This One Pot Lasagna recipe has all the classic lasagna flavors that you love: pasta, sausage, basil, tomato, cheese… lots of cheese. Except this recipe is SO SIMPLE to make! It all comes together in one pot and is ready in under an hour.
My love for lasagna is a life long love. When I was little, vegetarian lasagna was my requested birthday dinner every year. My Mom made her lasagna with carrots, zucchini, and cottage cheese. That is why I still like zucchini and carrots in my lasagna recipe. I truly love cottage cheese in my lasagna too, however, my husband would probably die of grossness if I put cottage cheese in his lasagna, so we opt for ricotta cheese instead.
Back in the day I did not eat meat. Strictly vegetarian from age 12 to 27! It all stemmed from a bad dream that still haunts me if I think too hard about it. EWWWWW.
Now-a-days I like a meat lasagna recipe. In this recipe I use a mild Italian turkey sausage. You could also opt for an Italian pork sausage.
How to Make One Pot Lasagna
Lasagna can be super labor intensive to make. That is why I love this recipe for One Pot Lasagna. It all comes together in my dutch oven. There is no precise layering required! It is easy to make and easy to clean up.
If you do not have a Dutch Oven (I use my 5 quart Le Creuset), you can use any heavy pot that has a lid and is oven safe (about 5-8 quarts in size).
Start by sauteing your onions, garlic, and carrots in olive oil. Once the onions have softened, about 5 minutes, add the sausage and cook thru while crumbling. If you use pork sausage you will want to drain some of the fat off before moving on to the next steps;
Pour in a jar of your favorite marinara sauce. Pour 1 cup of water into the empty marinara jar and shake it with the lid on. Now pour that into the pot. Stir to combine everything.
Break 10-12 oven ready lasagna noodles into 3-4 pieces each. Nest those pieces into the sauce, making sure each piece is covered in sauce.
Dollop the top of the sauce with tablespoons of ricotta cheese.
Sprinkle the cut zucchini on the top.
Place the lid on top and pop it in the oven for 30 minutes.
Then remove the lid and sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 10 minutes. If you want the cheese a little browned, like the picture below, you can turn on the broiler for a few minutes… but watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn the cheese.
Let the Dutch Oven Lasagna rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
One Pot Dutch Oven Lasagna For Dinner
I usually reserve lasagna for the weekend or for a Sunday night family dinner. However, with this easy lasagna recipe you can plan this for a weeknight.
I like to pair this recipe with a green salad or a caesar salad. Sometimes we will have garlic bread as well.
Italian Dinner Night
If your family likes this dinner recipe, here are a few other Italian inspired recipes from Mom’s Dinner to check out:
- Homemade Marinara Sauce
- Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Homemade Pesto
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- Instant Pot Sausage & Kale Potato Soup
I hope you give this recipe for One Pot Dutch Oven Lasagna a try in your kitchen!
One Pot Dutch Oven Lasagna
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 plump garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, sliced into bite size rounds about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage (pork or turkey, mild or hot)
- 1 tsp each- dried basil & dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each- garlic powder & onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- 24 oz marinara sauce
- 1 cup water
- 10-12 oven ready lasagna noodles, broken into 3-4 pieces each
- 15 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 zucchini, cut into bite size chunks
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a Dutch Oven Pot (anywhere from 5-8 quarts in size), over medium heat, saute the onions, carrots, and garlic in oil until the onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground Italian sausage and crumble while cooking thru. Kitchen Tip: If you choose to use a pork sausage you will want to drain some of the oil from the pot before moving on to the next step.
- Stir in the basil, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Pour the jar of marinara and 1 cup of water into the pot. Stir to combine all the ingredientsKitchen Tip: To get ALL the sauce out of the marinara jar, pour the 1 cup of water into the empty jar and shake it around, then pour it into the pot.
- Tuck the broken lasagna noodles into the sauce, so that all pieces are covered with the sauce. See picture.
- Using a spoon, dollop the ricotta cheese across the top of the lasagna. Sprinkle the zucchini across the top.See picture.
- Put the lid on the pot and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid, add the cheese across the top of the lasagna, and bake for an additional 10 minutes.If you like the cheese golden on the top you can broil the lasagna for just a minute or two.
- Let the lasagna rest for 5 minutes before serving.