Veggie Enchiladas make an excellent weeknight dinner. They are filled with poblano peppers, bell peppers, cilantro, tomatoes, corn, and refried black beans. Then they are topped with cheese and verde enchilada sauce. The best part, you’re going to love, is the chile lime crema that is drizzled on at the end. These might be my new favorite enchiladas!?
If you love enchiladas as much as me, then you do not want to miss this simple veggie enchilada recipe. If your love runs deep then definitely check out my chicken enchiladas, they are amazing!
Veggie Enchiladas for a Healthy Weeknight Dinner
If you are trying to inject more vegetables in your diet, like me, then this vegetarian enchilada recipe is going to be your new go-to. They are not only delicious and full of veggies, they only cook for 12 minutes (WHAT!?), making this a simple dinner recipe. Which all Mom’s need, right!?
How to Make Veggie Enchiladas with Chili Lime Crema
Start by preheating your oven to 450 degrees. You are going to cook these enchiladas hot and fast.
Then over medium heat on the stove top, warm a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet. Saute the poblanos, bell peppers, and garlic for about 5 minutes until they begin to slightly soften. Add the spices, corn, green onions, cilantro, and tomatoes and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Set that aside to cool a little, while you prep all the other ingredients.
Spray a large (9×13) glass baking dish with non-stick spray.
(This recipe will make 8-10 veggie enchiladas. You will want to divide the veggie filling and beans evenly between the tortillas.)
Spread a heaping tablespoon of black beans down the center of the flour tortilla and then top with some of the veggie filling. Now roll the tortilla over the filling and lay it in your prepared baking dish, seam side down.
Once you have all the enchiladas rolled, top them with the entire can of verde enchilada sauce, and then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Pop that in the oven, uncovered, for 12 minutes.
While your vegetable enchiladas bake make the AWESOME chili lime crema!
How to Make Chili Lime Crema
In a small bowl combine the Greek yogurt, chili powder, salt, garlic powder, water, and lime juice. Whisk or stir it together until it is completely combined and smooth. It should be thin enough to drizzle/pour. If you need to add a little more water, go ahead, but add a teaspoon at a time, you don’t want it too watery!
After the enchiladas come out of the oven, let them cool for about 5 minutes. Then drizzle ½ the Chili Lime Crema over the top, and garnish with extra green onions and cilantro. Serve the remaining Crema on the side.
Time to eat!
I hope you give these amazing Veggie Enchiladas with Chili Lime Crema a try in your kitchen. And if you do, let me know!!
Veggie Enchiladas with Chili Lime Crema
- 1 tbsp oil I use olive oil
- 1 poblano pepper, diced 1 cup +
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), diced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- ¾ cup fresh tomatoes, diced (I use cherry tomatoes or roma tomatoes)
- 4 green onions, white & light green parts chopped (use any extra for garnish)
- ½ cup cup frozen corn
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped (use any extra for garnish)
- ¼ tsp each: garlic powder, onion powder
- ½ tsp each: cumin, chili powder, salt
- 1 16oz can refried black beans (may not use the ENTIRE can, I usually have a couple tbsps left)
- 8-10 flour tortillas, medium, soft taco size
- 1 10oz can verde enchilada sauce
- ¾ cup shredded cheese: can use cheddar, colby jack, pepper jack, or monterey jack
Chili Lime Crema
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ tsp each: cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, salt
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.Prep a 9×13 glass baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
- On the stove top, in a skillet over medium heat, saute the poblano peppers, bell peppers, and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes.Then add all the seasonings & spices, green onions, tomatoes, corn, and cilantro and saute for another 5 minutes.
Assemble the Veggie Enchiladas
- Spread 1 heaping tablespoon of refried black beans down the center of a flour tortilla and then top with some of the sauteed veggie mix (dividing the veggie mix evenly between all the tortillas), roll the tortilla over the filling. Lay each tortilla, seam side down, in your prepared baking dish.Pour the verde enchilada sauce over the rolled enchiladas, then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top.
Bake the Veggie Enchiladas
- Bake, uncovered, for 12 minutes. Set aside and let cool for 5 minutes.
Chili Lime Crema
- Combine all the crema ingredients in a dish and whisk or stir until it is completely combined and smooth. It should be a consistency that you can drizzle or pour. If you need to add more water, do so, a teaspoon at a time. You do not want it to be too watery!
Serving the Veggie Enchiladas
- Drizzle or pour half of the Chili Lime Crema over the enchiladas and garnish with extra chopped green onions and cilantro. Serve the other half of the chili lime crema on the side.Enjoy!