This is the Veggie Lasagna recipe that you have been looking for. It is just like a traditional lasagna and has layers of lasagna noodles, cheese and tomato marinara sauce. But this recipe is full of veggies instead of meat; zucchini, carrots, roasted red peppers, and onions.
If you want to add more veggies to your diet, this is the most delicious way to do it! You are going to love this Ultimate Veggie Lasagna Recipe!
Now if you are looking for an easier lasagna recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes definitely move over to my recipe for Easy Skillet Lasagna. Or if you want a lasagna with a white sauce check out this one for Spinach Artichoke Dutch Oven Lasagna.
Step By Step Pictures Instructions Making The Ultimate Veggie Lasagna
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
In a skillet over medium low heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute the carrots and onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, herbs/spices and zucchini and saute another 3 minutes. Off the heat add the chopped roasted red peppers.
In a small bowl combine 16 oz cottage cheese and 1 lightly beaten egg. Set aside.
Time to layer!
Prep an 8×8 (or 9×9) casserole pan by spreading ⅓ cup marinara sauce on the bottom.
Top with two oven ready lasagna noodles, then spread with ⅓ of the cottage cheese mixture, add a heaping ⅓ cup of marinara, sprinkle on ⅓ of the veggie mixture, finish with a heaping ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese.
REPEAT THIS STEP 2 MORE TIMES (noodles, cottage cheese, marinara, veggies, mozzarella)
Finish the lasagna with the last layer: 2 lasagna noodles, then top with the remaining sauce and the reamining mozzarella cheese.
Cover the lasagna with greased foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. That way if your lasagna boils over a smidge it won’t be a mess in your oven!
TIP: lightly grease or spray the backside of your foil so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil during cooking.
Pop the lasagna in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
Let your Veggie Lasagna sit for about 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Cut your lasagna into squares;
- 3×3 for serving 9 people
- or for larger slices (and a hungrier bunch) cut the lasagna into 3×2 serving 6 people.
This goes great with a big green side salad and garlic bread!
You can freeze your lasagna, either before or after cooking. Just make sure the pan your make it in is freezer and oven safe. A heavy duty foil pan is also a great option.
Cover it tightly with plastic wrap and then foil, pop in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the fridge over night and then bake covered with foil for 40 minutes, remove the foil and bake another 20 minutes.
More Delicious Lasagna Recipes
Ultimate Veggie Lasagna
- 8×8 baking dish (or 9×9)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, thinly cut (coins)
- 1 cup zucchini, cut (coins)
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 16 oz cottage cheese use a 2% or 4% milkfat cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon each: salt, dried basil, dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon each: onion powder and garlic powder
- 8 oven ready no-noil lasagna noodles
- 24 oz jarred marinara we love Rao's
- 2 cup fresh shredded mozzarella
- Start by preheating your oven to 400°.
- In a skillet over medium low heat add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute the 1 cup onions and 1 cup carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the 3 chopped garlic cloves, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon dried basil, ½ teaspoon dried oregano, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon onion powder and zucchini and saute another 3 minutes.
- Off the heat stir in the 12 oz drained and chopped roasted red peppers. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 16 oz cottage cheese and 1 lightly beaten egg.
Assembly & Baking
- In an 8×8 casserole pan (could also use a 9×9 if that is what you have) spread ⅓ cup sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Lay down 2 lasagna noodles, top with ⅓ of the cottage cheese mixture, heaping ⅓ cup marinara sauce, ⅓ of the veggie mixture, and a heaping ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese. REPEAT THIS STEP 2 MORE TIMES. (noodles, cottage cheese, marinara, veggies, mozzarella)
- For the last layer add 2 lasagna noodles, top with remaining marinara sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the veggie lasagna with greased foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet in case it boils over a little. NOTE: Lightly grease or spray the underside of the foil, this will prevent it from sticking to your cheese!
- Pop in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Let the lasagna rest 15 minutes before serving.
- This veggie lasagna can be made up to 2 days ahead!
- Simply prepare completely but do not bake. Cover with foil and pop in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Bake as directed above.
- To freeze your veggie lasagna prepare it completely but do not bake. Wrap the lasagna in plastic wrap and then foil.
- Keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake covered at 400 degrees for 35 minutes, remove the foil and bake an additional 20 minutes.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.