If you want the very best Veggie Lasagna Recipe, here it is! It is similar to a traditional lasagna having layers of tender lasagna noodles, melty cheese and delicious tomato marinara sauce. But in this veggie filled recipe there are layers of zucchini, carrots, roasted red peppers, and onions too. It is a delicious way to have a hearty lasagna while adding more healthy veggies to your dinner.
You are going to love this Ultimate Veggie Lasagna Recipe! It is made in an 8×8 or 9×9 pan so you will have 4-6 servings. Double the recipe and freeze individual portions for dinner later on!
Now if you are ever short on time but still crave the lasagna flavors, you can pop over to this Easy Lasagna Skillet that is ready in under 30 minutes.
Listed in the Recipe Card below are the ingredients you will need to make this veggie lasagna recipe, below are some tips on a few ingredients:
- No Boil Lasagna Noodles: The recipe is written and tested with no-boil lasagna noodles, sometimes called oven ready noodles. Through the testing process we have found that of all the brands in the grocery store, Barilla is a great brand to use. Especially because this recipe is made in a smaller pan, the Barilla noodles fit perfectly.
- Marinara: If you make your own marinara sauce, by all means use that. But if you are using store bought, Rao’s is an excellent brand to use. It is a little more expensive but definitely, definitely, definitely worth it.
- Shredded Mozzarella: Shredding your own mozzarella is a pain in the butt. BUT it yields a much creamier and smoother melted cheese. If you can find a round of whole milk mozzarella definitely use that!
- Cottage Cheese: Use a creamier 2% or 4% milk fat cottage cheese. If there is a bit of liquid at the top of the cottage cheese, drain that out before using. You can also sub 15oz. container of ricotta cheese if you prefer.
Veggie Lasagna Recipe Step By Step Pictures Instructions
If you love to watch a cooking show you can watch me make this Veggie Lasagna recipe on a 30 minute episode of Pinterest TV!
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
In a skillet over medium-low heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and sauté the sliced carrots and onions for 5-10 minutes.
Add the garlic, herbs/spices and zucchini and sauté another 3 minutes. Off the heat add the chopped roasted red peppers.
In a small bowl combine 16 oz cottage cheese and 1 lightly beaten egg. Set aside.
Time to layer!
Prep an 8×8 (or 9×9) baking dish by spreading ⅓ cup marinara sauce on the bottom.
Top with two oven ready lasagna noodles, then spread with ⅓ of the cottage cheese mixture, add a heaping ⅓ cup of marinara, sprinkle on ⅓ of the veggie mixture, finish with a heaping ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese.
REPEAT THIS STEP 2 MORE TIMES (noodles, cottage cheese, marinara, veggies, mozzarella)
Finish the lasagna with the last layer: 2 lasagna noodles, then top with the remaining sauce and the reamining mozzarella cheese.
Cover the lasagna with foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. That way if your lasagna boils over a smidge it won’t be a mess in your oven!
TIP: lightly grease or spray the backside of your foil so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil during cooking.
Pop the lasagna in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
Let your Veggie Lasagna sit for about 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Vegetable Lasagna Audio Instructions
You can also listen to the recipe on the Let’s Make Dinner Podcast! I share the full recipe and all the tips and tricks included in the recipe card. Use the player below to listen to the full recipe:
After letting your veggie lasagna settle for about 15-20 minutes cut it into squares for serving;
- 2×2 for serving 4 really hungry people!
- 3×2 serving 6 people (usually what I cut)
- 3×3 for serving 9 people
You can freeze your lasagna, either before or after cooking. Just make sure the pan your make it in is freezer and oven safe.
A heavy duty foil pan is also a great option. It also makes for easy clean up!
Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and then foil, pop in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge over night and then bake covered with foil for 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes.
Or you can freeze individual portions of the cooked lasagna for easy lunches or dinners. Just reheat in the microwave.
Side Dishes for Vegetable Lasagna
Just like any Italian dinner a Big Italian Salad or Caesar salad with some warm Garlic Bread or breadsticks is the perfect side dish.
