Creamy white chicken enchilada casserole, made in a skillet on the stove top, makes an excellent dinner!! This is such an easy white enchilada recipe that doesn’t require any layering and cooks in a flash. It is full of a light cream sauce, green chilies, tender shredded chicken, corn tortillas, and is all topped off with pepper jack cheese.
How to Make White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
For this chicken enchilada casserole you will want to start with a skillet that has high sides and a lid. Set it over medium low heat and melt 3 tbsp butter. Add in 1 cup diced onions, 3 chopped garlic cloves, and 1 chopped jalapenos and saute until softened, about 5 minutes. I like to take the seeds and ribs out of my jalapenos to decrease the heat.
Stir in 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp onion powder, and ½ tsp chili powder. Add 2 tbsp flour and stir around the pan for about 1 minute.
Pour in 1 ¼ cup chicken broth and 1 ½ cup milk (I recommend using whole or 2% milk). Give it a stir/whisk. Add in the can of chopped green chilies. Simmer lightly over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Turn the heat to low and whisk in the 5.3 oz container of plain greek yogurt. Stir in 2 cups of cooked chopped chicken. Nestle in the cut corn tortillas so they are all touching or IN the liquid.
Pop the lid on a cook over low for 5 minutes. Top with the 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese, pop the lid back on and cook for another 5 minutes.
Let set off the heat for 5 minutes and then serve!
Top your enchilada casserole with cilantro, a squeeze of lime and fresh avocado or guacamole.
Shredded Cooked Chicken
When a recipe calls for cooked chicken I love to pick up a rotisserie chicken at Costco. But if I don’t have a trip planned here are two great recipes to make your chicken in the Instant Pot:
White Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
White Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 cup onions, diced yellow or white
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped seeds and ribs removed for less heat
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk (2% or whole)
- 4 oz can chopped green chilies lightly drained
- 5.3 oz container plain greek yogurt can use sour cream instead
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 8-10 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese can use cheddar, Mexican blend, or monterey jack
- Optional toppings for serving: cilantro, squeeze of lime, fresh avocado, and/or guacamole
- Over medium low heat in a high sided pan (that has a lid) saute the 1 cup chopped onions, 3 chopped garlic cloves, 1 chopped jalapeno in the 3 tbsp butter until the onions are softened.
- Stir in the 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp onion powder and ½ tsp chili powder.
- Stir in 2 tbsp all purpose flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the 1 cup broth and 1 ½ cup milk (2% or whole recommended). Add the green chilies, let simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes
- Lower the heat to low and whisk in the 5.3 oz container of greek yogurt. Stir in the 2 cups cooked chicken and nestle in 8-10 corn tortillas.
- Pop the lid on and cook over low heat for 5 minutes .
- Top with shredded cheese, put the lid back on and cook another 5 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and then serve!Top with cilantro, squeeze of lime, and fresh avocado or guacamole.