Tomato Cream Sauce is the perfect pasta sauce recipe to use when you want a little change from traditional marinara, but not a lot of extra work. It is SO easy to make. This recipe is made from your favorite jarred marinara sauce mixed with cream, milk, onions, garlic and spices.
Some call this one Pink Pasta, Rosé Pasta or Rose Pasta! It does take on a little pink hue (I think it is a little more orange) from the mix of the red marinara and milk. Tell your kids you are having pink pasta for dinner and I bet they gobble it up.
If you are looking for more of a traditional marinara sauce, check out this recipe for Homemade Marinara Sauce.
Gluten Free Tomato Cream Sauce
This sauce is made without flour. Instead the heavy cream thickens it enough to cling to the noodles perfectly. So as long as your jarred marinara is also gluten free this also makes a great gluten-free creamy pasta sauce option.
How to Make Tomato Cream Sauce
Start with a pot over medium/low heat. Pour in about 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once it is heated through add the diced onions and chopped garlic, soften completely for about 5-8 minutes.
Note- while the sauce cooks you can cook the pasta in a separate pot.
Next stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, salt and tomato paste. Stir it around the pan until the tomato paste coats the onions and garlic.
Pour in 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 1/2 cup milk (I reccommend 2% or whole milk). Lightly simmer over medium/low heat for about 8 minutes.
Stir in 2 cups of your favorite jarred marinara sauce. Stir until everything is combined and warmed through.
Serve this Creamy Tomato Sauce over 1 lb. of cooked pasta – you can use spaghetti, penne, rigatoni… whatever you like or whatever you have.
You can optionally top this pasta with shredded parmesan and/or fresh basil.
Make it a Meal
Serve dinner with a side salad or caesar salad and some garlic bread!
Tomato Cream Sauce Recipe
Easy Tomato Cream Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onions diced
- 3 fresh garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes more for additional heat
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk recommend 2% or whole
- 2 cups jarred marinara use your favorite brand
- 1 lb. your favorite pasta (spaghetti, penne, rigatoni….) cooked per package instructions
- In a pot over medium/low heat add 1 tbsp olive oil, soften 1/2 cup diced onion and 3 chopped garlic cloves, it will take about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the 1 tsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, pinch red pepper flakes and 1 tbsp tomato paste. Stir it around the pot until the tomato paste coats the onions and garlic.
- Stir in the 1 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup milk. Lightly simmer over medium/low heat for about 5-8 minutes, until it will coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir in 2 cups of your favorite jarred marinara until it is completely mixed with the cream mixture. Taste for additional salt/pepper and serve over your cooked pasta.