Chicken Spiedini with Amogio Sauce is deliciously marinated chicken pieces that are breaded, skewered, and baked. Then it is traditionally served with pasta and a side of Amogio sauce (lemon and butter) for dipping. It makes an amazing Italian style family dinner!
Listen to the Recipe
You can also listen to a podcast episode sharing all the tips and tricks for making amazing chicken spiedini, plus the full audio recipe. There is a convenient audio player in the recipe card below!
Pronounced “Spee-dee-nee” or “Spah-dee-nee”.
Spiedini is a traditional Italian dish made of marinated meat, rolled in fine Italian bread crumbs, skewered, and baked or grilled.
It was traditionally made with veal or beef (eye of round).
Chicken Spiedini at Garozzo’s
I live in Kansas City where Garozzo’s Ristorante is located. If you search “chicken spiedini” on Google, it comes up that Chicken Spiedini was actually invented at Garozzo’s.
It definitely is the first place I ever heard of this Italian dish.
However, whether this is true or not is up for debate. But I will say they make some damn good Spiedini.
Here are the things that you need to make this Chicken Spiedini Recipe and Amogio Sauce, plus some helpful tips on a few ingredients:
Chicken – buy good quality boneless skinless chicken breasts. I like to buy Smart Chicken. If you can find chicken that has been “air chilled” you are on the right track to having really good chicken.
Garlic – for this recipe you just want to crush the garlic cloves to release thier flavors into the marinade. If you chop or mince the garlic it will stick to the chicken and you risk it burning in the oven.
Italian Bread Crumbs – make sure you use fine/traditional bread crumbs. Now is not the time for the coarser panko bread crumbs.
If you do not have “Italian” bread crumbs, just use traditional bread crumbs and mix in 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – definitely use the “extra virgin” type of olive oil. It has a very distinct buttery flavor that you want, especially in the Amogio sauce.
Did you know that you can actually freeze white wine to use in recipes.
I buy chardonnay in an aseptic container (looks like a small carton) and after I have used a little I will just pop the whole carton in the freezer.
You want to make sure you leave a little room for the container to expand when freezing. You can also pop the whole carton in a freezer safe bag to make sure there are no wine explosions in your freezer.
It will freeze like a slushy so you can scoop out what you need, when you need it.
Step By Step Picture Instructions
This is a 24 hour recipe, including marinating time, so make sure you leave time to make this the right way. It is FULL of flavor!
Start by cutting your chicken breast into 1 ½ inch chunks.
Grab a large zip lock baggie for marinating.
Add the chicken chunks to the bag, also add in the crushed garlic cloves, lemon zest, extra virgin olive oil, water, white wine, and kosher salt.
Now seal the bag and squish it around in your hands so that the marinade mixes and coats the chicken.
Pop in the fridge for 24 hours (24 hours preferred… can go up to 48 hours too).
Assembly and Baking
Grab 6-8 skewers.
If you are using wooden skewers you will want to soak them in water for about 15-20 minutes while you bread the chicken chunks. This will prevent them from burning up in the oven.
Set up an assembly:
- The bag of chicken in marinade.
- A plate or shallow bowl with the bread crumbs
- A plate lined with a paper towel
- Large rimmed baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with non stick spray.
With tongs pull a couple chicken cubes out of the marinade, roll in the bread crumbs making sure the crumbs adhere to the chicken cubes. Place on the paper towel lined plate. Repeat until all the chicken pieces are breaded.
Skewer the chicken pieces, about 5 pieces per skewer. Then place on the prepared baking sheet.
Spray the tops of the skewers with the non-stick spray. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, flip the skewers and bake another 10 minutes.
While the skewers are baking prepare the Amogio Sauce.
Over low heat in a small sauce pan melt together the butter, evoo, salt and red pepper flakes.
If you really love garlic you could add one minced garlic clove too.
Once the butter melts remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and parsley.
Give it a taste for additional seasoning- more lemon, salt or red pepper flakes.
These marinated chicken skewers are amazing served with pasta and a side salad (basil vinaigrette is a great dressing)! Here are some of our faves:
- Pesto Pasta (number one choice!)
- Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce
- Instant Pot Spaghetti
- Make an alfredo pasta (or Instant Pot Alfredo), and replace the chicken in the recipe with this Spiedini.
- Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes (great for summer!!)
Other Delicious Italian Recipes
Chicken Spiedini with Amogio Sauce Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs. – up to 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch to 1 ½ inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves crushed to break open and release their flavor into the marinade
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white wine
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- non stick baking spray
- In a large Ziploc plastic bag combine the garlic, lemon zest, oil, water, wine and salt.
- Add the chicken pieces and marinate in the fridge for 24 hours, can marinate up to 48 hours.
Assemble & Bake
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Prep a large rimmed baking sheet with foil, sprayed with non stick spray.If using wooden skewers, put them in water to soak for 15-20 minutes.
- Prep two plates: one with the Italian Bread Crumbs and one lined with a paper towel.
- With tongs remove the chicken from the marinade, about 3 pieces at a time, and roll in the bread crumbs, coating all sides. Then place on the paper towel lined plate. Repeat with all pieces of chicken. (discard any remaining marinade).
- Skewer the chicken, about 5 pieces per skewer, pushing them close together.You should have 6-8 skewers.
- Place on the foil lined baking sheet, spray the tops of the skewers with additional non stick spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, flip the skewers and bake another 10 minutes. Make sure they are cooked through to 165° internal temp.
- Serve, 1-2 skewers per person. Excellent drizzled with Amogio sauce or topped with pesto!
- While the Spiedini bakes make the Amogio sauce
- In a small saucepan melt together the butter, evoo, salt and red pepper flakes. If you really love garlic you can add one minced garlic clove as well.Remove from the heat when they are melted together.
- Stir in the parsley and lemon juice.
- Taste for additional seasoning.Serve drizzled over Chicken Spiedini or in a cup on the side for dipping.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.