A Tequila Sunrise Cocktail is a great tequila cocktail with bold colors and delicious combination of just 3 ingredients; silver tequila, orange juice and grenadine. It is the perfect cocktail for a summer afternoon or a festive evening. It is also not a super liquor forward cocktail, so if you like a fruity drink, this will be your jam!
The Tequila Sunrise Cocktail is a simple drink to make, requiring only a few basic ingredients. Here are the essential components:
- Tequila – Since this is a mixed drink that is not tequila forward you’ll just need a medium quality silver tequila. We love Espolon, Cazadores or Jose Cuervo Trandicional.
- Orange juice – Freshly squeezed orange juice is super yummy, but you can also use store-bought orange juice. I would recommend buying one that is pulp free to appeal to a wider audience.
- Grenadine syrup – Grenadine syrup is a sweet, ruby-red syrup that’s made from pomegranate juice and sugar. It gives the Tequila Sunrise Cocktail its signature “sunrise” effect. It also what gives a Shirley Temple it’s red color and flavor.
This tequila cocktail is traditionally garnished with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.
For an upgrade on the cocktail garnish you can use a candies orange wheel (the ones from Trader Joes are amazing!!) and Luxardo or Amarena Brandied Cherries!
Tequila Sunrise Cocktail Variations
While the classic Tequila Sunrise Cocktail is always delish, there are many variations on the recipe that you can try. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Grapefruit Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – Substitute grapefruit juice for the orange juice in the recipe for a tangy twist on the classic drink.
- Pineapple Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – Add a splash of pineapple juice to the recipe for a tropical twist on the classic drink.
- Mango Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – Mix mango puree with the orange juice in the recipe for a fruity and refreshing twist on the classic drink.
- Spicy Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – Add a slice of jalapeno pepper to the recipe for a spicy kick. Or use Jalapeno Infused Tequila in place of the silver tequila.
- Frozen Tequila Sunrise Cocktail – Blend the ingredients with ice to create a frozen version of the classic drink.
A Tequila Sunrise is the combination of 3 ingredients; silver tequila, orange juice and grenadine. When the grenadine is poured in it sinks to the bottom and creates a “Sunrise” appearance of reds, pinks and oranges.
When you first make the drink you will not stir, leaving the grenadine to sink to the bottom and make the “Sunrise” appearance. However, when you are ready to drink the cocktail you will want to use a straw or stir spoon to mix the drink together for a better drinking experience.
More Tequila Cocktails
Tequila Sunrise Cocktail Recipe
- High Ball Glass
- 4 oz Orange Juice
- 2 oz silver tequila
- .5 oz grenadine syrup
- orange wheel and/or maraschino cherry
- for an upgraded garnish use candied orange wheel (Trader Joe's is great) and Luxardo Brandied Cherries
- Fill a highball glass with ice.
- Pour in the tequila and orange juice.4 oz Orange Juice, 2 oz silver tequila
- Slowly pour the grenadine syrup over the back of a spoon so that it sinks to the bottom of the glass and creates the “sunrise” effect.Don't stir yet!.5 oz grenadine syrup
- Garnish with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.orange wheel and/or maraschino cherry, for an upgraded garnish use candied orange wheel (Trader Joe's is great) and Luxardo Brandied Cherries
- Serve.When it's time to drink, stir the cocktail to mix the ingredients.
- Jose Cuervo Traditional
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.