Creamy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup is delicious comfort food to make in your Electric Pressure Cooker! It is full of veggies, wild rice blend, and white cheddar cheese. This is the best wild rice soup recipe for cold nights.
If you are looking for an Instant Pot Soup with chicken and rice you can check out my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken & Rice Soup.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? That is ok, I have included stove top instructions in the recipe card as well!
In this recipe I use a wild rice blend, which is not true wild rice. Real wild rice that is harvested in the wild in lakes and rivers of Minnesota and Canada can actually be hard to find and is very expensive.
For these reasons, and ease of cooking, I use a wild rice blend which is a mix of white rice, brown rice, red rice, and wild rice.
If you choose to use true wild rice you will need to adjust the cooking time to 45 minutes. I have noted that in the recipe card “notes” below.
How to Make Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
Pour the chicken broth, rice, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and salt into the Instant Pot. Pop the lid on and set it to cook on rice mode for 12 minutes.
Do a quick release of pressure. Fluff the rice and veggies with a fork. Stir in the milk, potato soup, and white cheddar cheese.
Stir the soup until the cheese is completely melted into the soup. If you need more heat you can turn the saute mode on briefly.
Instant Pot Tip: Did you know the saute function has three settings: less, normal, more. Simply push the saute button multiple times and you can see it cycle through on the display screen.
Normal is what I use the most, it is for sauteing, browning and warming. Less is great if you just need to keep something warm or melt cheese without burning. The more function is best for searing or wok style cooking.
Instant Pot Soup Recipes
If you love cooking in your Instant Pot and are always on the lookout for new soup recipes, here are a few for you to check out after you make this Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup recipe:
Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup Recipe
Creamy Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend see note about using real wild rice
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 cup carrots sliced
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 10.5 oz can – cream of potato soup
- 8 oz block of white cheddar grated
Instant Pot Instructions
- Pour in the 1 cup wild rice blend, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 cups chicken broth, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Make sure all the rice is touching or covered by the broth.
- Pop the lid on, lock the pressure vent to seal and set to cook on rice mode for 12 minutes.
- Do a quick release of pressure.
- Stir in the milk, potato soup, and cheese. Stir until the cheese is completely melted into the soup. Note- if you need to add more heat to melt the cheese you can turn on the low saute function (press the saute button a few times until it reads low on the display panel)
Stove Top Instructions
- Note: you will also need 1 tablespoon olive oil if you make this on the stove top.
- With a large pot over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pot and saute the onions. celery, carrots, and garlic for about 10 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the 1 cup wild rice blend, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Pour in the 2 cups chicken broth. Bring the pot to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and pop the lid on the pot. Cook for 15 minutes until the rice is cooked through.(double check the rice cook time on your package of wild rice blend, adjust as needed)
- Fluff the cooked rice and veggies with a fork. Bring the heat up to medium-low and whisk in the milk, potato soup, and shredded cheese.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
We would love to have you comment & rate the recipe!