Chocolate Brownie Brittle is delicious little crispy bites of brownie. It’s like the crispy edge of a brownie in every bite! If you have had Sheila G’s brownie brittle then you will love this homemade brownie brittle recipe! It is actually very easy to make.
It makes an amazing dessert or snack. You can even crumble it over the top a bowl of ice cream and drizzle with a little caramel sauce! YUM!
Also check out this Peppermint Brownie Brittle recipe, perfect for the holidays!
TL;DR – too long didn’t read – you can also watch the brownie brittle web story on how to make brownie brittle!
I have made this quite a few times and I find that the whole process goes a lot smoother if you collect all the ingredients before you get started! Here is what you need:
- vegetable oil
- bittersweet chocolate baking squares
- cocoa powder
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- kosher salt
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Another supply that you absolutely must use is parchment paper! The paper allows the brittle to bake without sticking to the baking pan. If you do not use parchment paper the brittle will literally bake ONTO the pan. LOL!
How to Make Brownie Brittle
Start by preheating your oven to 325 degrees. Prep a large rimmed baking sheet (13×18) by completely covering in parchment paper (Do not skip this step!!).
Now place the butter, vegetable oil, and chocolate squares in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for about 30 seconds and give it a good stir, microwave for another few seconds if the chocolate doesn’t melt all the way.
Stir the cocoa into the melted chocolate mixture. Set that aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or a handheld mixer with a whisk attachment), whisk the 2 egg whites until they are frothy, about 4 minutes. Then pour in the sugar and vanilla extract. Mix another 15 seconds.
Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg white mixture. Whisk for another 20-30 seconds.
In a small bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. Pour that mixture into the batter and fold it in, until it is combined.
Pour the batter out onto the parchment paper. With a spatula spread the batter out REALLY THIN. It will be like painting the parchment paper. The batter should only be about a ¼ inch thick on the paper, from edge to edge. If you don’t get it spread thin enough the brittle will not be crispy.
Sprinkle the batter with the mini chocolate chips.
Bake for 15 minutes (up to 18 minutes if the edges aren’t getting burnt). Watch the brittle closely towards the end of the cooking time to make sure the edges don’t burn.
As soon as the brittle comes out of the oven, score it with a knife or pizza cutter. This will help you break it apart when it is ready.
Let it cool for about 15 minutes and then break it apart at the scored lines.
Store your Brownie Brittle in an airtight container at room temp for up to a week.
This makes an amazing edible gift! Package them up in a cellophane gift bag with a fancy ribbon, then attach this FREE PRINTABLE GIFT TAG:
Chocolate Brownie Brittle Recipe
Chocolate Brownie Brittle
- Parchment paper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 squares bittersweet baking chocolate (equals 1 ounce)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large egg whites
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup mini semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Completely line a large rimmed baking sheet (18×13 works well) with a piece of parchment paper. Do not skip this step! The recipe will not work without the parchment paper. The brittle will be ONTO the pan without it!
- In a microwave safe bowl melt together the butter, vegetable oil, and 4 bittersweet chocolate squares, for about 30 seconds. Give it a good stir to make sure the chocolate is completely melted. Stir the cocoa powder into the melted chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment (or handheld mixer), whisk the egg whites until they are really frothy, about 4 minutes. Add the vanilla extract and sugar to the egg whites and whisk another 15 seconds. Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the egg white mixture and mix for another 20-30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Pour the flour mixture into the batter and fold it in with a spatula or wooden spoon until it is combined.
- Pour the batter onto the parchment paper. Using a spatula spread the batter across the parchment paper until it is really thin, about ¼ inch thick at most. It will be like you are painting the parchment paper! Make sure you get the batter spread thin enough so it bakes crispy!
- Sprinkle the mini chocolate chips across the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes (if the edges aren't burning or browning, bake up to 18 minutes). Watch the pan towards the end of the cooking time so the edges don't burn.
- As soon as the brittle comes out the oven it will still be soft, score it with a knife or pizza cutter (into shapes that you want the individual pieces to be). Then let it cool for about 15-20 minutes to dry and get crispy. Break it apart into bite sized pieces.
- Enjoy your Chocolate Brownie Brittle!!
- Keep your brownie brittle in an airtight container at room temp for up to a week.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.