This Asian Marinade for Salmon is a great way to quickly flavor your fish before you eat. It marinates in about 30 minutes and then you can cook it any way you want… on the stove top, in the oven or on the grill. The marinade will flavor your salmon with ginger, soy sauce, sesame and a little sweetness from honey.
Pictured are the ingredients you need to make this Asian Flavored Marinade, plus some tips on a few ingredients:
Ginger: you can buy fresh ginger in the produce section, it looks like a tree root. You peel the brown outside and just use the fragrant yellow flesh.
But what I recommend is buying the Dorot Gardens Ginger in the freezer. It comes in little teaspoon sized frozen cubes that can be popped out and used any time.
Unseasoned Rice Vinegar: You can find this vinegar near the Asian section of your grocery store. Make sure you purchase Unseasoned Rice Wine Vinegar. There is also a vinegar called Seasoned Rice Vinegar which will be stronger in flavor.
Garnish: It is not necessary to garnish your Asian marinated Salmon, but if you want these are some great options:
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onions
- lime wedges
- If you are using individual salmon filets then marinate them for about 30 minutes up to 1 hour.
- If you are using a larger whole salmon filet you can marinate it for up to 2 hours.
- Marinate your salmon flesh side down if you are using skin-on fish.
- Choose a shallow glass container to marinate your salmon, or you can go with a plastic baggie.
- Do not marinate your salmon for more than 4 hours. It will start to break down and the fish will turn mushy.
- Cook the salmon however you like, just make sure the center reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit with an instant read thermometer to be considered safe to eat.
You can make salmon in the oven, in a skillet, on a grill, poached in water…. if there is heat involved you can probably cook salmon.
You just want make sure the center reaches 145 degrees Fahrenheit with an instant read thermometer to be considered safe to eat.
More Fish Recipes For Dinner
Asian Marinade for Salmon
Serving Garnish Ideas
- toasted sesame seeds, green onions, lime wedges, cliantro
- Mix all the marinade ingredient together.
- Place in a shallow glass container or plastic baggie (Ziplock).
- Lay the salmon in the marinade, flesh side down if you are using skin on salmon. Spoon the marinade over the fish to coat.
- Let marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temp.– individual salmon filets can marinate for 30 minutes up to an hour.– whole salmon filet can marinate for up to 2 hours.I do not reccommend exceed 4 hours as the salmon will begin to break down and become mushy.
- Pull the salmon out of the marinade.RESERVE THE REMAINING MARINADE, it makes a delicious serving sauce (see directions below)!
- Cook the salmon in your preffered method. (oven, stove top, foil, grill, air fryer…)
- You can use the remaining marinade as a great sauce to pour over the salmon.
- Simply place it in a pot over medium low heat. Let it simmer for a few minutes until it slightly thickens.
- Serve on the side or spoon over each portion.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.