This Baked Feta appetizer will soon be one of your go-to appetizer recipes. If you love tangy feta cheese then you MUST make this! A block of feta cheese is smothered in a mixture of cherry tomatoes, garlic, shallots, capers, olive oil and herbs, then broiled to creamy deliciousness with a browned top.
Add some pita chips or crostini on the side for dipping and you will have a happy crowd!
Some other great appetizers to check out are Baked Spinach Artichoke Dip, Skillet Cajun Shrimp, or Garlic Butter Steak Bites. And if you need a killer cocktail to wash it all down these Pomegranate Martinis are spectacular!
Ingredients & Supplies
Here are the things you will need to make this Baked Feta recipe:
- Small baking dish
- Saute pan
- 8 oz block of feta cheese
- extra virgin olive oil
- shallot (or red onion)
- cherry tomatoes – the multi colored ones are yummy and pretty.
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil
- dried oregano
Make sure you purchase the correct feta cheese! You will want to buy a block of feta- either in brine or in a package. Do not buy the crumbles, that will not work in this recipe. (although the crumbles are great in this recipe for Greek Turkey Burgers!)
Making Baked Feta
This is a pretty easy recipe. Here is how to put it together, step-by-step:
- Start by setting your block of feta in your baking dish, at room temp, for about 30 minutes. **info on cheese at room temp.
- Put the top rack of the oven in one of the top positions, about 6-10 inches from the heat source. Then preheat the broiler.
- In a saute pan over medium heat add the olive oil. Saute the garlic and shallots for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and sugar and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the capers, basil and oregano.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the feta cheese.
- Pop under the broiler for 8-10 minutes. Watch it carefully around the 8 minute mark. Broilers vary widely!
- Serve warm with pita chips or crostini for dipping.
Baked Feta with Tomatoes Recipe
Baked Feta with Tomatoes
- Small baking dish
- 8 oz block feta cheese bring to room temp, about 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp shallot finely chopped (can sub red onion)
- 10 oz cherry tomatoes multicolored if you can find it!
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp capers drained
- 1 tbsp basil chopped
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- Preheat the broiler and set the oven rack to the top position.
- Place the feta block in a small oven proof baking dish. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat add the olive oil. Add the garlic and shallots and soften for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and sugar and saute an additional 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the capers, basil and oregano.
- Pour the tomato mixture over the feta.
- Broil for approx 8-10 minutes until the feta is beginning to brown on top. Keep a close eye on the feta at this point… broilers can vary widely and your appetizer may be ready closer to 8 minutes.
- Serve the feta and tomatoes warm with pita chips, crostini, or warm crusty bread.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.