This Chicken & Mushroom Crepe recipe is excellent for brunch or dinner, and can even be made ahead for easy prep. The filling has a flavor combo of chicken, mushrooms, garlic and white wine all wrapped in a flour crepe. Then it is topped with a delicious cream sauce.
There are two sets of ingredients for this recipe- the chicken filling and the cream sauce.
Chicken– I like to use rotisserie chicken in this recipe to keep things easy. (Hello Costco Chicken!)
You can absolutely make your own crepes for this recipe. I usually follow the Martha Stewart recipe for Simple Crepes and make 6 inch crepes.
I like to use an electric crepe maker when making batches of crepes. It makes quick work of this delicate task.
Simply dip the crepe maker in the batter, flip it over, cook for about 15 seconds and then flip it over and let it fall onto a plate!
However, you can also buy store bought pre-made crepes to keep things really simple.
Step by Step Picture Instructions
Start by preheating your oven to 300 degrees and spraying a 9×13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
If you are making your own crepes, go ahead and do that now.
In a large skillet over medium heat add the butter and sauté the onions, garlic and mushrooms, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle in the flour and cook, while stirring, for about 1 minute.
Whisk in the chicken broth, cream, wine, salt, pepper and nutmeg, and simmer over low heat for about 3 minutes, until it is thickened.
Remove from the heat and stir in the cooked chicken and chives. Let cool about 5 minutes before rolling the crepes.
Lay out 1 crepe, place 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken filling down the center. Roll the crepe around the filling.
Place the filled crepe, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish.
Continue filling and rolling crepes until all the filling is used (about 10 crepes).
Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile make the Cream Sauce.
Place the now empty skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, while stirring, for 1 minute.
Whisk in the chicken broth and half and half. Simmer for a couple minutes until it thickens. Season with salt, pepper and pinch of nutmeg.
To serve place one or two crepes on a plate, drizzle with the béchamel sauce and garnish with sliced almonds and/or chopped chives.
These Chicken Crepes are delicate enough to be served at brunch, but can also be filling enough to serve at dinner. Here are some menu ideas for both:
Brunch – Chicken Crepes, Scrambled Eggs, Coffee Cake Muffins, Fresh Fruit and a Spinach Salad.
Dinner – Chicken Crepes, Wild Rice Pilaf, Oven Roasted Asparagus, and a Spinach Salad.
Tips to Make Ahead
If you are entertaining or want to do some meal prep, you can make these ahead and store in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
Simply make the chicken filling and cool completely. Fill the crepes and place in the baking dish.
Pop in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When it is time to eat place the crepes in the oven and make the cream sauce.
Savory Chicken and Mushroom Crepes
- 10 Crepes store-bought or homemade (recipe linked below)
- 1 cup yellow or white onion diced
- 1 ½ cups white mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup half & half
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon white wine (chardonnay or pinot grigio works well)
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups cooked chicken diced (rotisserie chicken or poached chicken works well here)
- ⅓ cup chives chopped
- Optional- sliced almonds and/or chives for garnish
- Start by preheating the oven to 300°. Prepare a 9×13 pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- If you are making your own crepes, go ahead and do that now. Recipe linked in notes.
Chicken Crepe Filling
- Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat, sauté onions, garlic and mushrooms until the onions become translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the half and half, chicken broth, white wine, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer over medium low heat until it thickens, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken and chives. Let cool for 10 minutes before rolling into the crepes.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture down the center of one crepe. Roll the crepe around the filling. Carefully place in the prepared 9×13 pan, putting the seam on the crepe on the bottom. You should have enough filling to fill about 10 crepes.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
White Cream Sauce
- While the crepes bake make the cream sauce.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat melt the butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and half & half. Simmer over medium low heat until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve place one or two crepes on each plate and then drizzle with cream sauce and garnish with chives and/or sliced almonds.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.