This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Mom’s Dinner at no cost to you!
Time to break out that new Instant Pot! Sausage and Kale Potato Soup is the perfect delicious and easy recipe to ease you into using your new machine!
It is a broth based soup full of sausage, potatoes, garlic, and fresh kale, with a little cream stirred in at the end to add richness in flavor.
Psssst… If you like Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden, you will LOVE this recipe. (stove top instructions are included if you don’t have an Instant Pot)
The Instant Pot
Ok, so I got an Instant Pot for Christmas. (more on which one I bought and why coming up)
I wanted one.
I was super excited to get one.
Heck, I bought it for myself after all. Isn’t that how all Mom’s receive Christmas presents? Or have I been lying to myself all this time??
However, I was intimidated to say the least.
After one phone convo with my Mom discussing pressure cooker dangers my confidence was waning. Horrible scenarios played on repeat of how this was going to go down.
Let me tell you if there was a game show called “come up with the worst case scenario” I would win the million dollar prize…..
My Nightmare Scenario (all in my head, this did not really happen)
I open my new Instant Pot with delight and decide to make, let’s say pot roast, in this beautiful, shiny new kitchen toy. I gather all the ingredients and assemble what is going to be a super easy and delicious dinner for my family and said dinner will be ready in like 20 minutes. What could possibly go wrong.. this is the best thing ever. This is what kitchen dreams are made of, speed and ease, right!? I set the timer on the Instant Pot, close the lid, and sit down with a steaming mug of tea to watch the latest recorded episode of The Real Housewives. Unbeknownst to me the pressure is building to the point of weaponry in this new little miracle machine. The pot explodes throwing shrapnel through the house and taking out my entire kitchen, hopefully not the whole house.
Anyone else??? Just me??
The real scenario
Ok, that is NOT how it went down at all. The Instant Pot could not be more user friendly, and amazing, and fast, and, well, it’s everything!
It’s my new obsession!
It is not like the pressure cookers of the past where you took your chances by placing it on the stove and hoped like heck it didn’t over heat! This one has all the bells and whistles and safety settings so you won’t blow up your house.
My two favorite settings so far are the saute setting and then, of course, the pressure setting.
I love that I can saute meats and veggies to get a little caramelization before I close it up to cook.
The pressure setting is amazing! It cooks food fast and without a watchful eye. You can literally “set it and forget it” (a favorite quote from 90’s infomercials).
Buying An Instant Pot
I personally have the 6 quart 9-in-1, to be honest I am not sure I will ever use all 9 features (like the sterilize or yogurt), but I guess they are there if I want them. The main features I use are the saute, meat/stew, soup/broth, rice, and pressure cook.
The main reason that I recommend these two Instant Pots is the size, 6 quarts. This gives you the space you need inside the pot to make just about any recipe, for two people or ten people!
Did you know that your Instant Pot can also double as a Slow Cooker!!! I plan to take advantage of that feature more this winter.
Buy the Instant Pot here, thru my affiliate link. It will NOT cost you any extra, it simply supports me and allows me to continue providing awesome recipes for free on Mom’s Dinner! Thank you♥
Make INSTANT POT Sausage & Kale Potato Soup Your Own
Here are a few ideas to change up this recipe without compromising the original flavor:
- If you like spicy food add your desired amount of red pepper flakes when you are sauteing the sausage.
- Try using turkey sausage instead of pork sausage.
- Lighten the calories by using half and half or whole milk instead of heavy whipping cream.
Instant Pot Sausage & Kale Potato Soup for Dinner
This is a favorite winter dinner of ours. It is easy to make, filling, super tasty and leftovers are amazing. To make it a meal we usually just serve a loaf of ciabatta bread that has been warmed in the oven. Or I will whip up a loaf of my 4 Ingredient Beer Bread.
Sometimes I will add a small side salad or Caesar salad.
I hope you give INSTANT POT Sausage & Kale Potato Soup a try in your kitchen!
SAVE THE RECIPE FOR LATER. PIN IT HERE:
Instant Pot Sausage & Kale Potato Soup
- 1 lb Pork Sausage mild, sweet, hot, even turkey sausage- whatever you prefer
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cups russet potatoes peeled, halved lengthwise, then sliced ¼ - ½ inch thick
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 cups fresh kale chopped, hard stem pieces removed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt to taste (TASTE THE SOUP BEFORE SALTING)
- pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to saute mode.
- Add the oil and sausage, cook while crumbling the sausage, until it is cooked thru, about 5 minutes. Add the onions and garlic, saute an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn off saute mode.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes to the sausage mixture.
- Put the lid on and lock in place. Turn the pressure valve to seal. Set the pot to Soup/Broth OR Pressure mode (either will work). Set the timer for 10 minutes. Walk away and let it cook!!
- Turn the pot off after the timer beeps and do a quick release of the pressure.
- Add the kale and cream. The heat of the soup will wilt the kale and warm the cream.