This is the best Jalapeno Tartar Sauce you will have! Perfect dipping sauce for your fish sticks and crab cakes or topper for your fish tacos and fried catfish! It starts with store bought mayo and pickled jalapenos and comes together in the blender in just about 5 minutes.
Why This Recipe Is SO Good
- It comes together really quickly in a blender or small food processor.
- The flavors are perfectly balanced between creamy (mayo), tart (lime juice), spicy (jalapeno & red onion), and herbaceous (capers and cilantro).
- It is a great way to spice up plain old fried fish sticks or shrimp.
- Pair it with this Cilantro Lime Slaw for killer Fish Tacos!!!
Here are the things you need to make this Jalapeno Tartar Sauce recipe, plus some pro tips on a couple ingredients.
Red Onion – After you slice your red onion, give it a short rinse under cool water. This will rinse away the enzyme that makes the onion flavor stay with you for hours!
Lime Juice – To get the most juice from your lime roll it under the palm of you hand with a good amount of pressure. This will prime the pulp for juicing.
How to Make Jalapeno Tartar Sauce
Pop all your prepped ingredients in a small food processor or blender.
Process for about 15 seconds until everything is well combined and chopped.
Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Can I Make This Without a Blender
If you do not have a blender or small food processor you can definitely still make this Jalapeno Tartar Sauce!
Simply mince all the ingredients with a sharp knife – jalapeno, red onion, cilantro, capers, and garlic. Then stir everything together by hand.
- To add spice, toss in a pinch or two of cayenne pepper or a couple dashes of hot sauce.
- Rinse your sliced red onions to make a milder onion flavor.
Jalapeno Tartar Sauce
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeno peppers minced
- 2 tablespoon (heaping) red onion diced
- 2 tablespoon (heaping) cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoon capers
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Combine all the ingredients in the small food processor or blender and process for approx. 15 seconds.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 5 days.
Without a small food processor or blender
- With a sharp knife simply mince the pickled jalapenos, red onion, cilantro, capers and garlic. Stir them into the mayonnaise and lime juice.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.