This Easy Enchilada Skillet is so simple to make, you get all the flavors you love in traditional enchiladas without all the work! This one pan enchilada recipe only requires 7 ingredients and about 30 minutes. You can make this during a busy week or for a fun weekend dinner!
Looking for a more traditional Chicken Enchilada Recipe? Check out My Favorite Chicken Enchiladas.
Chicken Enchilada Skillet
You could also make these bean and cheese enchiladas or beef enchiladas!
How to Make Easy Enchilada Skillet
You will want to use a skillet that has high sides and lid that fits well.
In 1 tbsp olive oil saute 1 cup onions and 3 garlic cloves over medium low heat until they are softened, about 5 minutes. If you are using beef you will want to brown/crumble it with the onions and garlic, then remove excess grease before moving on.
Pour in two 10 ounce cans red enchilada sauce and 1 cup chicken broth. If you want to use chicken add 1 cup shredded or diced chicken now, or if you are using beans add those now. Bring the sauce to a boil over medium heat.
While that comes to a boil, cut your corn tortillas into quarters. Like cutting a pizza into 4 pieces- see the photo below for visual guide:
Once the sauce boils bring the heat back down to low and add the cut tortillas, nestling them into the sauce.
Pop the lid on and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the lid and sprinkle with cheese. Pop the lid back on and simmer for another 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and gooey.
Let the enchilada skillet sit off the heat for about 5 minutes to set before serving.
Top with your favorite toppings (see below) and enjoy!
If you are serving these for dinner, don’t forget the toppings. They are not totally necessary, but they are delicious:
- fresh avocado
- sour cream
- diced tomatoes
- green onions
Easy Enchilada Skillet Recipe
Easy Enchilada Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow or white onions diced
- 3 fresh garlic cloves chopped
- 2 10 oz cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12-15 corn tortillas quartered
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese could also use colby jack, pepper jack, or monterey jack
Optional Add Ins for Variations
- 1 cup shredded or diced chicken for chicken enchilada skillet
- ½ lb. ground beef for beef and cheese enchilada skillet
- 16 oz can whole pinto beans, drained and rinsed for bean and cheese enchilada skillet
- avocado, green onions, cilantro, sour cream, jalapeno, guacamole
- In a large high sided skillet (that has a lid) saute the 1 cup diced onions and 3 chopped garlic cloves in 1 tbsp olive oil, over medium low heat. Just until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup chicken broth and two 10 ounce cans of red enchilada sauce. (If you are using 1 cup shredded or diced chicken, add that now) Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Lower the heat to low and nestle the tortillas into the sauce. Cover the pan with the lid and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and sprinkle the tortillas with 1 ½ cups shredded cheese. Pop the lid back on and simmer for 5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and gooey!
- Let the pan sit uncovered, off the heat, for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- For bean and cheese add a can of drained and rinsed whole pinto beans where it says to add the chicken in the recipe.
- For beef and cheese add ½ lb ground beef and brown/crumble when you cook the onions. Drain excess grease before moving on in the recipe.