This Baked Feta and Tomato appetizer will soon be one of your go-to appetizer recipes. Tangy feta cheese is smothered in a mixture of cherry tomatoes, garlic, shallots, capers, olive oil and herbs, then broiled to creamy deliciousness with a browned top. Serve it up with some crostini or pita chips and delicious cocktails.
If you are a visual learner you can watch this Feta Appetizer being made on a 30 minute episode of Pin TV.
Ingredients & Supplies
Pictured below are the ingredients you will need to make this Baked Feta recipe, plus some tips on a few ingredients and supplies:
Quality Feta Cheese – You will want to look for a block of feta cheese, not the crumbles. See more about feta cheese below.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – In this recipe you will use “extra virgin” olive oil. It has a much more pronounced flavor than just regular olive oil. Look for a Greek, Spanish or Italian extra virgin olive oil, they have a little more flavor.
Capers – If you haven’t used capers, you are going to LOVE them. They are a traditional Mediterranean ingredient. It is the edible flower buds from the perennial plant called Capparis spinosa (or caper bush or Flinders rose). They are brined and have a salty pickled flavor.
Shallots – are in the onion and garlic family. They have a milder onion flavor that pairs perfectly with the feta and capers!
Small Oven Safe Pan– To make this dish in one pan you want to have a small oven safe dish. Any of these will work:
Feta cheese is a semi-soft Greek white cheese that is made from sheep and/or goat milk. It is brined in blocks and has a slightly grainy texture with a very tart and tangy flavor. It is commonly used in a lot of Mediterranean and Greek recipes.
You will want to buy a block of feta- either in brine or in a package. The feta will not melt completely when it is baked. Instead, it becomes warm, soft and creamy. Perfect texture to scoop and dip with bread or chips.
If you don’t have the exact ingredients or want to make some changes here are some great substitutions to consider:
Love Olives? Add a few chopped black olives, kalamata or Greek olives to the tomato mixture.
Can’t find shallots? Try adding in finely chopped red onion instead. If you have a strong onion, cut a large slice and then rinse it with cool water before chopping. That will wash away some of the enzyme that will have the onion flavor overpower the dish.
Fresh Herbs – Add some fresh oregano, thyme or rosemary for a new flavor profile.
Fresh Tomatoes in Short Supply? Try using sun dried tomatoes instead. Buy the ones packed in oil and drain them before using. BUT you can use some of that oil in place of the extra virgin olive oil… try a 50/50 split.
How To: Recipe Step by Step
This is a pretty easy recipe. Here is how to put it together, step-by-step:
- Start by setting your block of feta in your baking dish, at room temp, for about 30 minutes. **info on cheese at room temp.
- Put a rack in the oven in one of the top positions, about 6-10 inches from the heat source. Then preheat the broiler.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat add the olive oil. Sauté the garlic and shallots for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, kosher salt, pepper and sugar and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the capers, basil and oregano.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the feta cheese.
- Pop under the broiler for 8-10 minutes. Watch it carefully around the 8 minute mark. Broilers vary widely!
- Serve warm with pita chips or crostini for dipping.
More Amazing Appetizer Recipes
Creamy Baked Feta with Tomatoes Recipe
- Small baking dish
- 8 oz block feta cheese bring to room temp, about 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoon shallot finely chopped (can sub red onion)
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes halved if they are larger. multicolored if you can find it!
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon capers drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat the broiler and set the oven rack to the top position. Set the feta at room temp while the oven preheats.
- Place the feta block in a small oven proof baking dish. Set aside.8 oz block feta cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat add the extra virgin olive oil. Add the garlic and shallots and soften for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar and sauté an additional 2 minutes.2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tablespoon shallot, 10 oz cherry tomatoes, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon sugar
- Remove from the heat and stir in the capers, basil and oregano.2 tablespoon capers, 1 tablespoon fresh basil, ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- Pour the tomato mixture over the feta.
- Broil for approx 8-10 minutes until the feta is beginning to brown on top. Keep a close eye on the feta at this point… broilers can vary widely and your appetizer may be ready closer to 8 minutes.
- Serve the feta and tomatoes warm with pita chips, crostini, or warm crusty bread.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.