We also like to add Roasted Fennel or Sauteed Garlic Green Bean! A little bowl of Castelvetrano olives could be great too!
More Delicious Lasagna Recipes
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Ultimate Veggie Lasagna Recipe
- 8×8 baking dish (or 9×9)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup carrots thinly cut (coins)
- 1 cup zucchini, cut (coins)
- 3 fresh garlic cloves chopped
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- 16 oz cottage cheese use a 2% or 4% milkfat cottage cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon each: salt, dried basil, dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon each: onion powder and garlic powder
- 8 oven ready no-noil lasagna noodles
- 24 oz jarred marinara we love Rao's
- 2 cup fresh shredded mozzarella (whole milk mozzarella is great!)
- ½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Start by preheating your oven to 400°.
- In a skillet over medium low heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute the 1 cup onions and 1 cup carrots for 5 minutes.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 cup onion, 1 cup carrots
- Add the 3 chopped garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder and zucchini and saute another 3 minutes.1 cup zucchini,, 3 fresh garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon each: salt, dried basil, dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon each: onion powder and garlic powder
- Off the heat stir in the 12 oz drained and chopped roasted red peppers. Set aside.12 oz jar roasted red peppers
- In a small bowl combine 16 oz cottage cheese and 1 lightly beaten egg.16 oz cottage cheese, 1 egg
- I another bowl combine the grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese.½ cup fresh grated parmesan cheese, 2 cup fresh shredded mozzarella
Assembly & Baking
- In an 8×8 OR 9×9 casserole pan spread ⅓ cup sauce on the bottom of the pan.8 oven ready no-noil lasagna noodles, 24 oz jarred marinara
- Lay down 2 lasagna noodles, top with ⅓ of the cottage cheese mixture, heaping ⅓ cup marinara sauce, ⅓ of the veggie mixture, and a heaping ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese. REPEAT THIS STEP 2 MORE TIMES. (noodles, cottage cheese, marinara, veggies, mozzarella)
- For the last layer add 2 lasagna noodles, top with remaining marinara sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the veggie lasagna with greased foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet in case it boils over a little. NOTE: Lightly grease or spray the underside of the foil, this will prevent it from sticking to your cheese!
- Pop in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Let the lasagna rest 15 minutes before cutting and serving. It needs time to set up and the layers to settle.
- This veggie lasagna can be made up to 2 days ahead!
- Simply prepare completely but do not bake. Cover with foil and pop in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Bake as directed above.
Freezing Cooked Lasagna
- Prepare the vegetable lasagna completely and bake. Let it cool completely. Wrap the lasagna in plastic wrap and then foil. Keep frozen for up to 3 months.Also recommend freezing individual slices for smaller lunches and dinners.
- To reheat from frozen:Preheat oven to 400°. Unwrap the lasagna from freezer wrappings. Then cover with foil. Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet.Bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes. Check that it is warmed through with an instant read thermometer in the center of the lasagna, should reach 165 degrees.
- To reheat from thawed:Thaw in the fridge overnight. Preheat oven to 400°Cover with foil. Then place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.Check that it is warmed through with an instant read thermometer in the center of the lasagna, should reach 165 degrees.
- Big Italian Salad
- Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- Roasted Fennel
- Garlic Green Beans
- Garlic Bread
- Castelvetrano Olives
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
comments from my 7 year old: “mom, this smells delicious”… did he try it? no…. but he said it smelled good and that was a big step! I made this when my husband was out of town and I had a girls weekend. My friend had 3 servings and I finished the rest over the next few days. It tastes just as good heated up as leftovers. You cannot go wrong with this recipe!
Very tasty recipe with great instructions. Thanks, Susie! Next time, I will add fresh spinach and mushrooms to the vegetables.
I dig your veggie lasagna recipe, I just made my own and it was delicious thank you for sharing. On another note I liked your video especially the music, if you don’t mind me asking who is the artist?
Not sure on the artist, it is royalty free music from Youtube.