Pan Roasted Cherry Tomatoes tossed over pasta makes an amazing pasta dinner recipe or Italian side dish. It is a lightly seasoned pasta dish that gets its flavor from the delicious fresh tomato juice, extra virgin olive oil, garlic and balsamic.
Cherry or grape tomatoes are slow “roasted” in a extra virgin olive oil and then tossed with plenty of garlic, a little sugar and balsamic. The best part is the toasted bread crumbs, parm cheese, and fresh basil that tops off this dish!
This is a great recipe to make if you have a summer garden full of cherry tomatoes or if you have some tomatoes that need to be used before they turn.
How to Make Pasta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
While making the pan roasted tomato sauce you will want to boil the water and cook your pasta according to package instructions.
In a large skillet (that has a lid, because the tomatoes will sputter in the oil as they pop) over medium low heat add ½ cup good extra virgin olive oil. Let it heat for a minute or two. Add 1 ½ to 2 lbs of cherry or grape tomatoes. Let the tomatoes saute for 15 minutes.
TIP: For the last 5 minutes lightly press on some of the tomatoes with a wooden spoon to release a little extra juice.
Add 4 thinly sliced garlic cloves and let them warm for 5 minutes.
Off the heat add 1 ½ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoon sugar, and 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar. Stir it around the pan and then pour it over the cooked pasta. Toss in a lot of fresh torn basil.
In the now empty skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter over low heat. Add ½ cup panko bread crumbs and toast them until they are golden brown and smell like toast.
Taste the pasta for additional salt or drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
Then to serve toss the pasta with fresh shaved parmesan cheese and top with the toasted bread crumbs.
This makes an excellent light entree or Italian side dish for meatballs or Italian Meatloaf!
I highly recommend using Capellini pasta for this recipe, which is also called angel hair or thin spaghetti. There is nothing like a big of the delicate noodles coated in the sweet roasted tomato and garlic flavor!
You can certainly use spaghetti, bucatini or linguini as well. I would just recommend sticking with a “string” style pasta versus something like penne or rigatoni.
Pasta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes Recipe
Pasta with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 lb spaghetti or spaghettini cooked per package instructions
- 1 ½ lbs to 2 lbs. cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup good extra virgin olive oil
- 4 plump garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter
- fresh basil
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- additional extra virgin olive oil
- In a large skillet (that has a lid) over medium low heat add ½ cup extra virgin olive oil. Once the oil is warm add the tomatoes. Roast in the pan, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. For the last 5 minutes lightly press a few of the tomatoes with a wooden spoon to release a little juice.NOTE: BE CAREFUL, THE TOMATOES WILL POP AS THEY START TO WARM. Have the lid ready.
- Add the garlic and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Off the heat stir in the 1 ½ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar and 1 teaspoon sugar. Pour over the cooked pasta and toss in a lot of fresh torn basil.Taste for additional salt, also another drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- In the now empty pan add 1 tablespoon butter and the ½ cup panko bread crumbs. Brown over low heat until the bread crumbs are golden and smell like toast.
- Top the pasta with the toasted bread crumbs, fresh grated parmesan, and more basil.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.