This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Mom’s Dinner at no cost to you!
Instant Pot Sausage & Kale Potato Soup (AKA. Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana) is a broth based soup full of sausage, potatoes, garlic, and fresh kale, with a little cream stirred in at the end to add richness in flavor.
If you like Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden, you will LOVE this recipe.
Buying An Instant Pot
I personally have the 6 quart 9-in-1, to be honest I am not sure I will ever use all 9 features (like the sterilize or yogurt), but I guess they are there if I want them. The main features I use are the saute, meat/stew, soup/broth, rice, and pressure cook.
The main reason that I recommend these two Instant Pots is the size, 6 quarts. This gives you the space you need inside the pot to make just about any recipe, for two people or ten people!
Did you know that your Instant Pot can also double as a Slow Cooker!!! I plan to take advantage of that feature more this winter.
Buy the Instant Pot here, thru my affiliate link. It will NOT cost you any extra, it simply supports me and allows me to continue providing awesome recipes for free on Mom’s Dinner! Thank you♥
How to Make Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Start with your Instant Pot on saute mode. Add a little oil to the bottom of the pot and crumble the sausage while cooking through, about 5 minutes.
If you have a lot of excess grease in the pot, drain the majority of it.
Add the chopped onions and chopped garlic to the sausage. Saute until the onions soften a little, about 5 minutes.
Stir the peeled and sliced potatoes and 6 cups chicken broth into the pot. Turn the saute mode off. Pop the lid on the pot, lock the pressure vent to sealing.
Set the pot to cook on soup or pressure mode for 6 minutes.
At the end of 6 minutes do a quick release of pressure. Stir in a pinch or two of red pepper flakes, 3-4 cups of kale and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.
Taste for salt and pepper seasoning.
Store your Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana for Dinner
This is a favorite winter dinner. It is easy to make, filling, super tasty and leftovers are amazing. To make it a meal simply serve a loaf of ciabatta bread that has been warmed in the oven.
I hope you give Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana a try in your kitchen!
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana Recipe
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 lb Pork Sausage mild, sweet, hot, even turkey sausage- whatever you prefer
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cups russet potatoes peeled, halved lengthwise, then sliced ¼ – ½ inch thick
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 cups fresh kale chopped, hard stem pieces removed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt to taste (TASTE THE SOUP BEFORE SALTING)
- pepper and red pepper flakes to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to saute mode.
- Add the oil and sausage, cook while crumbling the sausage, until it is cooked thru, about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease.Add the onions and garlic, saute an additional 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Turn off saute mode.
- Add the chicken broth and potatoes to the sausage mixture.
- Put the lid on and lock in place. Turn the pressure valve to seal. Set the pot to Soup/Broth OR Pressure mode (either will work). Set the timer for 6 minutes. Walk away and let it cook!!
- Turn the pot off after the timer beeps and do a quick release of the pressure.
- Add the kale and cream. The heat of the soup will wilt the kale and warm the cream.
- Store the leftover soup in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 5 days.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Instant Pot Soup Recipes
If you love making soup in your Instant Pot, here are some other really good recipes to check out:
Originally posted Jan 2018 – Copy and Recipe updated Dec 2019