Homemade Fish Sticks that are crispy on the outside, then flaky and tender on the inside. The best part is you can bake them in the oven, instead of frying. Dip them in a Homemade Tartar Sauce for a fun, kid friendly, family dinner.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make Homemade Baked Fish Sticks.
Panko Bread Crumbs– Make sure you use panko bread crumbs and not traditional bread crumbs. The Panko is a coarser breadcrumb that will help make your fish sticks nice and crispy.
Cod- buy fresh fillets of cod to cut into strips. Other firm fleshed white fish will work too.
What Fish To Use
You will want to use a firm white fish to make proper fish sticks. We like to use fresh cod fillets, although haddock, hake, catfish or tilapia will work too.
Step By Step Baking Instructions
Start by preheating your oven broiler and placing a rack in the middle position in your oven. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
Pat the cod fillet dry with some paper towels. Then cut into 1 inch strips.
Prep your dipping station with 3 shallow bowls:
- flour mixed with the salt
- egg beat together with Dijon mustard and optional cayenne pepper
- panko bread crumbs with onion powder, garlic powder and paprika
Dredge each fillet in the flour, then dip into the egg mixture and finally dredge each fillet into the panko, lightly pressing to make sure it adheres.
Lay on the prepped baking sheet. Repeat with all the fish sticks.
Spray the top of the fish sticks with a little baking spray.
Broil on the middle oven rack for 4 minutes, flip and broil on the other side for another 3-4 minutes.
The fish sticks should reach 145 degree internal temp to be cooked through.
Crispy Fish Sticks make a great family friendly dinner. Serve them with a tartar sauce, baked fries and a veggie.
Homemade Tartar Sauce
It is super easy to make your own tartar sauce. It only requires a couple ingredients. Pop over to this recipe for Homemade Tartar Sauce to make your own. (coming soon)
Or for a spicier version use this Jalapeno Tartar Sauce!
If you prefer to fry your fish sticks you can absolutely do that with this recipe.
Simply prepare the fish sticks as directed on the recipe. Heat about ½ inch of vegetable oil in a pot. Fry the fish sticks until they are golden on both sides.
Drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Homemade Crispy Fish Stick Recipe
- 1 ½ lbs. cod fish fillets cut into 1 inch thick strips
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ tsp. kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper optional
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- nonstick spray
- Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipes linked in notes!
- Preheat your oven broiler and make sure you have a rack in the middle position in your oven.
- Prep a large rimmed baking sheet with foil, and spray with non stick spray.
- Pat the cod fillet dry with some paper towel. Then cut into 1 inch strips.
- Prepare your assembly line with 3 shallow bowls: 1. mix the flour and salt together 2. beat the egg with the Dijon mustard and (optional) cayenne pepper. 3. combine the Panko with the onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Start by dipping a cod strip in the flour mixture, then in the egg, finally dredge in the panko mixture and lightly press to make sure it adheres.
- Lay the coated fish stick on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process with all the fish sticks.
- Spray the top side of the coated fish sticks with the non stick spray.
- Pop in the preheated oven, on the middle oven rack, for about 4 minutes. Flip the fish sticks and broil for another 3-4 minutes. Your fish sticks should reach 145° internal temp to be cooked through.
- Serve with Homemade Tartar Sauce on the side (recipe link in notes).
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.