This is the Veggie Lasagna recipe that you have been looking for. It is just like a traditional lasagna and has layers of noodles, cheese and tomato sauce. But this recipe is full of veggies instead of meat: zucchini, carrots, roasted red peppers, and onions.
If you want to add more veggies to your diet, this is the most delicious way to do it! You are going to love this Ultimate Veggie Lasagna Recipe!
Now if you are looking for an easier lasagna recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes definitely move over to my recipe for Easy Skillet Lasagna. Or if you want a lasagna with a white sauce check out this one for Spinach Artichoke Dutch Oven Lasagna.
Step By Step Pictures Making The Ultimate Veggie Lasagna
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
In a skillet over medium low heat add 1 tbsp olive oil and saute the carrots and onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, herbs/spices and zucchini and saute another 3 minutes. Off the heat add the chopped roasted red peppers.
In a small bowl combine 16 oz cottage cheese and 1 lightly beaten egg. Set aside.
Prep an 8×8 (or 9×9) casserole pan by spreading ⅓ cup marinara sauce on the bottom.
Time to layer! Start with two oven ready lasagna noodles, top with ⅓ of the cottage cheese mixture, add a heaping ⅓ cup of marinara, sprinkle on ⅓ of the veggie mixture, finish with a heaping ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese.
REPEAT THIS STEP 2 MORE TIMES
Finish the lasagna with the last layer: 2 lasagna noodles, then top with the remaining sauce and the reamining mozzarella cheese.
Cover the lasagna with greased foil and place on a rimmed baking sheet. That way if your lasagna boils over a smidge it won’t be a mess in your oven!
TIP: lightly grease or spray the backside of your foil so the cheese doesn’t stick to the foil during cooking.
Pop the lasagna in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
Let your Veggie Lasagna sit for about 10-15 minutes before serving.
You can freeze your lasagna, either before or after cooking. Just make sure the pan your make it in is freezer and oven safe. A heavy duty foil pan is also a great option.
Cover it tightly with foil and pop in the freezer.
Baking from Frozen
You have two options when baking a lasagna from the freezer. You can thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake according to the recipe. Or you can bake it straight from frozen, just make sure to increase the cooking time to around 1 hour.
The Ultimate Veggie Lasagna Recipe
Ultimate Veggie Lasagna
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, thinly cut (coins)
- 1 cup zucchini, cut (coins)
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp each: salt, dried basil, dried oregano
- ¼ tsp each: onion powder and garlic powder
- 8 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 24 oz jarred marinara
- 2 cup fresh shredded mozzarella
- Start by preheating your oven to 400°.
- In a skillet over medium low heat add 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute the 1 cup onions and 1 cup carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add the 3 chopped garlic cloves, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp dried basil, ½ tsp dried oregano, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp onion powder and zucchini and saute another 3 minutes.
- Off the heat stir in the 12 oz drained and chopped roasted red peppers. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine 16 oz cottage cheese and 1 lightly beaten egg.
Assembly & Baking
- In an 8×8 casserole pan (could also use a 9×9 if that is what you have) spread ⅓ cup sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Lay down 2 lasagna noodles, top with ⅓ of the cottage cheese mixture, heaping ⅓ cup marinara sauce, ⅓ of the veggie mixture, and a heaping ¼ cup of mozzarella cheese. REPEAT THIS STEP 2 MORE TIMES.
- For the last layer add 2 lasagna noodles, top with remaining marinara sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover the veggie lasagna with greased foil, place on a rimmed baking sheet in case it boils over a little. NOTE: Lightly grease or spray the underside of the foil, this will prevent it from sticking to your cheese!
- Pop in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let the lasagna rest 10 minutes before serving.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.