Tomato Cream Sauce is the perfect pasta sauce recipe to use when you want a little change from traditional marinara, but not a lot of extra work. It is SO easy to make. This recipe is made from your favorite jarred marinara sauce mixed with cream, milk, onions, garlic and spices.
Some call this one Pink Pasta, Rosé Pasta or Rose Pasta! It does take on a little pink hue (I think it is a little more orange) from the mix of the red marinara and milk/cream. Tell your kids you are having pink pasta for dinner and I bet they gobble it up.
If you are looking for more of a traditional marinara sauce, check out this recipe for Homemade Marinara Sauce.
Gluten Free Pasta Sauce
This sauce is made without flour. Instead the heavy cream thickens it enough to cling to the noodles perfectly. So as long as your jarred marinara is also gluten free this also makes a great gluten-free creamy pasta sauce option.
How to Make Tomato Cream Sauce
Start with a pot over medium/low heat. Pour in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once it is heated through add the diced onions and chopped garlic, soften completely for about 5-8 minutes.
Note- while the sauce cooks you can cook the pasta in a separate pot.
Next stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, salt and tomato paste. Stir it around the pan until the tomato paste coats the onions and garlic.
Pour in 1 cup heavy whipping cream and ½ cup milk (I reccommend 2% or whole milk). Lightly simmer over medium/low heat for about 8 minutes.
Stir in 2 cups of your favorite jarred marinara sauce. Stir until everything is combined and warmed through.
Serve this Creamy Tomato Sauce over 1 lb. of cooked pasta – you can use spaghetti, penne, rigatoni… whatever you like or whatever you have.
You can optionally top this pasta with shredded parmesan and/or fresh basil.
Make it a Meal
You can certainly stir in some sauteed shrimp, grilled chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken if you want a little protein mixed in.
Serve dinner with a side salad, Big Italian Salad, or Caesar salad and some garlic bread!
More Pasta Sauce Recipes
If pasta is on heavy rotation at your house, here are some more super delicious pasta sauce recipes to try:
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Easy Tomato Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onions diced
- 3 fresh garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes more for additional heat
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk recommend 2% or whole
- 2 cups jarred marinara use your favorite brand (we love Rao's)
- 1 lb. your favorite pasta (spaghetti, penne, rigatoni….) cooked per package instructions
- In a pot over medium/low heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil, soften ½ cup diced onion and 3 chopped garlic cloves, it will take about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, pinch red pepper flakes and 1 tablespoon tomato paste. Stir it around the pot until the tomato paste coats the onions and garlic.
- Stir in the 1 cup heavy cream and ½ cup milk. Lightly simmer over medium/low heat for about 5-8 minutes, until it will coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir in 2 cups of your favorite jarred marinara until it is completely mixed with the cream mixture.
- Taste for additional salt/pepper and serve over your cooked pasta.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Love the ease in making the sauce. Poured it over bow tie pasta added some mushrooms. Delicious! Thank you for the recipe.
This is delicious.
This is our favorite restaurant sauce and I’ve tried multiple times to make it. Your recipe is the easiest and best tasting ever!!! The whole family goes nuts over it. It is delicious!!!