This Chicken & Mushroom Crepe recipe is excellent for brunch, lunch or dinner. They are delicate enough to be included in a brunch menu yet filling enough to be served at dinner. The flavor combo of chicken, mushrooms, garlic and white wine is perfection in this recipe!
I think I have told you before that most of my jobs have been affiliated with food. For 6 years I worked as the sales director at an event facility. I worked with brides and grooms planning weddings, nonprofits doing fundraisers, cute kids planning bar mitzvahs, and companies scheduling their sales meetings. I really did love that job! That particular location really did everything right, for the customer. Something I came to appreciate once I moved on to other jobs!!! But those are stories for another day.
One of my favorite dishes that we offered were the Chicken Crepes. I’m not quite sure how Chef perfectly executed crepes for groups of 100 or more! Can you imagine handling 200 + crepes? I guess that’s what he was trained to do, right?! Anyhow, it was the entree that I always recommended if I was helping a “ladies” event, and it was always a favorite.
When I came across this recipe on cooks.com I was so excited! I knew it would be somewhat similar to the crepes I loved. Of course, I have tweaked it a smidge to fit my taste and available time! I take 2 shortcuts that, I think, actually enhance the recipe:
- You guessed it- Rotisserie Chicken.
- Premade Crepes. These are great->
Unfortunately, I do not have time in my schedule to make delicate homemade crepes AND slow roast a chicken for this recipe… (who has time for that?). Luckily Costco makes a mean rotisserie chicken and Melissas Produce has wonderful crepes that are delicate and delicious! I have found that these premade crepes are a “seasonal” item in my grocery store. They are really only available in the spring and part of the summer. Amazon to the rescue! I’m not sure if they carry them year round, but you can find them here. If you are not able to find premade crepes and you do not have time to order them you can follow this recipe here for homemade crepes.
The really wonderful part of this recipe is that you can make them ahead! This is a great time saver during a busy week or a weekend full of house guests. See the notes section of the recipe below for details on making them ahead.
If you are entertaining for breakfast or brunch pair the chicken and mushroom crepes with fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, store bought pastries, and mimosas. If you choose to serve these at dinner a great menu could include roasted asparagus, wild rice pilaf, a salad, and sauvignon blanc.
I hope you give this Chicken & Mushroom Crepes recipe a try in your kitchen.
Chicken & Mushroom Crepes
- 2 1/2 cups rotisserie chicken diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 T white wine
- 1/4 cup chives chopped
- 1/2 t salt
- pepper to taste
- Optional- sliced almonds and/or chives for garnish
WHITE CREAM SAUCE
- 3 T butter
- 3 T flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 300. Prepare a 9x13 pan by spraying with cooking spray.
- Add butter to a large skillet, saute onions, garlic and mushrooms until the onions become translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and the cream. Simmer over medium low heat until it thickens. Add chicken, chives, wine, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes before rolling into the crepes.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture down the center of one crepe. Roll the crepe around the filling. Carefully place in the prepared 9x13 pan, putting the seam on the crepe on the bottom. You should have enough filling to fill about 10 crepes. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- To serve place 2 crepes on each plate and then drizzle with cream sauce and garnish with chives or sliced almonds.
WHITE CREAM SAUCE
- In a large skillet melt the butter. Add the flour to the butter and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in the chicken broth and the cream. Simmer over medium low heat until it thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.