Creamy Instant Pot Risotto mixed with mushrooms, garlic, wine, and parmesan is made easily in your electric pressure cooker. The risotto grains cook perfectly in the Instant Pot without a watchful eye. This Instant Pot Risotto recipe makes an amazing side dish or entree!
If you love risotto then definitely check out these other Instant Pot Risotto Recipes:
Rice for Risotto
There are a lot of rice options out there: white, brown, long grain, wild, jasmine, basmati, just to name a few. But when you are making a Risotto recipe you want to make sure you are using an arborio rice, which is an Italian short grain rice. There are other options, but arborio is the most commonly found risotto rice.
Rinsing Your Rice
All rice, including arborio rice, is covered in a rice starch dust that will thicken during the cooking process and make your rice creamy and possibly clump together. That is why when you are making simple white or brown rice it is a good idea to rinse your rice before cooking.
When you are making a creamy rice, like Risotto, you do not want to rinse your rice. The rice starch will help add to the creaminess of your final risotto dish.
Customize Your Instant Pot Risotto
You can also change or add some ingredients to suit your tastes. Here are a few ideas:
- Add peas – this is a favorite! Stir in frozen peas when you add the milk and parmesan cheese.
- Use romano cheese in place of the parmesan
- Add chopped shallots with the mushrooms and garlic.
- Mix in some fresh lemon zest when you add the parmesan cheese.
How to Make Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
Turn your Instant Pot on to saute mode (normal), and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter. Add 2 cups of chopped cremini mushrooms, chopped in about ½ inch chunks, and 5 plump cloves of garlic, roughly chopped. Saute, stirring for about 5 minutes.
Stir in 1 ½ cups dry arborio rice and 1 teaspoon of salt. Saute with the mushrooms and garlic for about 2 minutes, stirring the majority of the time.
Pour in 1 cup of dry white wine. Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay make good choices. When the wine hits the bottom of the hot pot, immediately scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Pour in 3 cups of chicken stock. Scrape the sides of the pot down so all the bits are down in the liquid.
Turn off the saute mode. Pop the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the pressure vent to “seal”. Set the pot to manual pressure mode, on high, for 7 minutes. At the end of time, do a 10 minute natural release, then quick release any remaining pressure.
Stir in ¾ cup milk (use 2%, whole, or half & half) and 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese. If you want to add frozen peas, add them now.
Give it a taste for additional seasoning and serve immediately : )
To reheat your leftover risotto, simply add a little milk or water to each portion and heat it in the microwave for about 1 minute. Give it a stir to mix and eat!
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto Recipe
Instant Pot Mushroom Risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms chopped into ½ inch chunks
- 5 plump garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups dry arborio rice Do not rinse your rice! You want the extra starch
- 1 cup white wine Pinot Grigio or Chardonnay
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup milk 2%, whole, or half & half
- Optional** Frozen Peas
- With your Instant Pot on Saute mode add 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 tbsp butter. Once the butter in melted stir in the mushrooms and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the 1 ½ cups arborio rice and 1 tsp salt to the pot, saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the 1 cup of white wine, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in the chicken broth and scrape the side of the pot down, so all the rice, mushrooms, and garlic are in the liquid.
- Turn off saute mode.
- Pop the lid on the pot and turn the pressure vent to "sealing".Set the pot to cook on manual pressure, high, for 7 minutes.Do a 10 minute natural release and then quick release any remaining pressure.
- Stir in the ¾ cup milk and 1 cup parmesan cheese. If using frozen peas, add them now.Taste for additional seasoning and serve!
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.
Instant Pot Recipes
If you love your Instant Pot as much as I do, definitely check out some of the other Instant Pot Recipes on Mom’s Dinner!
Some favorites are: