. Lay on a paper towel to dry the onions. kitchen tip: this helps rinse away the enzyme that keeps you tasting raw onions 2 hours after you ate them!
- Slice the buns in half horizontally, separating the bun tops from the bun bottoms. Keep the buns intact instead of splitting them into individual buns. Set the bottom buns in a 9×13 casserole pan (glass if you have it).
- In a bowl mix the 2.5 – 3 cups shredded chicken with 1 cup BBQ sauce.
- Top the bottom buns with all the chicken- spreading it all the way to the edges.
- Add the red onions, provolone cheese, and cilantro on top of the chicken.Place the top buns on the sliders. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the microwave melt the butter, garlic, and parsley together.
- Remove the chicken sliders from the oven, remove the foil and brush the top buns with the butter mixture.
- Place back in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Time to eat! Slice or pull the sliders apart to serve.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
The whole family loves these so much!!