When you need something new for Taco Tuesday you can turn to these amazing Grilled Steak Tacos. They are made with a marinated Top Sirloin Steak that is grilled to perfection. Pile the thinly sliced steak in a warm corn tortilla and drizzle on some Chipotle Lime Crema and Pico De Gallo. You will be saying YUM to the last bite.
Add some chips with guacamole, Mexican Rice and Refried Beans. And don’t forget to whip up a Margarita on the Rocks (or your favorite tequila cocktail).
This Recipe Is…
- A perfect summer dinner.
- Great alternative to a traditional ground beef taco or shredded chicken taco.
- An elevated Mexican recipe that your whole family will love on taco night.
- Made with a more economical cut of beef, Top Sirloin.
- Restaurant style tacos at home!
The Grilled Steak Tacos are made with pretty simple ingredients, pictured is everything you need:
Top Sirloin Steak: Find a Top Sirloin that is around 1 .5-2 lbs. This is a lean cut of beef so you will want to make sure you don’t cook it past medium. (this is the cut of beef also used in these Garlic Butter Steak Bites.)
Chipotle in Adobo: these are smoky little peppers that come in a can. You can find them near the Mexican foods at the grocery store. Don’t be fooled, they are spicy! So you will not want to use a whole can for the crema, just pull 3 out of the can. You can freeze the rest for up to a year.
Follow these tips to make sure your Mexican Steak Tacos turn out perfect!
- Grill your steak over direct heat to a medium-rare/medium, 135-145 internal temperature.
- Getting a few charred pieces on the steak are super delicious.
- Use an instant read thermometer to make sure you cook the steak just right.
- Let the steak cool for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing, this allows the juices to redistribute & reabsorb in the steak.
- Slice the steak into thin strips across the grain.
- Heat your corn tortillas in the microwave, oven or skillet before eating, this will make them more pliable and they won’t crack and tear.
- Add any of your favorite toppings for tacos!
The 1.5-2lb. Sirloin Steak, sliced thin, will make about 10-12 tacos, making the tacos with about 3 strips each. If you are serving 2-3 tacos per person this will serve 4-5 people.
We recommend serving these tacos “buffet style” so that everyone can assemble their own tacos.
Then add some Mexican Rice, Refried Beans and Cilantro Lime Pineapple on the side.
More Taco Recipes
We love a good taco around here! Here are some more to try next Taco Tuesday:
Did you make this recipe?!
If you make this recipe I would love to hear your review. Pop down to the comment section and connect with me.
Then sign up for our Weekly Newsletter so you never miss a new recipe!
Grilled Steak Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- Grill (gas or charcoal)
Grilled Steak Taco Marinade
- 1 ½ – 2 lbs. Top Sirloin Steak
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3 large cloves garlic chopped
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
Chipotle Lime Crema
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 3 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce finely diced
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoon milk
- corn or flour tortillas
- Simple Pico De Gallo store bought or use this recipe https://momsdinner.net/pico-de-gallo/
Marinating the Steak
- In a glass baking dish whisk together the Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, vegetable oil, sugar, cumin, chili powder, ground coriander, onion powder, garlic and kosher salt.
- Using a fork, poke holes all over 1 side of the steak. Place the steak in the dish with the marinade and turn to coat both sides evenly with the marinade.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-8 hours (remove the steak from the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling and let set at room temp.)
- Prepare the grill – you will want to set your grill up for high/direct heat. While the grill heats up take the steak out of the fridge and let it sit at room temp for about 30 minutes. This is called tempering and will help your steak cook up more evenly.)
- Grill the steak, covered, for 4-5 minutes per side for medium/rare (135 degrees with an instant read thermometer).The charred bits are extra tasty!
- Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest on a cutting board for 5-10 minutes.
- Thinly slice the meat against the grain.
- Make the Chipotle Lime Crema by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. (you can also make this when you make the marinade for the steak and just store it in the fridge)
- Lightly char or warm the flour or corn tortillas over an open flame, either directly on the gill or over a gas cooktop. Alternately warm in the microwave or oven.
- Top the tortillas with the thinly sliced grilled steak, pico de gallo and a generous drizzle of the chipotle lime crema.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
We would love to have you comment & rate the recipe!