Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookies are just the cookie recipe you need to get you in the Holiday Spirit! They are a classic Chocolate Chip Cookie with Holiday M&M’s added, which makes them a crowd pleaser that kids and adults will love. They are also a great cookie to sit by the Christmas tree for Santa on Christmas Eve!
Great Christmas Cookie
- They are so easy to make, even the kids can help.
- The recipe only calls for simple ingredients that can all be found at your local grocery store.
- It is basically a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe with M&M’s added, so kids will LOVE them!
- The red and green color makes them perfect for the holiday season.
Pictured are the ingredients that you need to make Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies, plus some tips on a few ingredients:
Semisweet Chocolate Chips – These are traditionally used in chocolate chip cookies. However you can absolutely swap out dark chocolate chunks, milk chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
M&M’s – Purchase a 10oz bag of red and green M&M’s for this recipe. You may have to look in the Holiday Candy section or the baking aisle.
Secret to Pretty Cookies
Do you ever make a cookie and then think, “why don’t they look like the pretty pictures on the recipe!?”?
One of the secrets to making pretty cookies is saving some of the mix-in ingredients (like chocolate chips, M&M’s, marshmallows, or nuts) to press onto the outside of the cookie dough balls. See below for visual reference:
That way the pretty parts of the cookie are showing…like the Holiday M&M’s in this recipe, and they don’t all bake into the dough.
Step by Step Picture Instructions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable silpat.
In a medium sized bowl stir together the dry ingredients: all purpose flour, baking soda, and kosher salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or hand held electric mixer cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar for about 2 minutes.
Add the vanilla extract and then the eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
Slowly add the flour mixture to the cookie batter. Do not overmix at this point, just until combined.
Now with a wooden spoon stir in the chocolate chip and 1 cup of the holiday M&M’s (reserving the rest for the outside of the cookies!).
MAKE AHEAD: At this point you can chill the dough for up to 3 days or you can bake them right away. If you choose to chill the dough for more than 4 hours you may need to let it sit at room temp for 20 minutes before scooping into cookies.
Scoop rounded tablespoons full of cookie dough and drop onto the prepared cookie sheet. Using a cookie scoop makes quick work of this task (it also makes a great stocking stuffer)!
Now use the leftover M&M’s to dot the top and sides of the cookie dough balls.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies are just turning golden brown around the edges.
Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then move to a wire rack for cooling.
Store your Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookies at room temperature in a covered container for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze your cookies for up to 3 months.
They also make an excellent cookie to leave for Santa!
More Yummy Christmas Cookies
Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup butter softened (2 sticks)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 10 oz bag Christmas M&M's (red and green) Divided
- Start by preheating the oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a reusable silpat.
- In a medium sized bowl stir together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment (or a bowl with a hand mixer), cream together the 2 sticks of softened butter, sugar and brown sugar for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract and then one egg at a time, mix until it is completely combined. Pro Tip: crack your eggs into a separate dish and then pour into the mixing bowl, this ensures you don't have any shell pieces in your cookies!
- Now slowly add the flour mixture, just mix until it all comes together, don't overmix at this point.
- With a wooden spoon stir in the 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup M&M's into the cookie dough.
- IF MAKING AHEAD: At this point you can cover the dough and pop in the fridge for up to 3 days. If you chill for more than 4 hours you may need to set the cookie dough at room temperature for 20 minutes to take the chill off before scooping the cookies. Then bake as directed below.
- If you are not making the cookie dough ahead of time, proceed with the instructions below:
- Drop heaping tablespoons full onto the prepared baking sheet. A cookie scoop is a great tool to use for this task.
- Use the extra M&M's to dot the outside of the cookies, lightly press them onto the tops and sides so they stick. This makes for a more pronounced red and green Holiday look!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes JUST until the edges are starting to look golden brown. If you are baking in batches place the remaining cookie dough in the fridge until you are ready for the second batch.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes. Then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- These M&M Cookies are excellent served with a cold glass of milk for dunking or a hot glass of cocoa!
- Store your Chocolate Chip Christmas Cookies at room temperature, in a covered container, for up to 5 days.
- They can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
If nutrition facts are provided they are calculated as an estimate to the best of our knowledge.