On October 31st delight your kids and friends with this Haunted Halloween Brownie Brittle. It is crispy, chocolatey, and delicious (just like Sheila G’s). It makes a great treat or dessert for the Halloween season!
You can also make it any time of year with this recipe for Chocolate Brownie Brittle.
Why This Brownie Brittle is Spookily Delicious
- It is made with triple chocolate- cocoa powder, bitter sweet chocolate and mini chocolate chips.
- All the tips and tricks to get it extra crispy are included.
- It’s the perfect Chocolate Halloween treat that adults and kids will love!
- Add seasonal decorations and sprinkles for other Holidays, like this Christmas Brownie Brittle.
Here are the things that you will need to make Halloween Brownie Brittle, plus parchment paper and a large rimmed baking sheet.
You absolutely must use parchment paper to make Brownie Brittle. If you don’t use parchment the brownie brittle will literally bake TO the pan, leaving you with a huge mess.
18×13 Baking Sheet
You will want to use an 18×13 rimmed baking sheet to make your Haunted Halloween Brownie Brittle. If you do not have that size, you can use two smaller baking sheets and divide the batter between the two pans.
Step By Step Picture Instructions
In a small microwave safe bowl melt together the butter, oil, bittersweet chocolate. Then stir in all the cocoa powder.
With a stand mixer, with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until frothy, about 4 minutes.
Add the vanilla and sugar and whisk another 15 seconds.
Pour in the melted chocolate mixture and whisk another 30 seconds.
In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Add that mixture to the chocolate/egg mixture. Fold it in with a spatula.
Pour the batter onto a parchment lined 18×13 baking sheet. Paint the batter onto the parchment, until it is really really thin. ¼ inch thick AT THE MOST!
Sprinkle on the mini chocolate chips. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and add the edible Halloween decorations, lightly press them in with a spatula.
Bake for another 5-8 minutes. If the edges are not browning at 5 minutes, keep baking until the 8 minute mark.
Score the brownie brittle with a knife or pizza cutter. Then let it cool and crisp for 15-20 minutes. Break apart and enjoy!
Making It Delightfully Spooky
On the brittle pictured we used edible candy eye balls, Halloween sprinkles (just from Target), and candy corn. Use whatever you have in your baking cabinet or that you can grab at your local grocery store.
Or here are some awesome options from Amazon (affiliate links):
Tips To Make it Crispy & Delicious
- Make sure you use parchment paper. It doesn’t work without it.
- Spread the batter really, really thin. It will feel like you are painting the parchment paper with chocolate paint!
- Towards the end of baking keep an eye on your brittle so the edges don’t burn.
- Score the brittle with a sharp knife or pizza cutter right when it comes out of the oven. It will make for easier/cleaner breaking after it dries.
Other Fun Halloween Recipes
Haunted Halloween Brownie Brittle Recipe
- Parchment paper
- 18×13 rimmed baking sheet
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 oz bittersweet baking chocolate (usually 2 or 4 squares)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup candy corn
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- ½ cup candy corn
- ⅓ cup Halloween Sprinkle Mix
- edible eyeball candies, varying sizes
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Completely line a large rimmed baking sheet (18×13 works well, if you don't have that size use two smaller pans) with a piece of parchment paper.Do not skip this step! The recipe will not work without the parchment paper. The brittle will be ONTO the pan without it!
- In a microwave safe bowl melt together the butter, vegetable oil, and the bittersweet chocolate squares, for about 30 seconds. Give it a good stir to make sure the chocolate is completely melted.
- Stir all the cocoa powder into the melted chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or handheld mixer), whisk the egg whites, on medium-high speed, until they are really frothy, about 4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and sugar to the egg whites and whisk another 15 seconds.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the egg white mixture and mix for another 20-30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the flour mixture into the batter and fold it in with a spatula or wooden spoon until it is combined.
- Pour the batter onto the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Using a spatula spread the batter across the parchment paper until it is really, really thin, about ¼ inch thick at most. It will be like you are painting the batter on the parchment paper!
- Make sure you get the batter spread thin enough so it bakes crispy!
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips across the batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes.Remove from the oven and working quickly sprinkle on all your edible Halloween decorations (candy corn, sprinkles, eyeballs, etc…) giving them a light press with a spatula to make sure they stick.
- Place the pan back in the oven for another 5-8 minutes. If the edges aren't browning at 5 minutes continue baking until the 8 minute mark.
- As soon as the brittle comes out the oven it will still be soft, score it with a knife or pizza cutter (into shapes that you want the individual pieces to be).
- Then let it cool for about 15-20 minutes to dry and get crispy.
- Break it apart into bite sized pieces.
- Enjoy your Haunted Halloween Brownie Brittle!!
- Keep your brownie brittle in an airtight container at room temp for up to a week.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.