Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo is a traditional Italian pasta dish. Creamy parmesan sauce is tossed with fettuccine pasta and topped with tender pieces of cooked chicken. This Fettuccine Alfredo recipe makes an amazing family dinner, just add a salad and some warm bread.
You can also make this recipe in your Instant Pot! Follow the instructions over at Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo.
Ingredients & Supplies
Grab these ingredients and supplies to get you Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo dinner started:
- large pot with salted water
- large non-stick skillet
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- kosher salt and pepper
- all purpose flour
- olive oil
- fettuccine pasta
- chicken broth or stock
- heavy whipping cream (also called heavy cream or double cream)
- onion powder
- shredded parmesan cheese
Fettuccine is the noodle type that this recipe calls for. However, linguine, pappardelle, mafaldine or any wide noodle will work here!
Heavy cream (also called heavy whipping cream or double cream) is essential for making alfredo sauce. It is the main component of the cream sauce and cannot be subbed for a lower fat version.
Also do not purchase fat-free heavy cream. You need the fat content to thicken this sauce.
Lemon zest is specifically the yellow rind of the lemon. It is full of lemon essential oils and flavor! It is the perfect bright acid note to add to this creamy dish.
To get the zest of a lemon use a “rasp” or microplane zester, rub the lemon across the surface and thin strands of yellow lemon zest will fall from the underside. Take care not to zest into the white pith of the lemon flesh, you only want the yellow. The pith can be bitter.
Get the lemon zest from the fresh lemon, then cut it in half and squeeze the fresh juice.
How to make Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Place a pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, cut your chicken breasts in half lengthwise and then in 3 inch strips. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.
TIP: Place your chicken in a clean paper bag (or plastic bag). Shake the chicken in the bag, remove the chicken and then toss the bag. Easy clean up!
In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat add 1-2 tablespoon olive oil. Brown the chicken strips until cooked through (165 degree internal temp.). Cook in two batches, adding more oil to the pan if needed. Set the chicken aside, covered to keep warm.
Now place the fettuccine in the boiling water. Cook al dente according to package instructions.
Wipe out the non-stick skillet with a paper towel. Over medium-low heat add the butter and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for another 1 minute.
Whisk in the chicken broth, then add the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and onion powder.
Whisk in the heavy cream let the alfredo sauce simmer over medium-low / low heat for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the parmesan cheese to the sauce, stir until it is melted and incorporated in the sauce.
Toss the cooked fettuccine into the sauce. Top with the chicken and extra parmesan cheese. Top with cooked chicken.
Serve hot! The sauce will thicken and harden as it cools so serve while it is hot!
To reheat leftover Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo add a little milk to reconstitute the sauce and warm over low heat, stirring often.
For a delicious family dinner serve this Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo with a salad dressed with a vinaigrette and some garlic bread.
Troubleshooting Alfredo Sauce
This recipe is tested and tested again… but if something goes array, here are some tips to get your alfredo sauce just perfect!
- Too thin? Keep simmering for another 5 minutes. Add a little extra parmesan cheese. Then let it cool for about 3 minutes.
- Too thick? Add ¼ cup chicken broth or milk at a time until the sauce is just right.
- More flavor? Add a little more lemon zest and/or minced garlic and/or garlic powder
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- large pot
- Large non-stick skillet
- 1 lb chicken breasts slice breasts lengthwise into thinner breasts, then slice into 3 inch strips
- kosher salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb fettuccine pasta cooked al dente per package instructions
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (also called heavy cream or double cream)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- additional parmesan cheese and/or parsley
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil to cook your pasta.
- Cut the chicken into strips and then season with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken in flour.Tip: put the flour in a paper bag and add the chicken strips. Shake it up and then remove the chicken and throw the bag away!
- In a large non-stick skillet add the olive oil, cook the chicken until it is cooked through (165 degrees internal temp.). Set aside and cover to keep warm.
- Place the pasta in the boiling water and cook al dente according to package instructions while you make the alfredo sauce.
- In the now empty non-stick skillet add the butter and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the flour and stir it in the pan to mix with the butter, cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, then add the lemon juice, lemon zest, kosher salt, and onion powder. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Now whisk in the heavy cream and let it simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir until it is melted and incorporated.
- Stir the cooked pasta into the sauce, top with the cooked chicken and garnish with parsley and/or extra parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately while hot!Tip: the sauce will thicken and firm up while it cools, so serve while it is hot!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.