This is a delicious and easy recipe for Instant Pot Chicken & Rice Soup. So simple that it makes a perfect weeknight dinner. This Instant Pot soup recipe has a flavorful broth with tender pieces of chicken and wild rice blend. Cream of mushroom soup and milk are added at the end to make it nice and creamy.
If you love a soup with wild rice blend also check out this Instant Pot Creamy Wild Rice Soup.
Just a few simple ingredients come together to make this delicious soup recipe. Here are some tips on a few ingredients:
Wild Rice Blend – You will want to use a wild rice blend, not true wild rice. The recipe is written to cook this type of rice. A true wild rice takes much longer to cook. We really like the Royal Blend Rice Blend – see the photo below.
Chicken – You will want to use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this Instant Pot Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe. As always I recommend using an air chilled chicken as it is really good quality and consistent texture.
The nice thing is you can use fresh or frozen chicken for this recipe!
Chicken Base – This ingredient makes all the difference. It adds amazing chicken flavor to the broth. You can find it in the soup aisle at the grocery store. It is a paste form and comes in a jar or tub. We prefer the “Better Than Bouillon” Brand.
Turmeric – This is an ingredient that is also added to this AMAZING Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup (highly recommend you check it out!!!). The turmeric adds a nice earthy depth of flavor. It also is considered an anti-inflammatory, especially when eaten with black pepper.
Step by Step Instructions
This recipe is pretty simple to make thanks to the Instant Pot!
- Sauté the onions, carrots and celery in a little oil.
- Add the seasonings and chicken base, stir around the pot.
- Deglaze the bottom of the pot with the chicken broth.
- Add in the mushrooms, rice and chicken.
- Pressure cook for 12 minutes (14 minutes for frozen chicken).
- Quick Release
- Shred or chop chicken.
- Stir together the milk and cream of mushroom soup, whisk into the soup.
Since this soup recipe already has your starch, protein, and veggies I would keep any side dishes simple.
A raw veggie tray with dip or green side salad and saltine crackers or warm ciabatta or sour dough complete this meal perfectly.
More Instant Pot Soup Recipes
If you love making soup in your Instant Pot, save some of these recipes for dinner tomorrow night:
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup yellow or white onion diced
- 1 cup carrots sliced or diced
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced (baby bella, button or cremini mushrooms)
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 3 plump garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or thyme minced
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon each: garlic powder and onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon chicken base Better Than Bouillon is a great brand
- 32 oz chicken stock or broth
- 2 fresh or frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk can use half & half for a creamier soup
- With the Instant Pot on sauté mode add the oil and soften the onions, garlic, celery, and carrots for 5 minutes.1 tablespoon oil, 1 cup yellow or white onion, 1 cup carrots, 2 celery stalks, 3 plump garlic cloves
- Add the mushrooms, seasonings and chicken base. Stir to combine.1 cup mushrooms, ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon each: garlic powder and onion powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 2 teaspoon chicken base, 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or thyme
- Turn off the sauté mode. Pour in the chicken broth, add the chicken breasts, and wild rice.32 oz chicken stock or broth, 2 fresh or frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1 cup wild rice blend
- Set the Instant Pot to cook for 12 minutes (fresh chicken) OR 14 minutes (frozen chicken).Pro Tip: if using frozen chicken make sure your breasts are not frozen together, they will not cook through if they are in one clump.
- While that cooks, whisk together the cream of mushroom soup and milk. Set aside.10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup, ½ cup milk
- Once the soup is done cooking do a quick release.
- Remove the chicken with a pair of tongs and chop or shred into bite size pieces. Then add back to the soup.
- Stir the mushroom soup/milk mixture into the soup.
- Serve warm with saltine crackers or warm crusty bread on the side.
- Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
- Veggie Tray with Ranch or Blue Cheese Dip
- Green Salad with Vinaigrette
- Warm Ciabatta or Sour Dough
- Saltine Crackers
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.