Creamy Mushroom Pasta is delicious al dente pasta, sauteed garlic and earthy mushrooms coated in a creamy parmesan sauce. This is an uncomplicated pasta recipe with straightforward flavors and 8 simple ingredients.
This pasta and mushroom dish makes an easy dinner. Simply pair it with a green salad and some warm bread for an delicious dinner.
For this dish I recommend using cremini mushrooms, which are actually baby portobello mushrooms. You may even see them called “baby portobellos” in the store.
Of course you can use whatever mushrooms you prefer. Just make sure you cut them nice and thick so they still have a bite to them after they are sauteed for 10 minutes!
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Pasta
Start by cooking your pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse the pasta slightly with cool water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
Meanwhile in a large skillet with tall sides, add 3 tbsp of butter and melt over medium heat. Add the thick sliced mushrooms and chopped garlic. Saute for about 10 minutes until the mushrooms are softened.
Add 1 tbsp butter to the pan and let it melt completely. Sprinkle the mushrooms with 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp all purpose flour. Stir the flour around the pan to coat the mushrooms, about 1 minute to cook the raw flour taste out.
Pour in 1 cup heavy whipping cream and ½ cup milk, Stir around the pan until it is thickened.
Troubleshooting cream sauce
Remove from the heat and stir in ½ cup shredded parmesan and the cooked pasta, stir until the cheese is melted and the pasta is coated.
Serve garnished with dried basil, dried parsley, or chives.
Making it Your Own
This is a really simple recipe, so you can absolutely add some things to make it your own. Here are some ingredients that would pair well with the flavors:
- Fresh spinach
- Sauteed Shrimp
- Stir in a couple spoonfuls of pesto
Storing & Reheating
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat portion single servings into a microwave safe bowl, stir in a little milk to reconstitute the sauce. Microwave for about 1 minute. Stir. Microwave for an additional 20-30 seconds.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta for Dinner
This pasta dish serves 4 people, but I do recommend serving it with a green salad and warm bread.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 8 oz (penne) pasta cooked per package instructions
- 10-16 oz cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced thick
- 3 plump fresh garlic cloves add more if you love garlic!
- 4 tbsp butter divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup milk recommend 2% or whole
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
Optional Add Ins:
- Fresh spinach, sauteed shrimp, chicken, asparagus or stir in a couple spoonfuls of pesto
- In a large skillet with tall melt 3 tbsp butter over medium – medium/low heat. Stir in the sliced mushrooms and garlic cloves and saute for about 10 minutes.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in the pan.
- Stir in the 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp all purpose flour and stir around the pan for 1 minute to coat the mushrooms and cook out the raw flour taste.
- Pour in the 1 cup heavy cream and ½ cup milk. Simmer lightly until it is thickened.
- Off the heat add the 8 oz cooked pasta and ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese. Stir until the pasta is coated with the sauce and the cheese is melted.
- Serve with a green salad and warm bread!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.